App: Export/Import watched status from Plex

Fmstrat

randomevents

what are your main areas of strength?

Not trying to be obnoxious --> I'm just about 30 years in (first computer in 4th grade and BASIC), so my strengths are across the board, until it shifts and I have to learn some more. Like for instance, I tend to avoid sqlite because it doesn't play nice with my networkcentric file system (LOCKLOCKLOCKFUCK). So I was surprised once I found out that your weird looking guids were binary. Which means I can't just do a couple of quick queries in a sqlite browser, but need actually code a middle man to do my Plex to Emby transfer.

A long time ago we used a sqlite helper library and that's how it stores the guids. So we've just been more or less stuck with it unless we want to do some kind of migration process. If we were just starting out now then certainly i would put them in there as plain text.

Sludge Vohaul

Hi,

I am actually working on such a "Plex exporter - Emby Importer" tool.

It's meant for movie libraries. Currently it connects to both servers Plex and Emby, fetches the metadata of a Plex library matching the provided name, and for movies found in the corresponding Emby library the tool creates missing collections and puts the movies inside them, and updates the Primary and Backdrop images to match the Poster- and Background-images in Plex.

As it is a one shot tool there is no fancy GUI, only CLI output (but coloured and multithreaded ;) )

The next step will be the import of the movie metadata like (watched, last seen, title, title sort,...), which (I hope) is now more or less routine work only.

The sources are here.

So far it's WIN only, but the plan is to try to convert it to .NET Core in the (near) future.

Sludge Vohaul

@@marcelhehle

well, beside Plex Poster- and Background-images and Plex collections, currently a movies Title, Original Title (which probably should not be done) and  Sort Title are imported.

Basically anything that is editable in a movies "Edit info" would import fine, if the according Plex data handled yet...

marcelhehle

What about cast and director? What I am looking for it something like this:

Both my Plex and Emby servers are running on the same computer and are accessing the same underlying media files. In both the media is discovered. It's just that Emby won't give me metadata for my adult content (Library ID 9 in my Plex installation).

For that content I'd like to copy Posters, Background-Images, Cast&Crew, Title, Year, Tagline and Summary from Plex into Emby. This would overwrite attributes of Movies that are already present in Emby and would create new entries for Cast&Crew.

Sludge Vohaul

@@marcelhehle

Posts #32,33 are both off-topic in this thread - we shouldn't pollute it with discussion about some tool. I've started a new thread dealing with this tool here.