search status, feedback, or loading icon

pir8radio

pir8radio

when you do a search on my emby server it takes 10-15 seconds...   people give up or try typing something else which just takes another 10-15, they usually give up.   Can we get some kind of loading spinner or something while emby is pulling up results? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Deathsquirrel

My searches don't take anything like that long.  Perhaps investigate that?

Searches take about as long as typing the search terms take on my not particularly speedy server.

My searches don't take anything like that long.  Perhaps investigate that?

Searches take about as long as typing the search terms take on my not particularly speedy server.

Look at his signature for the answer to why his searches take longer.

pir8radio

@@Deathsquirrel  yea Emby is searching through 150,000+ media files so it takes a little bit..  OH  @@ebr what if the search only looked through whatever library you were on at the time?   Like if i'm in movies the search will only look through and report back on the movies library?   Probably harder than just adding a spinning icon though..    oh well maybe this is another situation where i fall in the 2%   :(  Its not a huge deal just throwing the request out there....   :D  

Deathsquirrel

Ah missed that.  Well defimitely worth doing IMO, but imagine most users won't benefit the way @@pir8radio would. 

I think it's worth solving.  Are there things we can do on the backend to improve search speed without bumping up administrative overhead?  I'd rather see faster searching than a busy icon.

Cerothen

My library certainly isn't 150,000 items (more like 60,000) but searches take between 5-10 seconds for me also not terrible but I would always be for a loading icon or faster searching

ginjaninja

The time searches take to complete would be mitigated somewhat if the last search results ui was more permanent and could be returned to.

Yes i can use the middle button and spawn more tabs, but i think there is a better solution...

@@pir8radio

its worth noting that i dont think sql lite searches are (that?) multi threaded, so your low core cpu speed maybe as much of a factor as library size....see if 1 of your cores maxes during a search.

in other threads it has been suggested that the database design is a half way house to support rapid development, and there is the potential to improve at some point...so it may get better.

Feedback to the user when something is happening but taking longer than X, is i thought a staple of ui design...

• 6 years later...
pir8radio

I saw a link to this request today..   and i wanted to note here, that emby has really improved on DB/cache performance..   i just did a music search and it took about 6 seconds... compared to my 10-15 in the original post..     Better yes..   some kind of feedback that a search is in progress would still be cool..  

• Like 1