Smart Shortcut

richardap1

richardap1

Hi

I am quite new to Kodi, having used WMC and Theater in the past. I originally set up Kodi with the old plugin (all worked fine).  I had the Titan skin setup. Using the up key on the MCE remote would bring a drop down box with recent/progress, submenus worked etc.  

I decided that should move over to the Kodi Beta plugin as i guess most development will be there now, but this is where i am having problems ( i understand this is a beta and things may not work 100%)

I have 4 media libraries in Emby TV / Kids TV / Movies and Kids Movies.   I have set up the smart shortcuts so i have nice fancy boxes on the home screen with pictures in them. And thats it.... I can't get the submenus to work. I have them set up but selecting the box just brings up the smart shortcut rather than the submenu. If i use always appear for the submenus that makes navigation harder. There seems to be no ability to use the up arrow to bring down the menu from the top. 

Secondly Preview Play screen has disappeared, so hitting play on a show or movie plays it straight away rather than going to the info screen.

Any help would be appreciated as i am thinking of going back to the old addon.

Thanks

marcelveldt

Hi @@richardap1

The main difference with the old addon and the new one is that the new addon syncs your media to local Kodi. The result is a much faster/smoother user experience.

That means that all functionality/features are now natively Kodi.

You don't need custom skins, all Kodi addons would be compatible etc.

In Titan skin I created some sort of integration by automatically provding the shortcuts to the mediabrowser entries for you, including artwork and widgets. In the new addon this isn't the case you have to create those shortcuts yourself from the Kodi video library.

To make life a little easier I decided to create the feature called "smart shortcuts" in the skin which picks up images from s specific collection in the background so you will have a tile and background image with fanart from that specific collection.

What those smart shortcuts don't do is also create submenus and/or widgets, I'm still finding a way to get that sorted out.

But there's a simple solution, it only requires some setup work on your side....

As of version 0.1.1 of the Emby addon which is not only much faster and more reliable, we have added so called "video nodes" entry points in Kodi. Those are fast entry points to your collection, the recent/in progress items of the collection etc.

You can use this to setup the Titan homescreen (or any other skin that let's you customize the homescreen shortcuts) to your liking:

1) Create smart shortcuts for your collections, the most easy way is to go to videos --> all the way up untill you reach the screen with all entries in the video library. In that screen you'll notice entries that start with "Emby - ". Press OK on the item. The top entry should be the name of your collection, meaning the "all" selection. Press MENU and select add to favorites.

2) In the skin settings --> advanced --> enable smart shortcuts for favorites

3) Go to skin settings --> configure menu shortcuts  --> press add

4) select smart shortcuts and select the entry you created for your collection(s)

5) While in the list of shortcuts make sure you've selected your shortcut and press "customize submenu"

6) press Add --> video library --> Emby collection entry

7) add in any submenu you'd like to have there, like in progress, nextup etc.

8) If you want a widget: press assign widget --> select video library and again select your preference from the emby items.

9) done, you now have created shortcuts on your screen that have a rotating image as a picture, rotating fanart background and have a widget to your preference.

Note that there's a little bug in skinshortcuts that if you created a new shortcut, you have to leave the configuration screen and enter back in in order to assign the widget. Just noticed that recently while playing with the emby content as widget myself.

Note 2: If you're using 2 rows of tiles there's no easy way to get to the submenu because enter/OK will open up the colection and pressing UP/DOWN will open the widget. In the case you want the submenu to show up when you press OK/enter on a tile do this:

- Go to skin settings --> configure menu shortcuts - select your shortcut

- press "change shortcut" - select custom action

- delete everything that was originally there in the action and type this: submenu

Like I said, I'm still figuring out a way to make this some easier...

Edited by marcelveldt
  • Like 2

marcelveldt

As for your question about the info dialog. This is now Native kodi. If you want the info dialog to show up you configure that in the kodi settings:

- Settings --> Videos --> File lists

- Default select action --> set this to "Show information"

richardap1

Awesome thanks for all that.

I think i have sorted almost all of it out. I have my Short cuts for Kids TV / Kids Movies and Movies.  However I cannot repeat it for TV.  I have browsed and added the Emby - TV node as a favourite, however it doesn't appear as a smart short cut.  Everything else is there, even smart playlists. I have a log file of me adding it to the favourites if that helps

http://1drv.ms/1P0KtvH

Thanks

Rich

marcelveldt

Awesome thanks for all that.

I think i have sorted almost all of it out. I have my Short cuts for Kids TV / Kids Movies and Movies.  However I cannot repeat it for TV.  I have browsed and added the Emby - TV node as a favourite, however it doesn't appear as a smart short cut.  Everything else is there, even smart playlists. I have a log file of me adding it to the favourites if that helps

http://1drv.ms/1P0KtvH

Thanks

Rich

Did you go in the sublevel and select the topentry ?

It won't work if you add the upper level TV entry to the favourites...

richardap1

Hi Marcelveldt

I have tried both 

Videos / Emby - TV

and

Videos / Emby - TV / TV

Both were added to favourites and but neither show up in Smart Shortcuts.

Thanks

Edited by richardap1

marcelveldt

Hi Marcelveldt

I have tried both 

Videos / Emby - TV

and

Videos / Emby - TV / TV

Both were added to favourites and but neither show up in Smart Shortcuts.

Thanks

OK, I'll check it out. Will keep you posted.

marcelveldt

Thats great, thank you

There's a new beta version online for the Titan skin. I'd suggest you to install it because it will auto create the smart shortcuts for the Emby addon, including widgets, tile images, submenus etc.

• Like 1

richardap1

Wow thanks. Thats worked great. A lot easier than before.

There is an issue with the TV and this also happens in Emby Theater. That if you have two different TV libraries the shows are separated in the main view,but combined in the Next Up/ Resume views. The Kodi addon seems to have the same issue.  Below is a screenshot i took last night It shows the in progress for TV (adult only, Top Gear etc) however the libraries are combined. This is still the case today. 

Here is the other thread

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17607-combined-tv-libraries/

Thanks
Rich

554b3fc3d76a6_shows.jpg

Angelblue05

How about in the webclient? Is the same content duplicated under the same views ?

have you tried resetting your Kodi database via the addon settings and actually deleting the files in appdata/Roaming/Kodi/userdata(profile)/databases/ videos90.db and textures13.db?

Your problem is quite odd, I have my views separated similarly, but don't see this happening.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

richardap1

Hi, No the web Client and WMC seem fine. Just Theater and Kodi.  I don't remember it doing it with the old addon, however i moved over very quickly to the new one.  I think it must be something based on how i set it all up. i will try and reset the DB in kodi. If that doesn't work maybe a Emby database reset, although not sure how to do that?

Thanks

Rich

Angelblue05

Depending on your platform

Whichever operating system you are running Kodi on, the file will be located inside the userdata folder > databases > videos90.db,textures13.db. If you have additional profiles you want to reset this way, inside the userdata, there's a profile folder and inside you'll see each profile created. They have the same structure as your Masterprofile(first userdata you encounter). Hope it makes sense :)

http://kodi.wiki/view/Userdata

richardap1

DB reset, Files deleted. Re-scan done.  No joy however.  I think i will have to clean the Emby Server DB.

554b4d361c80c_NextUP.jpg

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Are you sure you are looking at the correct menu? Maybe there's two TV Shows (two menus named the same)? One which is the Kodi default TV Shows (shows every tv show content under one menu) and another being your actual Emby user view TV Shows?

Edited by Angelblue05

richardap1

This has come from a fresh upgrade to 1.0.3 and Titan 3.3.4. I did do a couple of tweaks but only from the new smart shortcuts - Emby section. 

I have uninstalled the server and deleted the roaming folder to try a complete DB refresh on that side.  If it's just me then it could well be a DB issue on the server, as i have a feeling i started out with them combined a year ago and just removed the folders and moved them to a new section.

richardap1

I've uninstalled the Emby server (complete removal), reinstalled, new library, reset kodi and still the same.  I have checked and Emby Theater now seems fine.   It only seems to happen at an episode level. If I go to "Emby - TV / In Progress Shows" the outcome is expected. However if i go to  "Emby - TV / In Progress Episodes"  then there is no distinction between TV and Kids TV.

I have removed the submenus that don't seem to produce the correct results for the time being. Not sure what else to try next. 

Edit

http://i.imgur.com/HoCrAGA.png

http://i.imgur.com/tJUppNo.png

Edited by richardap1

marcelveldt

I will take a look at the issue now. Might be some small mistake in the nodes building I've missed

richardap1

Awesome, this is pretty much sorted with 1.8 Thanks. However i do still see "Next Up" having items from different parent folders, all other views are fine. Strangely it only happens in adults TV -Shows. If you look at the kids they cannot see any of the Adult which i guess is due to the kids not having permissions to view that.

Thanks

• Like 1

marcelveldt

Awesome, this is pretty much sorted with 1.8 Thanks. However i do still see "Next Up" having items from different parent folders, all other views are fine. Strangely it only happens in adults TV -Shows. If you look at the kids they cannot see any of the Adult which i guess is due to the kids not having permissions to view that.

Thanks

Hmm, That's something I can't reproduce. Have just been looking at it and has to be really filtered by the parent folder.

Could you try to re-add that particular shortcut to your home menu ?

Also, take a look at the Emby webinterface if it's fine there

richardap1

I'll look when I get home.. However could it be due to who watched it? For example there are no adults shows for the kids folder as the kids can't actually watch them on their tablets. However we use the main account on the tv and they will watch their shows ( via pseudo tv).

marcelveldt

I'll look when I get home.. However could it be due to who watched it? For example there are no adults shows for the kids folder as the kids can't actually watch them on their tablets. However we use the main account on the tv and they will watch their shows ( via pseudo tv).

If the content isn't assigned to that collection, NO, it shouldn't appear in another collection...

I assume the following:

You have added multiple library folders to Emby: 1 for adults tv shows and one for kids tv shows ?

You have a home shortcut added for both those collections ?

richardap1

Yep, thats right. Two tv folders. One with kids tv the other adults. I have two users, kids and main. Kids can only access kids tv and main can access everything. Kids user is only for android. The main user Is used on the tv (with kodi)

Previous to 1.8, as expected it had the overlap issue. When i updated it was the same, i cleared the Db and still no change, i figured the 1.8 didnt have the fix. However i then installed 15 beta 1 over the top and bang it worked great. So I added the additional submenu for next up, but that one still had the issue. I think I have already tried deleting the shortcut, however I didn't have time tonight, but will re-add it asap.

The web interface is fine. Each section has its own next up. Interestingly the next up i see in kodi is similar the next up on the home page of the web client.

I have a shortcut for both.

Thanks for all your help with this. I wish I had set up kodi before. Takes emby to a new level.