Roku 2 XS and EMBY Client

fgriffin
Go to solution Solved by drakus72,

fgriffin

I have installed the latest version of the EMBY Server on a Windows machine and it seems to be running ok. I then installed the Roku EMBY app on my Roku 2 XS box but I can't get it to connect to my server. I did the PIN thing and it sees my server but it will not connect. I know this because it shows my "Friendly Server Name" in the EMBY app. I can't even get connected trying to do a manual install.  Every time I try I keep getting the "cannot connect" error.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank 

are you sure the server is running? it sounds possibly firewall related. as a test, can you open the web interface from a smartphone, tablet or different computer? see if you're able to access it. thanks.

johnlo317

I have the Roku 2XS.   I didnt have any problem auto connect to my Emby server (linux).   It got connected pretty fast.   Like Luke said, try accessing via Web Client from smartphone, tablet or from a different computer.    I dont use the Emby Connect. 

fgriffin

Luke, how do I access the web interface? I tried to connect to the web interface using another computer on the same network by opening a browser and typing in the address that shows on my dashboard but that was unsuccessful. However, I checked the firewall and port 8096 is open. What would you suggest?

Johnlo317, if you don't use Emby Connect how to you connect to your Ruku? Sorry, I am a newbie. :-)

Thanks,

Frank

Edited by fgriffin

By firewall you mean in your router, correct? That is good, but that only helps for remote access away from home.

Your server machine will also have it's own firewall and this comes into play for local in-network access. You will need to verify there as well. If it's Windows Firewall, we attempt to handle this for you. If windows firewall is disabled and/or you have 3rd party security software, then you will need to handle it in that software.

fgriffin

I only check the Windows Firewall of the machine that the Emby server is running on. I didn't check the network router. I will have to figure out how to check the router's open ports.

Thanks!

fgriffin

I opened the port on my Netgear N600 WNDR3700 router and I still can't access my Emby server's web interface from another computer or my iPhone. I've verified the server is running. Not sure what else to do. Any ideas?

• Solution
drakus72

You don't need to open the ports on the router for internal access, just if you want to access from outside your home network. 

Sounds like a firewall problem on the emby server itself. check windows firewall and whatever anti-virus you have as well.

• Like 1

fgriffin

Thank you so much for reminding me about my anti-virus software, it has its own firewall. As soon as I opened the port there everything started working.

Frank

johnlo317

Glad you got it work now.   To answer your question about me not using Connect.   It does an auto search in my home network, once it see the Emby Server running, it connect in....  I click on my emby username and I'm in.

Edited by johnlo317

drakus72

yw fgriffin.

I think I just got a dead HDTC-2US. 

Back to work on it. if not it goes back to Amazon for a new one.