Live TV tester needed

Luke

Damstas

If that's the only tuner to support transcode does every other tuner take up to ~30 seconds to watch Live TV on Android TV, etc?

econ

I can check fire tv tomorrow and roku as soon as you are able to make an update. Don't have android tv.  Better for me to test roku first if it's not a huge update.

Also, luke and krusty, can you show me what lines in the logs show that we are stream copying the video? I'm trying top slowly learn to read the logs.

MrWebsmith

is there a tuner that does this h264 and supports cable cards in US? if so, ill pick one up so we can take these improvements to more than just the 1 model here..

We probe the live stream in order to find the most efficient way to play it. That does add another second or two to the process. We could always add an option to not do that but you'd be foregoing these enhancements

Damstas

We probe the live stream in order to find the most efficient way to play it. That does add another second or two to the process. We could always add an option to not do that but you'd be foregoing these enhancements

Aah ok. Thanks for the reply. It's great that Live TV get's attention :) I don't know if there is transcoding going on on the PC or how exactly Kodi and PVR plugins work, but channel changes are pretty fast there with internal tuner, 2-4 seconds.

krustyreturns

@@econ,

For the serverwmc log its pretty simple.  Search the log for 'GetTranscodeProfiles' this is a command sent from emby that asks for all the supported transcode profiles for the channel it is querying.

The only other thing to search is when emby opens the live stream, search for the command 'OpenLiveStream'.  When kodi send this command over it now sends over the transcode profile it wants to use, example:

2015/05/16 18:07:49.941 Received client request: MediaBrowser^@ES-30HP9@0|::1|OpenLiveStream|35226|IncludeStreamInfo|TranscodeProfile:mobile

the last part of the command shows the profile emby requested for the live stream it is opening.  

When swmc gets this command it searches for a free tuner device (you can see this search in the log) if it finds an available tuner it produces a dlna address for it, example:

2015/05/16 18:07:50.071 LiveDlnaStream> DLNA address set: http://192.168.1.14:5004/auto/v11.1?transcode=mobile

the last part of this line is the dlna address that swmc will give to kodi for it to open the stream, note the transcode profile is set.

hope that helps.

Econ - after reviewing Roku I think the changes are already in place for it to direct play. You will just need to make sure the app's bitrate setting is high enough. Please try it, and if it does not direct play then post the server log. Thanks.

econ

It is transcoding. I'll post the logs first thing tomorrow morning. Can try Fire TV tomorrow as well.

Ok, make sure the roku app is on the newly released 2.06. you might even grab the zip install just in case changes need to be made.

when attempting to play a channel in the roku app it crashes and goes to the main roku home screen.

ok, this was just a stupid mistake on my part. new dev build up that will fix that. please try again, thanks.

are you sure? i still see some hls segment requests in there.

Doh - I'm sorry, what was I thinking. the codecs are supported by Roku but the container is mpeg, which is not supported. So it is still streaming through the server but at least it's stream copying the video. So for roku that's as far as we can take that unless Silicon Dust adds another output container option.

econ

Right, it looks to be stream copying the video. Do you think the fire TV will provide a direct stream?

archangelz

is there a tuner that does this h264 and supports cable cards in US? if so, ill pick one up so we can take these improvements to more than just the 1 model here..

I don't think so. The two biggest ones on the market, the Ceton Infinity and the HDHomerun Prime CC do not support transcoding right now. 

There were rumors of a HDHR4-CC awhile ago, but the plans got kyboshed or put on indefinite hold because of a few different reasons. Mostly it was Comcast and a bunch of cable providers moving a lot of their channels to H.264 at the time. May still come out in the future. I would definitely pick one up too if they released this. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
Fratopolis

I too have two TC models and three of them at work. We stream district wide from the TC and cablecard models.

I can help with what you need

I too have two TC models and three of them at work. We stream district wide from the TC and cablecard models.

I can help with what you need

Thanks!