MBS - Add music visualizations (Milkdrop) by encoding as video

cracksloth

cracksloth

I love music visualizations.  I was thinking that a unique way to integrate visualizations in Emby would be to encode the audio with the video output of a visualizer like Milkdrop or ProjectM.  The mux can then be streamed to clients as video (if the client has enabled music visualizations).  Wouldn't that be cool?  Sure, you sacrifice a little quality in the transcode but it would still be acceptable and by offloading the visualization to the server, even underpowered clients could potentially support visualizations that would be impossible given their hardware.

• Like 16

chef

I love music visualizations. I was thinking that a unique way to integrate visualizations in Emby would be to encode the audio with the video output of a visualizer like Milkdrop or ProjectM. The mux can then be streamed to clients as video (if the client has enabled music visualizations). Wouldn't that be cool? Sure, you sacrifice a little quality in the transcode but it would still be acceptable and by offloading the visualization to the server, even underpowered clients could potentially support visualizations that would be impossible given their hardware.

Cool

• 4 years later...

+1 on this topic.  Another brand of visualizations are the Soundspectrum family like G-Force, Softskies, Aeon and Whitecap.  These would all be appreciated as integral plug-ins or native support to Emby music play.  Another suggestion would be MyMemories software.  It allows you to use your photo library/folder structure as a slideshow visualization.  It would be great as well.

Thx 

Dibbes

what ever happened to liking the first post? Have the rules changed when I was napping again?

+1 by the way

cracksloth

Yes, source code for both Milkdrop and ProjectM are available which make them the most likely candidates. ProjectM is still being actively developed I believe.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@Luke or @ebr, any word on whether inclusion of music visualizations will come with Server 4.6? Either ProjectM or Milkdrop?

8 minutes ago, EZEd said:

@Luke or @ebr, any word on whether inclusion of music visualizations will come with Server 4.6? Either ProjectM or Milkdrop?

Not yet, sorry.

I think visualizations would be cool.. I use Winamp... ( yes still ) and have been for a long time ( tried other things.. trust me ) I have my own directories for plug-ins, skins, and AVS... custom AVS playlist (folders)... I would LOVE to see this happen - Something to process the AVS Visualization Studio files... I think it uses Direct Draw/Direct X or something not for sure... Was really the most modifiable when it came to creating your own and inserting your images, text.. doing crazy stuff.. I remember those days..

Would be a very cool option... I remember reading Plex offered something like this but after I installed/tried it I never found the option.. :P

• 1 year later...
Josephus
On 3/10/2021 at 2:25 AM, Luke said:

Not yet, sorry.

Lyrics are now available, what about the visualization? I am hacking on wavesurfer.js these days, will you consider it as a new feature in ver. 4.7?

7 hours ago, Josephus said:

Lyrics are now available, what about the visualization? I am hacking on wavesurfer.js these days, will you consider it as a new feature in ver. 4.7?

It's certainly possible down the road but it's not going to be in 4.7. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Any read or hint on whether we're getting any closer to having integrated music visualizations implemented into any of the clients yet?  I doubt that it is but figured I'd bump the conversation anyway to help elevate it up a little more onto the development roadmap.

37 minutes ago, EZEd said:

Any read or hint on whether we're getting any closer to having integrated music visualizations implemented into any of the clients yet?  I doubt that it is but figured I'd bump the conversation anyway to help elevate it up a little more onto the development roadmap.

Hi, now that we have lyrics it could be a next step for music.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
BeachBum83

I want to bump this and say that a music visualizer — ideally including the now-playing title and artist — would be vastly better than dropping into a screensaver. This would be especially great for those of us who use the TV system (Apple TV/Surround System) for primary music playback. It's a trivial luxury, of course, but it would still be pretty great.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1