Cant Delete

zikronix

zikronix

Perhaps im an idiot but I can seem to find a definitive answer on this. Even though I enabled delete in the user screen, there is no option to delete media from the roku app. Am I missing something here?

• Like 1

1971camaroguy

That's the feature I'm really missing lol. Right now I deleted shows by just going to the folder on my server and manually deleted

• 2 months later...

When is this going to get fixed? You can already delete in LiveTV (Im using EmbyTV).

See post #2. There's nothing to fix. It just hasn't been implemented yet.

• 5 months later...
Diedrich

I would also like to add my request for the Emby app on Roku to "offer delete" (if set per user) after watching a show or movie.

The official roku client cannot delete library items yet. It can only delete recorded TV. I made a pull request to add this, but luke may want to do this in his own way.

These two pull requests allow it (among other things..heh):

https://github.com/speechles/Emby.Roku/commit/bfea802170b24b167e51bb61d4b7aeb6d783d735

https://github.com/speechles/Emby.Roku/commit/be4b30fdd4ecb02e31fba68472cef5e3f9612fb2

33a315fab2e6b2373416342b3c6fe766.jpg

If you want delete ability for your entire library, you need to use the blue neon roku app. Then log into the app as an administrative user, and change the preferences for the delete options in the app. Only administrative users can change delete settings. Everyone else those delete options will not allow changing. Now log in as a user that has delete privilege set on the server. You can delete any items you allowed to be deleted.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Diedrich

33a315fab2e6b2373416342b3c6fe766.jpg

It took a few times of reading those settings to understand that they don't mean to delete the library itself but to allow deletion of content in the library. It may be clearer if reworded, in my opinion. Thank you for getting this coded, hopefully it will be implemented very soon! Edited by dvgmar

It took a few times of reading those settings to understand that they don't mean to delete the library itself but to allow deletion of content in the library. It may be clearer if reworded, in my opinion. Thank you for getting this coded, hopefully it will be implemented very soon!

You only get so much text to use in those screens. So it was hard to pick the right wording to use. I wanted the wording to reflect the danger involved when changing this. It does look a bit scarier than it is to enable that option with the words I chose.

Which words would you use there?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Diedrich

Which words would you use there?

Not being critical, just trying to make it clear. I guess the first question is: Why have multiple options to allow delete? Shouldn't that, and isn't it already, handled by Emby Server?

I personally dont use the option. It was also too easy to me to just rely on the server. I wanted the client also to keep it locked down. This makes it easier for multi roku households. It also makes it harder to accidentally use delete. You have to enable it in the app, and the server. Maybe this was being too cautious? Maybe? Probably? Yeah probably. Heh. Once enabled on each roku it works if the "canDelete" from the server comes back true for that item when authed as that user. The roku has remember user as default. So to prevent accidental exposure to the delete button this was my knee jerk reaction. You make good points. ;)

Diedrich

I personally dont use the option. It was also too easy to me to just rely on the server. I wanted the client also to keep it locked down. This makes it easier for multi roku households. It also makes it harder to accidentally use delete. You have to enable it in the app, and the server. Maybe this was being too cautious? Maybe? Probably? Yeah probably. Heh. Once enabled on each roku it works if the "canDelete" from the server comes back true for that item when authed as that user. The roku has remember user as default. So to prevent accidental exposure to the delete button this was my knee jerk reaction. You make good points. ;)

I feel it's an unnecessary redundancy to include the multiple toggles in Roku. I believe Luke and Ebr want to keep settings like this centralized on the server rather than scattered across platforms. With that said, "Allow Delete" shouldn't even be a setting in Roku as it's directly handled by the server and therefore the admin. canDelete should be included in Roku, obviously, but it should be transparent to the user unless they do not have permissions to do so as set in Emby Server.

Edit: Think of how deletion works in Kodi and mimic that. The setting that should be included, therefore, would be "Offer Delete Upon Completion" (90% watched)

Edited by dvgmar

Thats the beauty of forks. What ebr and luke think, are fine. But don't influence things for me. This is why I forked it to begin with :)

It is what it is.

Should we also remove the "force" playmethods? While there, lets remove <insert other feature officially at odds here> too. I am into more power for the user beyond what the server thinks. The server is imo, thinking too much too often for its own good. You sometimes need to "put a leash" on it. This is a beautiful thing to make the server do what you want, rather than the other way around.

Edited by speechles

Diedrich

Back to your original question...

How about:

Allow deleting ALL media

Allow deleting TV episodes

Allow deleting Movies

Allow deleting Music

Librarys is spelled Libraries in case you decide to keep it.

I might just go with your original thought. Default is, you do nothing. A delete button is shown if server allows candelete for that item with that user. In preferences is one safety, "Disable delete". Then when friends come over, and want to choose something to watch, you can first disable delete. This is what it is really useful for. Then the delete button isnt exposed during their browsing. This way seems more intutive, then it works like you want, and like I want with more control. Of course only administrative users could toggle the disable on and off.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Diedrich

I might just go with your original thought. Default is, you do nothing. A delete button is shown if server allows candelete for that item with that user. In preferences is one safety, "Disable delete". Then when friends come over, and want to choose something to watch, you can first disable delete. This is what it is really useful for. Then the delete button isnt exposed during their browsing. This way seems more intutive, then it works like you want, and like I want with more control. Of course only administrative users could toggle the disable on and off.

Good idea about friends coming over and deleting your stuff. I like the disable delete option, sounds good.

@ https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=EmbyBlueNeon

I havent updated the delete methods yet. I will soon. Then it will be work as described a few posts up.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Portly1980

I have created several accounts by accident, mainly because they don't accept the passwords I've entered. I'm needing them all removed to start fresh. New to this as of yesterday. Thank you in advance.

I have created several accounts by accident, mainly because they don't accept the passwords I've entered. I'm needing them all removed to start fresh. New to this as of yesterday. Thank you in advance.

Hi, several accounts where?