network path in Mac setup

andrewbee

andrewbee

I cannot seem to find a solution on how to go about this. I wanted to find out if there is a way to set network/unc paths for Folders located on my hard drive for Mac/OS X.

I have already gone as far as:

going to System Preferences

Enabling File Sharing

Making sure file share using afp and smb is ticked

Adding the folders to be shared from the USB drive

Setting all permission to read or write (for now)

I cannot seem to point to the network path in the Media location dialog box in Media Library. I have tried:

\\computer name\folder name

\\192.addresss name\folder name

\\computer name\hard drive name\folder name

How do you point to the folder on a mac as from my understanding, you are advised to use network paths to enable direct streaming?

P.S. I can access the folders on my windows machine but I do have to put in my log in.

Edited by andrewbee

grimsage

usually posix paths are with the forward slash

smb://user:password@server/folder/path/blach

afp://user:password@server/folder/path/blach

*nix and bsd follow the posix paths for the file system as well starting with /

on a mac you might have /Volumes/mounted_files/go_here

Edited by grimsage

im85288

On a Mac map them to /Volumes/network drive then use the path substitution feature of the Emby server to point them at a network drive so that it's accessible to all devices

• 1 year later...

I have this issue and it's not resolved yet. Although Emby can see certain folders on the server, i keep getting the error message when i come to add a new folder on the same server. 

I'm using the Emby server on a Mac Mini.

I have this issue and it's not resolved yet. Although Emby can see certain folders on the server, i keep getting the error message when i come to add a new folder on the same server. 

I'm using the Emby server on a Mac Mini.

Hi, can you describe in more detail what you're trying to do? What path are you trying to add? Can you show a screenshot? Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
NeauxGeaux

I'm interested in this as well. I've looked up and down google and the forums trying to find a "setup guide" for configuring the Emby path substation setting on my mac.

Needless to say, I'm a bit lost  :(

NeauxGeaux

With the next server release there wont be path substitution anymore and it will be much easier

I appreciate your reply and updated to the latest 3.0.8000. As this update does make it easier, I'm still at a loss for what sort of value I need to enter.

Would it be:

smb://10.0.1.XX/shared/MYHARDDRIVE/media/TV  ?

Well first, have you shared that folder on your network? If not, then doing that would be the first step.

NeauxGeaux

To access my shared folders on my other mac, I use "smb://10.0.1.XX/shared/MYHARDDRIVE/media/TV" and "smb://10.0.1.XX/shared/MYHARDDRIVE/media/Movies"

I don't often stream things from my other Mac though, I just used it to test to make sure the shared path worked properly. I'm more concerned with getting a shared path working correctly that my chromecast or android app can use so I don't have to transcode anything from my local network.

the smb path will do. chromecast does not support smb though, however it does not necessarily mean you will see transcoding. Many formats can be directly streamed through the http server built into emby.

• Like 1