App: Export/Import watched status from Plex

Fmstrat

Fmstrat

Hi all,

I've got a fairly intricate knowledge of the DB structure for Plex, and I'd like to write a utility for those migrating from Plex to Emby for exporting the watched status for TV and Movies for a specified user. I.E. something that can run like this:

Plex2Emby.sh <plex.db> <plexuser> <emby.db> <embyuser>

Or, at a minimum, a series of sqlite queries that can be migrated manually.

The Question

Given the above, is there anyone with experience in the Emby database structure that could help guide me so I don't have to figure it all out in detail? Specifically I'm looking for:

• Where the trigger for "watched" status is stored (is it based on play count, a separate flag)?
  • Does Emby store anything I can use a match reference, such as an ID from the metadata provider that is also used in Plex?

Thanks.

Don't mess with the database directly - at least not for us.  We have defined interfaces that will allow you to get or set all user data (where watched status is stored) for a given user.

So, you would want to write plug-in for us that read the Plex db and allowed someone to direct the information to an Emby user.

Fmstrat

Even better. Is there a sample piece of code anywhere that accomplishes both a query based on some shared piece of data such as a meta-data id from a provider, and subsequently marking as watched/unwatched? Thanks.

CBers

Does Plex have a Trakt plugin to update watched status?

If do sync Plex to Trakt, then switch to Emby and sync Trakt status to Emby.

Or is that not possible.

• 2 weeks later...
Scot

How about partially watched shows? Does the Plex Trakt and indeed the Emby Add-On work for partially watched content?

-SM

If you take my route, you will get resume points, likes, favorites, etc.  At least from us.  I'm not sure how much of all that Plex has.

Scot

Hi Vidman,

Correct, back and forth....I really like Kodi with the Emby plug-in but find Plex's iPad/iPhone iOS apps better.....since I use resume a lot if it is possible to sync resume status back and forth it would be fantastic...

-SM

PS EBR, what's 'your way' sorry? I have Trakt for Plex and for Emby, both are working however resume points are not getting sync'ed....just watched/unwatched status

Edited by Scot

This was originally a development question about building an integration between the two.  We have the necessary end points to do that - if a plug-in were developed.

However, your end game may be solved by our new iOS app which should be out soon.  Then you won't need the sync :).

Scot

Hi ebr

I believe with a really good iOS app I do agree my reason for sync would disappear....I just assumed that the iOS app wasn't high on the priority list therefore virtually gave up waiting...don't get my excited ;-)

If it's any consolation I became a supporter in the hope that my little contribution would help speed development along.

I know you may not be able to give me an ETA however is the release of iOS apps days, weeks or many months away?

-SM

• 7 months later...
futrader8

Thought I would revive this thread, but has anyone found a way to sync resume points between Plex and Emby?  Trakt works fine for watched status.

• 1 year later...

I guess not being a 2 year old  thread but with a lot of people coming from Plex to Emby due to recent privacy changes within Plex it would be great to be able to do this! 

I know some people have posted scripts or ways to do it before I just don't quite have those links handy.

Thanks Luke, I have been searching to no avail so if you ever find them please let me know..

Cheers

randomevents

After looking at Emby's multiple sqlite DBs, I'm just going to write a quick program that pulls all the data from the Plex DBs, matches it the correct entry for Emby, sets the tick if need be and dumps it in the Emby DB.

randomevents

Yes mbc0 I am. I guess I got my lifetime pass's worth (almost 3 years). I've been doing a feasibility study on a switch since yesterday. Except for the fact that every UI looks like it's designed for a person that has cataracts and a phone with BIG buttons, there's a lot of good in here. When I port over PlexSentry, I'll have to take some features out as they're not needed.

• Like 1

Yes mbc0 I am. I guess I got my lifetime pass's worth (almost 3 years). I've been doing a feasibility study on a switch since yesterday. Except for the fact that every UI looks like it's designed for a person that has cataracts and a phone with BIG buttons, there's a lot of good in here. When I port over PlexSentry, I'll have to take some features out as they're not needed.

You mean to say you think things are too big?

It has been a good few years since I was last here (I was an original Mediabrowser user) and things have definitely improved massively! (no pun intended) I know what you mean about everything being big but I much prefer the server management UI and the handling of libraries.  Also it's nice to actually get a response from Admin (Luke especially) I have unanswered questions (lot's of them!) going back years with Plex! Looking forward to your watched status porting tool mate

randomevents

You mean to say you think things are too big?

Yes, big and a lot of dead space. Which is funny, because of how well everything is sized and laid out in the Server Management portion of the web app. For the theater apps, I understand, it's more or less the common thing now. But the mobile (iphone 7, Nexus 6p, Ipad Mini 4, and Large ipad something test) and web apps seem like they were sized for a phone and then scaled up from there. I think that's what people are griping about when they talk down about the web app UI. That being said, I know it's a pain in the arse doing UI's from scratch as a full stack developer myself. I actually need to make a choice like two days ago on wheter or not to finally split the phone size ui from the tablet desktop UI on a project I'm working on.

randomevents

It has been a good few years since I was last here (I was an original Mediabrowser user) and things have definitely improved massively! (no pun intended) I know what you mean about everything being big but I much prefer the server management UI and the handling of libraries.  Also it's nice to actually get a response from Admin (Luke especially) I have unanswered questions (lot's of them!) going back years with Plex! Looking forward to your watched status porting tool mate

I'll make sure and write it with a new sqlite db as a middle man (instead of my usual sql server) so others can use it. You're right the management UI is right on, there's a couple ideas in there, I'll be "borrowing" for my own projects.

Edited by randomevents
  • Like 1