Invalid application - Unable to launch "media browser"

willb_2000

willb_2000

Hi,

As per the title, I get an "Invalid application - Unable to launch media browser" error every time I try to open MBC in WMC. Sometimes this is accompanied by a windows error message saying "media center extensibility host has stopped working".

I have searched for the same issue on this forum, but can't find any fix for this.

I have attached all the logs in the program data folder for MBC, and have created a txt file with the details from the windows event log for the two events that I think relate to this issue.

I hope that's sufficient to advise what I can do to fix?

Many thanks in advance,

Will.

MBClassic-1552015dfd2d6ce0e344b6dbab91faf7cd2e010.log

MBClassic-15520155cc1ffc824b046d9a6c523f18456bf0d.log

MBClassic-Msi.log

Migration-15520150ce9cc712284404f9dd32359eee0762c.log

Windows event log.txt

Windows event log - media center.txt

Please set your system update level to Dev in MBC and then update to .267 and let me know how it goes.  Once updated, set your update level back to where it was.

You have mixed or unknown content media folders?

willb_2000

Hi ebr,

Silly question, but how do I set the update level in MBC if I can't open MBC? Do I need to download and install the latest beta from the website?

All of my media folders are content type "movies" or "TV".

Thanks,

Will.

All of my media folders are content type "movies" or "TV".

Are you absolutely positive of that?  You don't have any odd media folders or sub-folders of random content?  One of your items is returning a null content type. 

I'll upgrade the version to beta so you can install it from the website.

willb_2000

Upgrading to .267 seemed to have fixed it (Or at least it's fixed the problem of getting into MBC), but after using it for approx. 10 minutes*, I got the windows error message saying "media center extensibility host has stopped working".

I'm positive that that's what I set up, and what the server is telling me, but the icon (in the web browser) for that  media folder is a folder instead of a film-strip like the other movies folders. I have tried removing the folder completely and re-adding it, but it seems to always come back the same.

*Update - I've been using MBC for approx 30 mins now, and the windows error has occurred twice so far, forcing a restart of MBC each time.

*Update 2 - I can get the icon to show as a film-strip by adding the same locations under a different name, however, if I change the name back it reverts back to the folder icon. Is there possibly a folder in the appdata that I need to delete to fix this? (I tried deleting the "Path" shown in the browser, but it didn't fix it.)

Edited by willb_2000

I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about with the "folder" in question.  Pictures always speak louder than words ;).

If you are getting a crash, I need to see the Event log error for it in order to know what it is.

willb_2000

Please see attached for picture of what I mean by folder icon - I've set it up exactly the same as the others, but for some reason "New HD Movies" always comes up like this?

It's not crashed on me for a little while - I will wait to see if it does it again and post logs if necessary.

post-21831-0-52032600-1431893149_thumb.jpg