MPC-HC Not Playing on Top of MBC

Steverido

Steverido

I wonder if anyone can assist! I have 2 PC's with same setup: Windows Media Center with Emby Server & Mediabrowser Classic. I have installed MPC-HC on both with exactly the same settings which I have checked thoroughly about 7 times now before wasting anyone's time here. 

The issue is that when I start Media Center and go to play a file, MPC-HC is playing behind Mediabrowser Classic. I can exit Mediabrowser Classic and MPC-HC will still be playing but I lose functionality of forward or backwards. I would have to exit this too. 

I have attached screenshots of the PC which is the issue and showing my configuration for Mediabrowser Classic and the other is showing it working correctly. Same settings remember though.

I have uninstalled Mediabrowser Classic and even went to the folder where the settings are held in User Roaming etc and deleted. Did the same in ProgrammeData but the settings came back after I installed it again.

Am I missing something here?

post-519-0-18171900-1430589980_thumb.jpg

post-519-0-62354900-1430589987_thumb.jpg

Steverido

I wonder if anyone can assist! I have 2 PC's with same setup: Windows Media Center with Emby Server & Mediabrowser Classic. I have installed MPC-HC on both with exactly the same settings which I have checked thoroughly about 7 times now before wasting anyone's time here. 

The issue is that when I start Media Center and go to play a file, MPC-HC is playing behind Mediabrowser Classic. I can exit Mediabrowser Classic and MPC-HC will still be playing but I lose functionality of forward or backwards. I would have to exit this too. 

I have attached screenshots of the PC which is the issue and showing my configuration for Mediabrowser Classic and the other is showing it working correctly. Same settings remember though.

I have uninstalled Mediabrowser Classic and even went to the folder where the settings are held in User Roaming etc and deleted. Did the same in ProgrammeData but the settings came back after I installed it again.

Am I missing something here?

I have resolved it now. I uninstalled Mediabrowser Classic and rebooted, deleted all folders fro Programmes and User AppData Roaming and reinstalled and reconfigured.  :D  :D  :D  :D

• Like 1

Steverido

Hey Guys,

so I have tried to play something again today and it has reverted back to MPC-HC being behind Mediabrowser Classic. The only way that I seem able to resolve it is by going into DataPrograms and Roaming and delete all of the files. I then have to Configure the Classic again naturally.

So I did this and it worked again but once I tried testing it after it was not working correctly. IE: MPC-HC behind Classic.

If I go into Classic configuration it is still checked to minimize Classic.

I have added all logs. The last time I attempted to test was at 12:53 today 03/05/2015.

Do you think there is some kind of permissions issue where it is not able to write or save data? I am not a coder so I am stabbing in the dark really.  :)

Configurator-352015345891cb164246a8acd38d161d1e4d34.log

MBClassic-352015cbb35866524c494ebbf7c0f7580797af.log

MBClassic-352015d69cbf36d54d498b938049c402378c90.log

MBClassic-352015d86bb6ae8ed844caabd6c82bbcc398ac.log

MBClassic-352015ef29c7ffda0045c7adc98b05131a2087.log

MBClassic-352015944c0d946a0f4a6ab524d03ae0e81a3a.log

MBClassic-3520152206edcbe5224c409bf02c6d4c25e617.log

MBClassic-3520150330062f655947f494c1ea8f68c45aa1.log

Edited by Steverido

I don't see any errors in our processes.  We are calling MPC-HC correctly and then minimizing WMC.  Perhaps it is taking MPC-HC too long to start up so the desktop gets focus instead of it.

• Like 1

Steverido

I don't see any errors in our processes.  We are calling MPC-HC correctly and then minimizing WMC.  Perhaps it is taking MPC-HC too long to start up so the desktop gets focus instead of it.

Thanks for your response ebr. If I leave it playing it still does not come to the forefront. I can keep it running by exiting Mediabrowser Classic and it leaves MPC-HC but it means I am not able to use Classic correctly.

Are you suggesting it is a bug with MPC-HC? My computer is fast enough to do the job and this has only begun since I did a fresh install of Windows 8.1. This pC is used only as a Media PC. There are virtually no programmes on it.

I'm not sure what it is as I don't see anything wrong in the logs and, if this were a widespread problem, we'd be hearing about it from a lot of people.  I myself use MPC as an external just for one file type and it is still working fine.

So, it has to be something environmental, but I'm not sure what.  Are there any AV programs running that might be interfering with us as we launch the external program?

Steverido

I'm not sure what it is as I don't see anything wrong in the logs and, if this were a widespread problem, we'd be hearing about it from a lot of people.  I myself use MPC as an external just for one file type and it is still working fine.

So, it has to be something environmental, but I'm not sure what.  Are there any AV programs running that might be interfering with us as we launch the external program?

I don't use AV Programs because I am careful what I download or open up.

Interesting that I have deleted the MPC-HC and downloaded VLC. I configured the settings to do all of the same, fullscreen, minimise WMC and exit and it does exactly the same.

I am going to install windows 8.1 again and install my media programmes to see what happens.

I can't think of anything else as I have stated before, the setup is the same as my main PC and that works fine.  :)

Edited by Steverido

Steverido

I have installed Windows 8.1 and setup all of the Media applications and tested opening and closing TV within Mediabrowser Classic a half dozen times and it seems okay so far.

I will report back in a few days to let you know if there are any changes 

• 2 weeks later...
Steverido

You will be pleased to know my setup is still working good. Very pleased.

Not sure what happened before but hey, History now.

Thanks for all the help with this.  :D

• 1 year later...
Steverido

Ebr, I think that I have found what the issue is. I have the media on a NAS drive which spins at 7200 RPM but the OS is on a drive that spins at 5400 RPM. Do you think that this could be it? I am replacing the slower drive with an SSD.

• 2 weeks later...
Steverido

Also consider trying Emby Theater:

https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

It's a new app designed to be a replacement for Windows Media Center. Enjoy :)

Luke,

Am I correct in that you can't setup legacy folders as in Emby for WMC?

I have added new SSD and it did not work at first and then it was okay for a few days and again it is not coming to the front again. Crazy. Length of HDMI lead should not affect it either should it? I have a 15 mtr lead which is DVI to HDMI.

In Emby Theater you get a presentation that is consistent with the built-in web app. If you would like to be able to customize that in a different way, then the best thing to do is let us know. thanks.

Steverido

In Emby Theater you get a presentation that is consistent with the built-in web app. If you would like to be able to customize that in a different way, then the best thing to do is let us know. thanks.

Luke, I have just posted in Emby Theater with some requests.

What I would like is the chocolate theme with legacy folders in Emby Theater. And be able to use coverart.I would be very happy with that. Is it possible?

My stepson can code. He is very interested in helping out to create this if it is possible.

I have sent him links to the source code and your links to making themes.

Does he need to know anything else?

Thanks

Edited by Steverido

Steverido

You can already use Cover Art with Emby Theater, and yes, you can create skins with it as well. To learn how to do that see here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-302-learn-how-to-create-skins-for-emby-theater/

Thanks !

So would it be possible to recreate the chocolate theme? What about legacy folders? Probably not as important because Emby Theater is picking up the folders on the server.

Steverido

Performance shouldn't affect whether it works or not but let us know how it goes. Thanks.

Luke, the SSD did not resolve the issue I am afraid. 

Steverido

You can already use Cover Art with Emby Theater, and yes, you can create skins with it as well. To learn how to do that see here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-302-learn-how-to-create-skins-for-emby-theater/

Thanks !

Luke, how do you install Coverart to Theater? I have gone into the server settings to plugins and then Coverart, copied the URL and into plugins in Theater but it seems to be stuck with a revolving circle. Did I install incorrectly? URL appears to be the only install method currently.

Hi, no you don't need to do that. Cover art is a server plugin. If it's installed into the server that's all you need to do.

Does that help?

Steverido

I have gone back to Windows 8.1 and still getting MPC-HC staying behind Emby.

What else do you think it could be Gents.? Does Emby and MPC-HC run on the main processor or main processor and graphics card? Wondering if it is a hardware issue now.

I am wondering if it is time to upgrade the PC. Strange how this has started happening though.