How Can I Pause/Stop/Fast Forward etc?

mbc0

mbc0

Hi,

I have found this to be MUCH MUCH more robust that the Android App (Same goes for all 6 users that use my server) but when we watch on our tablets if you touch the screen you do not get any option to pause or fast forward etc? I know this is for a TV with remote but is there any way around this as the Android app is so clunky and crashes/hangs all the time on all our devices... this app works perfectly apart from needing a remote

You're right all design and testing has been on TV devices.  I'll have to see if I can make the overlay appear on a tap.

Does all other navigation work okay with touch?

mbc0

Could I possibly ask for a lower bitrate to be added in the future please? 1.4 ish is fine for tablets and phones... Many thanks

Could I possibly ask for a lower bitrate to be added in the future please? 1.4 ish is fine for tablets and phones... Many thanks

I'll add 3, 1.5 and 1.

Okay, I have it producing the overlay when you tap the screen.  However, on my cheap Verizon tablet anyway, the soft key navigation bar is over top of my controls so you cannot click them.  Is this the case on your device as well?

I'm not sure what to do here because I don't want to compromise the design for TVs to accommodate this.  I need some way to know if the device has this navigation bar and then account for it only in those situations.

Magnus33

Okay, I have it producing the overlay when you tap the screen.  However, on my cheap Verizon tablet anyway, the soft key navigation bar is over top of my controls so you cannot click them.  Is this the case on your device as well?

I'm not sure what to do here because I don't want to compromise the design for TVs to accommodate this.  I need some way to know if the device has this navigation bar and then account for it only in those situations.

The controls are certainly there but unlike say youtube or emby android mobile layout it doesn't auto-hide the onscreen android controls.

Once the emby tv is set to auto-hide like the android app mobile mode this wont be a issue.

I'll have to check and see what it is doing because the API call I found to do that was above the level of the API that we are now supporting in this app.

However, there will still be an issue as there will be no way to back out.

Magnus33

If that the case they it may require going back to the drawing board.

Nearly every android device out there is going to encounter this issue and if you can't control your media easily once your in the app it really kills the purpose of the app.

I can understand wanting to stay true to the Google framework but it not perfect or even completely uniform across all devices.

What works on a tv wont necessarily work on a phone or android box.

Not to mention who wants to watch their media and have task-bars going across the bottom and top of it.

Presently free full-screen apps get around this but that kind of kills the ease of use for every day users.

This app is targeted at TV devices.  It isn't meant for use on a phone.  You can probably make it work on a tablet but that's not what it is designed for so it may have shortcomings when you attempt to use it on a non-TV device.  As time and demand allows, we may alter that strategy but that is what it is right now.

We have the mobile app for all those other devices.

• Like 1

mbc0

Thanks for adding the overlay on tap is.is very much appreciated!! Working perfectly on my nexus 7 and galaxy tab 4 thank you

Magnus33

This app is targeted at TV devices.  It isn't meant for use on a phone.  You can probably make it work on a tablet but that's not what it is designed for so it may have shortcomings when you attempt to use it on a non-TV device.  As time and demand allows, we may alter that strategy but that is what it is right now.

We have the mobile app for all those other devices.

Its still exactly the same issue regardless since those tv boxes by and large are running android.

Both tv boxes and phones have the same android taskbars at the top and bottom.

Its still exactly the same issue regardless since those tv boxes by and large are running android.

Both tv boxes and phones have the same android taskbars at the top and bottom.

Really?  I don't have one so I haven't tested it but neither the Fire devices or the Nexus player have task or navigation bars because those are targeted at touch and these aren't touch devices.  If other TV-targeted devices do have them then we'll have to figure something out in those instances.

Thanks for adding the overlay on tap is.is very much appreciated!! Working perfectly on my nexus 7 and galaxy tab 4 thank you

Can you actually reach the buttons to Jump ahead and back?

Magnus33

Really?  I don't have one so I haven't tested it but neither the Fire devices or the Nexus player have task or navigation bars because those are targeted at touch and these aren't touch devices.  If other TV-targeted devices do have them then we'll have to figure something out in those instances.

Yes with the exception of the heavily customized devices nearly all are using the modded stock android version. (nearly all 4.4.2 kitkat except for the older ones which are normally 4.2)

Some like 89H come with both a media layout and the normal stock layout but do to the immature nature of the media layout as of yet and the lack of program compatibility  in many cases  it not widely used.

Even with that layout its merely a overlay over the stock android and the top taskbar shows up much of the time in apps not made to hide it.

Many of the boxes do have a hide the bottom taskbar option which does let you use the controls but this doesn't effect the top taskbar.

Apps like this do let you bypass this issue h**ps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.tsorn.FullScreen&hl=en

Even if you move the controls your still going to have the taskbars  getting in the way of your media viewing.

As for being able to use the buttons its hit and miss  depending on the device and the ui layout which differs a little from device.

Sorry not the news you wanted to hear buts its the truth of the situation.

Edited by Magnus33

Deathsquirrel

Yes with the exception of the heavily customized devices nearly all are using the modded stock android version. (nearly all 4.4.2 kitkat except for the older ones which are normally 4.2)

Some like 89H come with both a media layout and the normal stock layout but do to the immature nature of the media layout as of yet and the lack of program compatibility  in many cases  it not widely used.

Even with that layout its merely a overlay over the stock android and the top taskbar shows up much of the time in apps not made to hide it.

Many of the boxes do have a hide the bottom taskbar option which does let you use the controls but this doesn't effect the top taskbar.

Apps like this do let you bypass this issue h**ps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.tsorn.FullScreen&hl=en

Even if you move the controls your still going to have the taskbars  getting in the way of your media viewing.

As for being able to use the buttons its hit and miss  depending on the device and the ui layout which differs a little from device.

Sorry not the news you wanted to hear buts its the truth of the situation.

So devices not running the required OS and Android TV elements this app is built on/for don't run it well and have some UI issues?

Damn, that's weird.

Seriously though, perhaps the standard android app would be a better fit than this one which isn't designed for those devices.

mbc0

the problem is that the android app hangs, crashes all the time On my Sony Xperia, galaxy note, nexus 7, galaxy tab 4, mxq and mxIII Android TV boxes but this app works perfectly on all of them!! The android app is just too flaky for daily use I am afraid...

Deathsquirrel

the problem is that the android app hangs, crashes all the time On my Sony Xperia, galaxy note, nexus 7, galaxy tab 4, mxq and mxIII Android TV boxes but this app works perfectly on all of them!! The android app is just too flaky for daily use I am afraid...

Fair enough but it would seem the options are to report those issues on the forum for that app, bug the makers of your devices to update to the required OS versions with android tv support, or get a device with the OS support you want.  Not a dev, but those all make more sense to me than trying to backport the android tv app to old versions of android without android tv support.

mbc0

Fair enough but it would seem the options are to report those issues on the forum for that app, bug the makers of your devices to update to the required OS versions with android tv support, or get a device with the OS support you want.  Not a dev, but those all make more sense to me than trying to backport the android tv app to old versions of android without android tv support.

The fact that the only app I have an issue with is the Emby App would not make me contact 5 different manufactures of my devices to update the OS version as I am sure the problem does not lie with them.... The Android app problems are widely reported in the forums... I am sure it will get better but until then I have found that the Android TV Emby app works beautifully on all of the devices from 5 different manufacturers I have, all I asked was for the overlay to come up on screen tap which ebr very kindly resolved for me! I am not here to moan about the android app I was just answering your question as to why I am using this app (as are the rest of my friends and family) over the android app.

Magnus33

Guys there no bug tracking system so we report issues in the forums.

Stop taking them as some kind of personal attack on the software or the guys as no one is doing that.

Your only clouding the issues that are reported with unneeded personal responses.

The app has issues with android taskbars on most android tv boxes which needed reporting so it can be addressed if its going to continued to be developed for that platform.

The guys do great work and we are all grateful for it but being anything less then honest or truthful when reporting issues does them a disservice.

Deathsquirrel

Magnus, this isn't intended as a personal attack.  Sorry if it came across that way.  The boxes that have been listed that have this issue don't appear to be running the OS this app is built for.  The point I was trying to make is the app may not actually have an issue here.  Y'all may be running the wrong app. :)

Magnus33

Those boxes are running android and there little difference in it the other  tv boxes with the exception they are using a custom UI.

Many tv boxes come with similar less developed tv UI but often leave the top android tv bar at the top.

This app been more recently made available  to many more android devices which is great but the vast majority of devices are going to run into this very issue.

If it was restricted to just those two devices then there wouldn't been any problem but that's no longer the case.