Long delay opening TV Collection

DarkKniyt (John)
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

DarkKniyt (John)

OK, Turned on Active Backgrounds to see how it goes.

Restarted EMBY-WMC.

Went into a number of TV Series with and without Active Backrounds.

First few worked just fine.

Then went into another (Defiance), sound for Active Background started but it delayed opening the Series.

Finally opened and the actual Active Background showed and Season 1 has no episodes in it.

Backed out of it and went right back in. Everything working and looks fine?

Same thing happened when I opened the next series with an active background.

Log-File attached.

MBClassic-2652015f67de574a7f14e03ad10d95b3e44019e.log

DarkKniyt (John)

Did a quick test using Subdued and Active Backgrounds.

Same as above.

Did this same test with Subdued without Active Backgrounds.

Still delays opening and some seasons show no episodes.

Back out and immediately go back in and works fine.

Please stick to Chocolate until we know exactly what is going on.  Subdued I already know is causing some things that will create problems.

Now it is timing out on the request for theme media but I now think the fact it is theme media is coincidental.  It appears that after enough requests are sent/received within some certain amount of time, the server stops responding and things start timing out.

I need to know what these items are:

0e22b1c5-f0eb-428d-39eb-aad17b9632a5

e87d94e8-6d42-999e-03fc-d464afaa2761

ad046376-df15-ea3c-e8a1-6d311047508d

Wait a minute - strike that - that last log you posted is with the wrong version of EMC...

Actually neither one of the logs you posted are with the proper version so I don't think you successfully updated or tested with my latest changes.

Just in case there was a problem with the last package, I re-built it and put it up as .271.

DarkKniyt (John)

I didn't update to the Dev version of EMC, just the Server.

Thought that was what you meant.

Anyways, updated to EMC Dev version (already updated to Server Dev Version) and using Chocolate.

Went into 5 or 6 Series with NO problem.

Then went into Haven and got a delay, sound was playing for Active Background (no video), then it finally opened up, all episodes were showing and Active Background video was playing.

Then went into a number of additional Series with no issues.

I went ahead and backed out of EMC and went straight to Haven, selected it and it opened up no problems?

Either way, this is soooo much better!

Log is attached.

MBClassic-2652015b78b008b2c764a2282e0b84c87c21055.log

Edited by DarkKniyt (John)

Yea the changes he made are going to make a dramatic difference. even those who weren't having problems are going to see improved performance.

solidus28

I'm having overall better performance I believe, but I still got several 20-30 second delays entering shows.  The common factor I seem to see now is that they are all shows I probably haven't opened in months.  Anything I open regularly seems to open immediately.  Not sure if that is just some sort of caching process the first time I enter these.  I've attached the log, maybe you can tell.  Either way, definitely an improvement overall.  Thanks for all your work!!!  And nice logo on EMC, hadn't seen it yet :)

MBClassic-26520156db631138fa542ac8b289062955ed158.log

DarkKnyt - I'm not sure what your delay could have been there.  It looks like the time between you entering "Haven" and backing out of it to stop the theme video was only 3 seconds...

2015-05-26 19:34:03.4024,Debug,,Navigating to Haven item type Chocolate.WholeSeriesFolderModel,1,Application
2015-05-26 19:34:06.6044,Debug,,Theme background stopped - unhooking,1,Application

I still think there is a problem here somewhere in the network communications - either on the server or with the client network components.  I have lessened the occurrence of the problem by lessening the network traffic but it is still there.

I'm still seeing time-outs in solidarius' log for what should be very simple requests for children from the server.

Scoobz

Just to join in this thread. I am experiencing the same issues as the other posters, similar setup.

I have 2 machines on the network with MB for WMC installed and a separate server. Data is on a NAS and all is wired network.

Both have the same issue with larger TV series. Doesnt seem to occur on small TV shows.

For example Modern Family has 6 seasons. It eventually opens but is sometimes missing data for some of the seasons. If you come out and go in in tends to complete the data. 

Data is stored as follows

\\NASDRIVE\Mediashare\TV\Modern Family\Seasons 1

\\NASDRIVE\Mediashare\TV\Modern Family\Seasons 2

etc

Can assist with logs if required. I have a feeling it only started with the most recent update which I only updated to this morning. I cannot be 100% on this though.

DarkKniyt (John)

ebr - don't know about the Haven timing in the log.

The first time I went into it there was a delay then I backed out and went right back in and there was no delay.

But since that one hiccup - While using Chocolate I have NOT had anymore delay issues and that is while Active Backgrounds are on!!

Now if everything was smooth while using Subdued!

In all seriousness - I really appreciate the work you put in to clear this up and as quickly as you did.

From your latest posts there seem to be some issues still lingering for Solidus (maybe others).

So if there is anything I can do as far as testing in any way, please let me know!

I do have one question on version levels:

What Update Level should I be on for the Server and EMC?

I'm set to DEV level for both.

On the Server I'm at Version 3.0.5623.33918 and there is an update to Version 3.0.5624.43002 waiting.

EMC is at Version 3.0.271.0.

Thank you again ebr. I know all the Devs have their hands full, so to jump on this and fix things so quickly is really appreciated.

Scoobz

@DarkKniyt

So how did you improve things, was it upgrading to dev releases of client and server?

I use subdued and wouldnt want to move away from it as it looks so clean.

I would not stay on Dev releases if it is working for you now.  I just needed you to do that to help with this problem.  Go back at least to Beta on EMC and either Release or Beta on the server.

Scoobz - please try the new dev release of EMC and see if it helps your issues.

DarkKniyt (John)

Scoobz, yes, i updated to the DEV versions.

I'm also a Subdued fan and hope it gets fixed, but for the mean time Chocolate is the only one that is working without issues for me.

Subdued has improved but I needed to turn of Active Backgrounds. I hate NOT having Active Backgrounds tho, it adds so much to the experience, IMHO!

As was stated earlier, there are still some lingering issues and I'm sure ebr is not done doing his magic!

Thanks for the update ebr.

Edited by DarkKniyt (John)

Scoobz

Thanks for the info all.

I updated to dev version and the same problem with indexing TV series with more than 2 seasons.

I left the server on release though.

Scoobz

Just a FYI.

I downgraded my client to 3.0.262.0 using Acronis Image (I take regular images of my PC's) and the problem seems to have gone away.

Not sure why, I could perhaps upgrade again to the latest release and see what happens.

What do you think?

I updated to dev version and the same problem with indexing TV series with more than 2 seasons.

Indexing?  You mean actually building an index on your TV like by genre or actor or something?  If so, that's not what we're talking about here.

Scoobz

Indexing, as in showing the episodes in the a season list, You click on a series and it will show some season episodes after a lengthy delay. Click back and go back in and they all appear (most of the time).

Not genre or actor, etc.

Scoobz

So for a better test I took my functioning Media Center PC with client 3.0.262 and upgraded it to 3.0.266. As soon as I did this the delays for TV series reappeared. This is all tested with the Subdued theme.

I have attached a few screen shots to better illustrate, as you can see one seasons completes the episode list and one doesn't. If I back out and go back into the same series it will sometimes complete or at least complete the one you want to watch.

I hope this assist further. I would also like to add thanks for all the assist.

post-4704-0-98019600-1432796645_thumb.jpg

post-4704-0-98139600-1432796650_thumb.jpg

You guys have to do your testing with Chocolate.  I can't control what Subdued is doing and I know it is doing some bad things.

genro

Hi Ebr, just to add another data point, I believe this is the same/similar as to what I reported in a thread a month or two ago: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/20614-frequent-crasheshangups-with-latest-264-wmc-client/

Not sure if its helpful now, but I had attached logs. My solution for the time being was to revert to 262 and it didn't exhibit the issues I was having that is being described here.

Hi Ebr, just to add another data point, I believe this is the same/similar as to what I reported in a thread a month or two ago: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/20614-frequent-crasheshangups-with-latest-264-wmc-client/

Not sure if its helpful now, but I had attached logs. My solution for the time being was to revert to 262 and it didn't exhibit the issues I was having that is being described here.

That's a little troubling as the only real addition between 262 and 266 are all the improvements for extenders that were contributed by Paul so I'm not 100% familiar with them.

@@paul777 - can you think of anything in those changes that might have an effect here...?