Live TV tester needed

Luke

we have a pretty good shot of getting the android mobile, android tv and fire tv app to direct play. and roku although i might have to push out a small update.

Supposedly even the mobile stream still returns ac3, so that is why it will not direct stream with the browsers

krustyreturns

Emby is  still not setting a tuner transcode profile.  What client should they be using to test this function?

econ

So are you saying that it isn't technically possible at all to direct stream to the browser?

I have about 80% of the supported client devices if you want to move to something else.

well we should at least get the browser to pick the stream it feels is best, but there won't be direct play unless the audio is aac

krustyreturns

So then,  why isn't emby picking a transcode profile?  Is it still deficiencies in the transcode data?

I'm about to put up a build that should do that, although I don't have the right tuner to test it with. So we'll have to rely on econ.

krustyreturns

I looked at the swmc log, and the 'heavy' transcode profile was set, so if the live-tv stream played then I think that was a successful run.

We should set the expectation now, even though I thought it was already clear, you are still going to see transcoding in the browser. the purpose of this exercise is to get the app to choose a profile (the most efficient one). once we've gotten that far, we will be in good shape for android tv, fire tv, roku, etc.

in this case, it chose the heavy stream, which is probably ok. it figured that since it can't direct stream any of them, it just took the first one. we can probably improve this to pick the one that has the closest bitrate. that might give us a chance for h264 stream copy in some browsers, which is at least better than full transcode.

at this point it's ready to be tested with fire tv. i think direct play should work there, and if it doesn't on the first try, it will probably only require a subtle tweak.

krustyreturns

Actually, looking more carefully at the log, it first chose 'heavy', but on a later stream it chose 'mobile'.  Maybe they corresponded to different emby clients?

Edited by krustyreturns

Sorry, I misread it. It chose mobile the whole time. There was only one result choice. The logging is just very verbose because it evaluates them multiple times with different criteria.

but with that mobile stream, you should get h264 stream copy in mobile browsers as well as desktop internet explorer. can you try that and post the log? thanks.

can you increase your IE bitrate setting to at least 8 and try again? thanks.

actually i have another dev build going up. please try again on that, with your bitrate setting bumped up. thanks.

krustyreturns

Only Luke knows for sure, but I think that looks good.  Thanks for all the debugging @@econ.

yea how about that. we got it to stream copy the video :)

at this point my guess is fire tv will now direct play. android tv and roku will require minor updates, which we can do now if you have those devices.