Live TV App for Ceton Tuners?

MrGenius1

MrGenius1

With Media Center being dead. Is there a chance for a ceton app? I see the one for HDHomerun, will I need to switch tuners?

MrGenius1

Unless I've missed something I read the descriptions of the plugins and I didn't see one that supports Ceton tuners without media center. Can you help me out with which ones will work? I want to use my cable card. I want to start planning life without WMC

Edited by MrGenius1

scanner50

Unless I've missed something I read the descriptions of the plugins and I didn't see one that supports Ceton tuners without media center. Can you help me out with which ones will work? I want to use my cable card. I want to start planning life without WMC

I'd like to know this as well. Thinking of switching TV handling to Emby and looking at the Cetons for their higher tuner count.

scanner50

Ah, looks like it does, thanks. When they say they support Copy-Freely cablecard tuners like HDHomeRun Prime, what does that mean in relation to encryption? Can a channel both be copy-freely and encrypted? We might be moving to Comcast and my dad likes ESPN and football channels, so want to make sure those'll work.

MrGenius1

NextPVR does do ceton tuners but not protected content. I have Time Warner and pretty much all their stations are protected.

• 1 month later...
marcisikoff

NextPVR support here is dreadful, there's literally zero for how to set it up under Emby, just some fluff material you'd be going in circles looking at.

The root problem is there's a specific URL that has to be fed into the NextPVR settings, and for a Ceton 6 Eth, we need to know the IP (which we should) and a port (which we don't) for the device so the tuners can be scanned.

NextPVR support here is dreadful, there's literally zero for how to set it up under Emby, just some fluff material you'd be going in circles looking at.

The root problem is there's a specific URL that has to be fed into the NextPVR settings, and for a Ceton 6 Eth, we need to know the IP (which we should) and a port (which we don't) for the device so the tuners can be scanned.

The next pvr plugin was developed by a community member who is not around as much as he used to be. that's your root problem. if you would like to help by creating some setup documentation, that would be fantastic.

marcisikoff

The next pvr plugin was developed by a community member who is not around as much as he used to be. that's your root problem. if you would like to help by creating some setup documentation, that would be fantastic.

I'm not a tech guy and so like everyone else I come here for support.   Guess there is not for this because all I can see is:

We have a number of live tv plugins that are compatible with Ceton

doesn't next pvr work with any tuner? 

if you would like to help by creating some setup documentation, that would be fantastic.

That has added very little to this thread; yes, it should work, and no, it doesn't.  Documentation should be done by someone who has gotten it to work and given some screen shots.

Understood, but in the absence of the plugin developer we all have to chip in a little. Please note that all of the live tv plugins except for EmbyTV rely on external software. To find out if that external software supports Ceton should be as simple as checking the website for the software. In this case, it's NextPvr. Unfortunately I don't see anything on their wiki that lists their supported tuners:

http://nextpvr.com/nwiki/

However, from google searching, it appears plenty of users are using Ceton with Next Pvr.

marcisikoff

Understood, but in the absence of the plugin developer we all have to chip in a little. Please note that all of the live tv plugins except for EmbyTV rely on external software. To find out if that external software supports Ceton should be as simple as checking the website for the software. In this case, it's NextPvr. Unfortunately I don't see anything on their wiki that lists their supported tuners:

http://nextpvr.com/nwiki/

However, from google searching, it appears plenty of users are using Ceton with Next Pvr.

Understood, but this isn't helping me anymore than saying Ceton is supported.  I've posted on forums of FreeNAS, emby, NextPVR after doing searches as well to find what you found.

But it's just that for a plug with 2 parameters no one is answering the question I'm asking; they are just chiming in with anectodal "it should work" or "plenty of users are using Ceton with Next PVR".

How does Emby ask me to be a supporter when they operate under a pay for app model and provide no support?

If you look at these forums I think you will see we offer a lot of support. Just look at how quickly Ebr, Scott, 7Illusions and I are to respond to issues and questions and I think that pretty much speaks for itself. Our general track record for documentation writing is also very good, see:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki

The problem here is you are confusing plugin built by community member as being equivalent to core feature developed by the core team. The plugin is a community addition. If there is no documentation, then I am very much in the same boat as you are and I am not necessarily going to have all the answers because I didn't build it, and I am not a NextPvr user. But if you like, we can figure it out together. Please don't take this out on us but instead the person who chose do donate their free time to build the plugin for you in the first place.

Back to the original question - it requires a url to the Next Pvr web service. Surely there must be a way within NextPvr to find out this information. If you or someone can find out how to discover this, then we can look at how we can document it. I personally would ask the question here:

http://forums.nextpvr.com/forumdisplay.php?48-NextPVR-Support&s=eecc46df2cbde790b6163c36783ac16a

There is a NextPvr admin who periodically logs in to our forum here to answer a few questions. You may choose to go to the next pvr forums rather than wait for him to login again.

glynnsmith

Is it technically possible for the encrypted / protected stations (like HBO) to be recorded in any plugin outside media center? Much of my content has been recorded through Media center in the past and I know I will lose that if I upgrade or switch entirely over to Em.by. Just curious if there can or will be any solution that will work since Microsoft has given up on Media Center.

doesn't next pvr work with any tuner? 

I'm the author of NextPVR.

NextPVR works with *most* TV tuners. Unfortunately the Ceton devices are one of the few devices it doesn't support natively. For this style of device, CableCard devices, we natively support the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime devices, and the Hauppauge DCR-2650/3250 devices, and recommend these.

That said, there is a 'Network Recorder' plugin for NextPVR that some people have used to add Ceton support to NextPVR. I've never used it though, so can't really tell you much about it, and can only give you limited help. (so you might be better off with WMC backend if you're using a Ceton device)

Edited by sub3

• 2 weeks later...
marcisikoff

sub3, thanks for the note.

I will stick without Emby for a long time until there is Ceton support.  By long, I mean 2023 when Win 8.1 is no longer supported and some future Win 10+ version will be my upgrade path.  Until then I will stick with Windows Media Center for my TV watching, recording.

Note: Emby is totally removed now from my HTPC and FreeNAS server.  Plex is working fine for pre-existing content eponymous playback.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
SHSPVR

sub3, thanks for the note.

I will stick without Emby for a long time until there is Ceton support.  By long, I mean 2023 when Win 8.1 is no longer supported and some future Win 10+ version will be my upgrade path.  Until then I will stick with Windows Media Center for my TV watching, recording.

Note: Emby is totally removed now from my HTPC and FreeNAS server.  Plex is working fine for pre-existing content eponymous playback.

Sad but seem like Ceton is R.I.P not word from in min months and all ready kill of the forum they had.

Edited by SHSPVR

• 4 weeks later...
chairmanfaust

I've gotten my Ceton InfiniTV working just fine w/ Kodi 15 and NextPVR 3.4.8 using the networkrecorder.dll and xml config. I also needed SageDCT 2.7.4 as my Ceton driver. 

My next project will be trying to get emby working, I'm hoping that my living room htpc w/ tv tuner and media storage will act as a server for other device clients... then i can give back my verizon equipment and save a good chunk of my monthly fee for 'renting' it

• 1 month later...
dejavux2

I'm using ServerWMC, and it recognizes the Ceton Tuners with no problem.

Now, keep in mind that I can't actually watch anything from them, because I'm stuck in the "Copy Once" hell that is Time Warner Cable.

As an update from my previous reply above (a few months back), NextPVR 3.5.7 and above includes native support for the Ceton devices.

• 4 weeks later...
dtrikannad

sub3,

Thats great news! Thanks for the update. Will 3.5.7 also work with the older InfiniTV 4 USB? 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by dtrikannad