Long delay opening TV Collection

DarkKniyt (John)
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

No there really isn't but that really wouldn't help much.  There are too many variables involved so we wouldn't really learn anything.

The net problem is the requests to the server are timing out.  I'm not saying this is your problem, but in all other instances where this was happening, it was finally traced to a network or hardware issue.

DarkKniyt (John)

OK. Can you tell me what the following error is referring to?

Error getting response from http:// 192.168.10.10:8096/mediabrowser/Users/e1ede334-6876-4112-bb96-e0fa4fbd89c8/Items/44025bd5-05a9-3728-5a14-eabbb1d6114a?format=Json

Specifically the 44025bd5...........

I've searched for this file(?) on the server and my htpc, no luck finding it.

Is it an entry in a file pointing to another file or what?

So far I have ruled out everything I can think of, corrupted data/xml files, harddrive, cat6 cable, antivirus, firewall.

Only thing I have left is my router and to test this I am going to patch my htpc to my server pc.

The reason I'm asking the above question is that I am only having delay issues in Classic when accessing TV Shows and want to know what exactly is being delayed.

I am having no issues with Movies, Music, Photos, etc..

I also have no issues with Emby-Web or Theater.

Edited by DarkKniyt (John)

DarkKniyt (John)

Well, I think I've run out of options here.

I have tested everything I can think of.

What I have tested do far:

Changed all of my media to conform to the suggested formats.

Rebuilt all of my metadata using Emby (was originally built via Metabrowser).

Rebuilt the Emby Server (more than once).

Moved all of my TV Shows from the original harddrive to a new harddrive.

Switched the new harddrive containing my TV Shows from existing external 4-bay into a different external 4-bay.

Switched out routers.

Restored original router and ran just the server and htpc on it.

Used a patch cable between Server and HTPC directly.

Did all the above and am still having delay issues (Timed Out log errors) on TV Series, not any other media.

If anyone can give me any additional ideas/tests I can do, to try to fix this issue it would be much appreciated.

That number is an ID we use to uniquely identify items.

If you are still getting time out errors I'm lost as well.  Something is taking too long for some reason.

DarkKniyt (John)

No there really isn't but that really wouldn't help much.  There are too many variables involved so we wouldn't really learn anything.

The net problem is the requests to the server are timing out.  I'm not saying this is your problem, but in all other instances where this was happening, it was finally traced to a network or hardware issue.

ebr - can you expand on this?

You say "in all other instances", are there posts with the solution(s)?

Or, can you tell me what specific solutions were found?

Also, if I could install an earlier version of the client/server software (say from Nov/Dec), it may not prove out what is actually wrong, but if I continued to have delays I would feel very confident that it is not some type of software issue and more likely a network/hardware issue.

I'm just not convinced it's one or the other yet as every test I've performed has resulted in no changes.

DarkKniyt (John)

Thanks ebr. I am going at this as a hardware issue, just trying to come up with additional tests I can run without buying new hardware not knowing what the root cause is.

What did your issue turn out to be?

I replaced the hard drive on the HTPC machine.  It doesn't make any sense to me why this would solve the problem but it did.

Another user found that Avast being installed in his systems was slowing everything way down.

Yes ebr, that was me - but I think it was more than slowing down. Had "stopped responding" a lot, but also real crashes. Always happened in series.

I used to clear the image cache (empty the folders with images) because each time MBC crashed or stopped responding, I got some corrupted images (half downloaded).

When it used to happen a lot, I had a lot of those in my server side:

Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Could it be that Avast, some firewalls and other anti-virus are thinking the data sent by Emby server is a threat and are closing the connection?

Unfortunately, lately it started happening again, even though I switched from Avast to MSE.

I need to try with no anti-virus, and no firewall on the server side to see if it's related.

DarkKniyt (John)

I tested with no anti-virus or firewall software running.

I've also moved all my TV Series to a different drive and ran tests on both drives and they check out fine.

I actually have two separate drives for all of my TV Series.

I took one out of the NAS I have and put it into the Server PC.

Hooked up a different router and connected the Server and Client to it (no other pcs attached).

I took one of my client machines and loaded the server software on it.

All the above made no difference.

There has to be a reason this is happening to me and others and at this point I'm convinced it's not a network issue.

And after the tests I did using a different pc, switching hardware, re-installs of client/server including re-installing Win7 on the machines I'm running out of hardware & software I can test.

The only other test I can think to make would be to load a previous version of MB3 & MB3-Classic but that appears to not be available.

So at this point I feel all I can do is either live with it the way it is or move on to something else.

For comparison purposes, can you try installing Emby Theater on the same machine as MBC and see how that performs? Thanks.

Hi Luke, on my side Emby Theater performs pretty well, I don't experience the same delays when opening TV Series. Everything works pretty fast.

And same for the web interface which is lightening fast.

DarkKniyt (John)

Same here. That was one of my earlier tests and I had no delays.

I know Solidus28 posted he did the same tests and had no delays either.

I'm thinking your issue must be related to configuration or specific content - not meaning there is something wrong with either of those on your end - just that your setup must be different enough somehow from most that it exhibits this problem when most others don't.

So, can you detail exactly how your TV library is setup?  Like, do you have sub-folders within your TV structure?  Are you using the "mixed content" setting at all?  Can you post the MBC config file for the user in question?

solidus28

I can confirm in my tests with Emby Theater, I did not experience any of the delays.  Background themes loaded quickly, season lists loaded, episode lists loaded, it worked great from the same PC that normally runs Classic.

ebr, here's how I'm setup.

On my server, I have a 14.5TB RAID 1 array setup as an E: drive in Windows 2012.  Here's an example of the path on my server:

e:\Multimedia\TV\Friends\Season 01\01 - The One Where Monica Gets A Roommate.mkv

E:\Multimedia is setup as a file share named 'Multimedia2'.  I have a separate 24TB file share on the D: drive that took the 'Multimedia' name.  That's all movies.

In Emby Server, the I have a media folder setup called 'TV' with content type set to TV and the only path under media locations is \\server\multimedia2\tv.  I do have "mixed content" for a different media folder, but not with any TV in it.

Where do I find the MBC config file?  I'll grab it and post it up, too.

solidus28

config.xml

Here's the one I pulled for that user off the server from this path:C:\Users\root\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\config\users\htpc

Is that what you need?

solidus28

htpc-MediaBrowserXml.config.txt

And here is the config file from my actual client, located at C:\Users\htpc\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Classic\Configurations

I had to append .txt to the end of it to attach it here, so just remove that (I'm sure you're well aware :) ).

If you go to the web client and bring up a detail page on some TV series and then find the portion of the url that says "id=xxxxxxxxxx" then replace the "xxxxxx" with the following value, what comes up?

8e1c5692e6af273f9f86c5b4b999f75b

solidus28

Fresh Off the boat Season list.  That's the series I was trying to enter when I experienced the delay in the log I posted.

What do you mean by "season list"?

Screen cap?

How many seasons are there?  How many episodes?

solidus28

I may be using the wrong term.  This particular show is new, so just one season consisting of 13 episodes.  2 screen caps attached, just scrolled down and took a second one so you could see the episodes.  When I was in Classic before I posted the log you're reviewing, I clicked TV from the initial MediaBrowser menu (EHS I believe), the scrolled down to Fresh Off the Boat and hit OK.  I could hear the theme playing, but the app didn't advance to the next page where I could select Season 01 for about 30 seconds or so.  

post-4107-0-86705700-1432316105_thumb.png

post-4107-0-47566800-1432316114_thumb.png