Unable to find server

Guest Sabiel
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Guest Sabiel

When ever I start MB Classic it is unable to connect to the server.  The problem first occured about a month or so ago.  In the past when this has happened, usually after an update to the sever application, I've simply used the system tab in the configurator to validate and save a connection.  However, that tab no longer seems to exist.  I uninstalled both MB Classic and the server.  Today, I re-installed both, but it is still the same.

MBClassic-3520155309422473e04625aee19875b17f153f.log

The server connection is now inside MBC itself.  Advanced tab of the config pages.

Guest Sabiel

I can't get anywhere within MB Classic to confugure it though.  If I start MB Classic I'm presented with a screen providing me with a pin to connect to someone else's server, and I cant go beyond that.

That means it cannot find your server even through automatic detection.

1) be sure it is running

2) be sure your firewall is allowing both TCP and UDP traffic to it

Guest Sabiel

The server is definitely running.  I'd prefer the server running on my NAS if it was at all possible, but that's something else.  For now both MB Classic, and the server run on the same pc so the firewall isn't relevant?  Just in case though I disabled the firewall, and tried to start MB Classic with still the same result.

Is this the machine's IP address and port?

192.168.1.9:8096

That is what it is looking for.  If that is not correct it may be that the server is reporting the wrong IP as its local address.  This can happen if you have multiple NICs or something like a BT adapter.

If that is the case, I suggest you find the common config file (%appdata%) and set the find server automatically to false and set the server address to localhost.

Guest Sabiel

It seems that the correct address should be 192.168.1.7:8096.  That address will take me to the web client for the server.

I've found the MBCommonXml file, and the beginning of it is currently as follows:

<FindServerAutomatically>True</FindServerAutomatically>
  <ShowServerSelection>False</ShowServerSelection>
  <ServerAddress>
  </ServerAddress>
  <ServerPort>8096</ServerPort>
  <LastServerMacAddress>
  </LastServerMacAddress>
  <LogonAutomatically>False</LogonAutomatically>
  <SavePassword>True</SavePassword>

The find server automatically to false is just in the first line.  With the server address, I just put localhost after <ServerAddress> on the third line?

• Solution

Make it look like this:

<FindServerAutomatically>False</FindServerAutomatically>
<ShowServerSelection>False</ShowServerSelection>
<ServerAddress>localhost</ServerAddress>

• 2 weeks later...
raymondjpg

In my case, somehow MB Classic became configured to look for a server on the first DHCP address set by my router rather than on my host PC with a different (fixed) IP address. Classic was very slow to start, but eventually I could get into the config dialogue and un-select the incorrect (DHCP) IP address under the Advanced tab. Classic then took a lot less time to find the server. So far so good.

I then edited the MBCommonXml file to read

<FindServerAutomatically>False</FindServerAutomatically>
  <ShowServerSelection>True</ShowServerSelection>
  <ServerAddress>My Host PC Fixed IP address</ServerAddress>
  <ServerPort>8096</ServerPort>

which did not work for me. Somewhere I ended up with the Pin dialogue, and looking again at the MBCommonXml file I found that the server address had changed back to the first DHCP address set by my router.

So undid the edit of the MBCommonXml file, went back into the MB Classic configuration and found that last known server was still set at the first DHCP address set by my router.

I can use MB Classic fine if I configure it to find the server automatically, but how can I change the config to specify only look for the server on my host (fixed IP) PC?

Edited by raymondjpg

You should be able to do that without editing the file manually.  Just connect to that server and the use the config page to tell it to always connect to that one.

raymondjpg

You should be able to do that without editing the file manually. Just connect to that server and the use the config page to tell it to always connect to that one.

I will do that. I just found that my host PC had become configured for DHCP rather than a fixed IP address.

My bad.

Edit: Your advice was good. The correct IP address is now showing in the configuration as last connected to, and when selected also shows as correct in the MBCommonXml file

Edited by raymondjpg