Emby Theater

Luke

Starlionblue

As long as you maximise ET and close it the first time, it seems to stay that way. Worst case you can make a shortcut and set it to "maximised" to force full screen.

• Like 1

Diedrich

Anybody else have to launch ET twice to get it to run? and then there are two Electron executables running in Windows.

No, it might be busy unpacking the latest release. I would just be patient and allow it to start.

AdrianW

No, it might be busy unpacking the latest release. I would just be patient and allow it to start.

This is why we need a "please wait" splash screen during updates.

infinitereality

As far as the theme goes, yes, explore the display settings in the app to choose between the vertical and horizontal home screens.

I did set it to desktop with no luck, but will set it to horizontal after work today.  Makes sense for sure.

As long as you maximise ET and close it the first time, it seems to stay that way. Worst case you can make a shortcut and set it to "maximised" to force full screen.

I'm pretty sure I've maximized it and closed it and is fine, but will double check to be sure.  I do have the shortcut set to maximized already which works for reboots.  Just when I hit the off button, even though it's maximized at the time, when I turn it back on it's then just a window.  My computer  doesn't sleep or anything, so technically when I turn it back on or as I switch activities it should be just as I left it.  I may need to double check stuff in the Harmony app as well, I've only checked stuff on the PC hardware as of now.

swhitmore

Anyone here using Logitech Harmony remote with their HTPC? One thing I can't figure out is when I hit the off button and come back to turn it back on, Emby is only a window (in the upper left corner) and not full screen like I left it. 

I've had similar issues and others related to this, so now I use AutoHotKey to make sure I force close Emby every time I turn off the TV. If you need a script, let me know. I use the same one to close Emby and open Chrome fullscreen to youtube.tv and Steam Big Picture mode. Works well.

• Like 1

TrainAss

Not 

I've had similar issues and others related to this, so now I use AutoHotKey to make sure I force close Emby every time I turn off the TV. If you need a script, let me know. I use the same one to close Emby and open Chrome fullscreen to youtube.tv and Steam Big Picture mode. Works well.

Don't even need a script, in the Harmony software, have it send Alt+F4 command to close Emby before it issues the power off command. Then when starting up, pin Emby Theater to the taskbar and use Win+1 command to launch the shortcut at power up. It'll full-screen automatically as that's the last mode ET was in.

• Like 1

Starlionblue

Not 

Don't even need a script, in the Harmony software, have it send Alt+F4 command to close Emby before it issues the power off command. Then when starting up, pin Emby Theater to the taskbar and use Win+1 command to launch the shortcut at power up. It'll full-screen automatically as that's the last mode ET was in.

+1. Works great, except when Windows throws a major update and sneaks a random new Taskbar shortcut (Yes, I'm looking at you, Edge...) into pole position.

I have Emby in position one, and a restart Windows script in position two.

Side note: When Windows throws a major update, your problems are just beginning. They tend to break things like NIC teaming in massively irreversible ways that take hours to pointlessly troubleshoot until you start to rethink your life choices, take solace in red wine and ultimately reinstall Windows from scratch while nursing a hangover... :wacko:

Edited by Starlionblue

mrfaulk

dumb question i'm sure, but here goes....

when i stream a movie file located on my server using emby web client, is stream quality dictated by browser ability? i've read that netflix, for example, can only be streamed at 720p max using chrome/firefox (altho there does seem to be a browser extension available that forces higher resolutions) whereas edge can stream 1080p (4k with the right cpu)... does any of this effect emby via the web client?

infinitereality

Not 

Heck yeah, even better.  It's already pinned to the number 1 spot, so I'll set the hotkeys to do just this.  Thanks!!

Also, I set it to horizontal last night back to the old one again.  I believe it was maybe confused in auto mode.

The 2 minor things are easy fixes, back in business!  Have I mentioned how much I love ET and the support on this forum?? :)

It should not no. The web app will adjust based on browser capabilities.

infinitereality

I was using the program on my HTPC, if the reply was directed at me.  If not please ignore me. :)

Edited by infinitereality

mrfaulk

was this in response to my question? if so, does that mean a browser capable of only 720p will limit file resolution if streamed through the web client?

Edited by mrfaulk

Browsers don't have that those kinds of limits. The limits are with the devices they're on.

mrfaulk

Browsers don't have that those kinds of limits. The limits are with the devices they're on.

good to know, was a bit confused by these sort of articles....

Confirmed: Only Microsoft Edge will play Netflix content at 1080p on your PC...

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3095259/browsers/confirmed-only-microsoft-edge-will-play-netflix-content-at-1080p-on-your-pc.html

Diedrich

Anybody else have to launch ET twice to get it to run? and then there are two Electron executables running in Windows.

I've tested your theory and waiting doesn't help. I still have to launch the program twice just to get the program running. After doing that twice, there are 3 electron executables that run.

Prior to the first launch there are no exe files running. After the first launch there are no exe files running. It's not until the second launch that there are exe files running.

Edited by Diedrich

If it is unpacking a release you don't have to launch twice. All you have to do is be patient and it will launch on it's own.

daedalus

If it is unpacking a release you don't have to launch twice. All you have to do is be patient and it will launch on it's own.

people get impatient more quickly if they don't know what's going on

why not simply throwing an informational message just like the server does?

people get impatient more quickly if they don't know what's going on

why not simply throwing an informational message just like the server does?

Yes that is something we need to do.

• Like 1

Diedrich

This isn't the case. I'm running a Ryzen 5 1600 (6c12t) with 16GB RAM, I let it sit for 10 minutes after the first launch - it never launched.

Right because you already seem to have background processes stuck therefore nothing can update. You would have only gotten to this point by previously launching multiple times, based on what daedalus and I just talked about.

mrfaulk

I've been customising certain elements of ET using the 'windowstyle.css' file. It has now been removed and is no longer recognised if I add it back.

Among other edits; I remove the 'tutti-fruity' colouring (See screenshots below), which I find 'cheapens' the look of the Emby-Theater app and for me makes it irritating to look at.

how are you able to see the app code for easy editing? for example, it's pretty easy to edit the web client using chrome's "inspect" feature or firefox's "inspect element" feature, which allow you to quickly identify the code and css you want to change, and from there it's just a matter of making the changes online using emby's configuration page (settings > branding > custom css:) or making the changes to local files in the emby server folder(s) (which will of course be overwritten on updates).

but when editing the app, and using the windowstyle.css file, i can't find an easy way to identify the code i want to edit in the app, other than identifying the code using the web client, and seeing if it works on the app as well (often times it does, sometimes it doesn't)... but for things like the "tutty-fruity" section you mentioned, the web client doesn't have it so trying to use the web client code is of no use (as far as i can tell).

speaking of editing, am hoping for a little help with the following:

1. is there a way to set up a keymap file (as with kodi) that will let you refresh the app so you can see your windowstyle edits on the fly? or is the only way to do this is to sign out/in, or close/restart the app?

2. is there an easy way to upload/import a a custom theme that you've made? for example, as a test, i copied the "verydark" theme, used notepad++ to batch-change the green highlight color (#52b54b) to a color of my choice, and saved it as "custom1" in the same folder as "verydark" (emby-server\sytem\dashboard-ui\bower_components\emby-webcomponents\themes), but it didn't show up as a color option once i relaunched the emby server - i then added the custom file to the site.js file, along with the other theme references, but hat didn't seem to work either.

Mobius

Hi mrfaulk

how are you able to see the app code for easy editing?...

I wasn't able to. I originally made an account at Git and forked ET from here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-web-defaultskin.

I was going to make a custom skin myself, so I downloaded a copy from github and spend sometime looking through the code to find what I needed to edit.

In the end though, it was too much for the simple edits I wanted to make, ie; remove the 'tutti fruiti' background color, and I settled on simply adding the following line of code into the windowstyle.css file:

.cardImageContainer {

background-color: transparent !important;

}

I was satisfied with the result and all that was needed to remove the colouring.

Bear in mind that Luke kindly re-added the windowstyle.css file back after removing it just recently; so for now you can still use it and keep up to date with the latest version of ET.

However he may remove it again in the future if deemed necessary. Hopefully the option to custom edit those colors is a feature by then.

1. is there a way to set up a keymap file.

Not that I know of, but my skillset is very limited compared to many others who post here, so best to ask Luke.

2. is there an easy way to upload/import a a custom theme that you've made?

Not that I know of. (again my knowledge is very limited). I just edited the relevant files in my forked version of ET at github and ran the custom theme as a plugin. Still had to restart the app.

BTW, you can download the various versions of ET from here if you want to run it as a portable version: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-windows/releases

Sorry could not be of more help.

Edited by Mobius