Is there a guide to xbox one?

jamvids

jamvids

As above, I have added the profile and given it a user name. Nothing finding anything. How do you set it up?

Added what profile? For Dlna with Xbox Media Player there really isn't much of a guide required.

Well, how to find the Xbox media player and then how to navigate to the Emby server is probably required for people who are just getting started.

jamvids

I have added the profile, but the xbox media player doesn't find emby, and there is no play to function in my clients.

I do think some very basic instructions somewhere would be good because, as a total XB1 novice, I cranked mine up and asked it to take to the "Media Player".  It took me to the store where I needed to install an app.

I installed that app and it basically was a service like Amazon or Netflix where I could purchase and watch movies and TV shows.  So I asked the xbox for "DLNA" and it took me to a web search explaining what DLNA was.

Short version is, if you don't know exactly what you're doing, you're never going to find Emby on your XB1.

jamvids

I have added the profile, but the xbox media player doesn't find emby, and there is no play to function in my clients.

It finds my media players okay. Just not emby. I use emby on my phone via dlna quite often with 2 different apps. Is it not as simple as that? 

Edited by jamvids

audiounit

I have read a lot on here about people changing the DLNA xbox one profile for various reasons, better quality etc. I think it would be good to have a instructional pinned post on optimal DLNA settings setup instructions for xbox one, to maximum quality over gigabyte ethernet. I thought the profile was optimized by default but after reading some threads I was left confused.

You don't actually have to touch the profile at all. Yes I think a guide is a good idea and I will try to work on it soon. But until then, you just install the app from the store and everything should just work.

jamvids

Dammit, my rotten luck. I only bought the thing for emby and hey presto doesn't work for me. I have a bravia one (once again limited to what it plays) and an audio one for my walkman app though i'm not sure that actually does anything so I will remove them and see if the xbox one will then work,

Nope, could it be my network setup, I am using 2 routers, 1 as an access point to the other with dhcp switched off on the slave so it is essentially just a switch. The xbox is wired into this (slave) and the PC running emby is plugged into the other router. Both are giganet. Upnp is switched on, on both. could this clash?

PS Luke, I didn't want to open a can of worms and assumed it would just work too. Sorry about that.

Edited by jamvids

Deathsquirrel

All I've ever had to do is

• install the media player app on the xbox one
  • edit the DLNA profile for the xbox one in Emby to match my xbox one's name
  • enable the Blast Alive Messages function on the DLNA config server tab
  • Set a default user on the DSLN config server tab
Edited by Deathsquirrel
  • Like 2

chef

Enabling blast alive messages is the key here!!

Just in case there is still issues.

• Like 2

MrWebsmith

also a "key" from my perspective is to make sure you give the xbox a default user... before i did this i only saw "live tv"... no movies/tv/channels libraries..  i set my preferred user in the server dnla settings and PRESTO... full functionality on my xb1

Deathsquirrel

also a "key" from my perspective is to make sure you give the xbox a default user... before i did this i only saw "live tv"... no movies/tv/channels libraries..  i set my preferred user in the server dnla settings and PRESTO... full functionality on my xb1

Cool, added that to the list I'd written.

• Like 1

jamvids

42f809d9bf19e5062abf447f43f1d56c.jpg

So I put my xbox onto wifi instead, and it still doesn't find emby, but I opened my android app and saw this. It must be my network. Does anyone else run 2 x wifi routers?

MrWebsmith

are both the mobile device and the xb1 on the same subnet or no?

jamvids

Yeah, everything on the network is on the same subnet, I followed a guide which said don't use the wan port on the slave (router) and switch off dhcp on it too. It works really well for everything else. I did notice on the main router (the supplied one) that if I look at the connected devices list there is nothing in the "device name" field, just an IP address. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Edited by jamvids

switch of dhcp? who wrote that guide? sounds like it came from one of them hackers

• Like 1

jamvids

it said the same on a few, it is so only the main router gives out IP addresses to prevent conflicts, the slave is just a relay unit then. Should I maybe re enable it and give each router a range of addresses it can use? 

ok, nevermind. you have multiple routers so in your case that's fine

jamvids

It doesn't matter that much now, I can use is as a casting device with 5.1(and a bit of GTA) until an xbox app appears. The living room PC can be retired or used for something else. Cheers and keep up with the good work with the Android stuff (the one with  the most potential).

chef

It doesn't matter that much now, I can use is as a casting device with 5.1(and a bit of GTA) until an xbox app appears. The living room PC can be retired or used for something else. Cheers and keep up with the good work with the Android stuff (the one with the most potential).

I loooove GTA! I play it everyday after the kids go to bed... ;)

Audio Lomb

DLNA streaming to XBOX one is broken. This issue should be dealt with a slightly higher priority than what it has been so far.

... If you know what I mean.

:(  :(  :(

Edited by Audio Lomb

it is fixed and working extremely well. try resetting xbox one settings to default.

Raff

New guy, but FWIW, I'm on Version 3.0.5597.1 and streaming was working great. In fact, while a guide would be nice, I didn't have to do anything to my server to get it working. Other than downloading the Media and Video apps from the store, there wasn't anything I needed to do to my XB1 either. Here is what I have used and what I think about each option:

1. Using the Web client to play media

I have the web client address pinned and can quickly pop open and play stuff. Video isn't very good, but music streaming is fine. I use this for my music and a few videos that I may have "tweaked" my Handbreak settings on and don't work with the next solution.

2. Web client Play-to

This is my prefered method. The address is pinned, and generally sitting on the last page I was on when I flip back to it. I need to tweak the CSS, but I really like that interface and the Play-to has yet to not include my XB1 as an option. Kinect voice commands work great. No issues, and since this is very likely the same approach I'll take with my home automation project (client using play-to) it is a great way to make sure there aren't any issues. The only minor annoyance is that when you end a video, it goes to the Video homepage.

3. Using Media Player directly

I tried it, mostly to see how it recognized my Emby instance. It worked fine, except some folders didn't have images while others did. I am putting together a list of detailed questions I have about metadata, so saving that one for later. I can see using it if I know exactly what I want and where it is, but otherwise I like browsing the proper interface in the web client.

Any other option I am missing? Anyone snap IE11 and try the Emby webclient?

• Like 1