Changing genre of entire directory of music

leokays

leokays

Hello,

I was wondering if there was any way to force a single genre on all my music by directory. My music collection is organized into folders by genre and the genres that have been pulled from the internet for my music are really weird (my personal favorite being "Acoustic Memphis Blues Blues Blues Music Pop Prewar Country Blues" which is not a useful tag). What I want to be able to do is change the metadata in Media Browser Server of an entire directory of music to one single genre and remove all other genres. Not just for aesthetics and organization but so I can shuffle a folder of music. I tried creating a playlist from a large directory of music and it fucked everything up so bad I actually had to re-install the server from scratch.

Is this possible?

Edit: Or if I change the genre metadata field using a different program, how do I get Media Browser to recognize it and not download the metadata from the internet?

Edited by leokays

Deathsquirrel

Get the genre cleaner plugin.  It will only take a few minutes to map all those ridiculous music genres to something you consider acceptable.

leokays

Is there a way to do it that is not manual? I have over 200 genres that Media Browser has decided to hand me, that's a slightly unreasonable task to do one-by-one.

Thanks for the help!

Deathsquirrel

The data is not from Emby.  It's either from Musicbrainz or your media files.  You're going to have to clean up the data somewhere.  The plugin will allow you to remap things pretty easily and is your best bet for quickly processing the genres.  Alternatively you can look at something like MP3tag to ensure you have your desired genres in the ID3 tag data to begin with.

ginjaninja

If your genres are incorrect then perhaps your other tags are also fubar. Picard is a good pre cleaner of tags..it will match them to music brainz..after picard mp3tag can fine tune amend tags to your preference.backup first.

leokays

I'm a little confused about how to get Emby to use the ID3 tag information but also fill in missing information by downloading the metadata automatically. I've changed the genre of an entire folder in the ID3 tags but the genre isn't changed in Emby.

thefirstofthe300

I'm a little confused about how to get Emby to use the ID3 tag information but also fill in missing information by downloading the metadata automatically. I've changed the genre of an entire folder in the ID3 tags but the genre isn't changed in Emby.

When music is added to Emby, it is my understanding that Emby reads the tags and writes them to an NFO file. If any metadata is missing, it will hit up MusicBrainz for the extra metadata and add it to the NFO file. Emby will then simply read the existing NFO file to populate the database with the info. If you redo the tags, it probably won't show up until you trigger a refresh which forces Emby to do the above all over again on the item you refreshed.