Android offline

saitoh183
Go to solution Solved by Hydro,

Vidman

Yes but with this workaround stats are not maintained such as watched status and resume points which in turn messes up your next up and suggestions lists

Edited by Vidman

Pete_Repeat

If you have synced your videos you can access them over the filesystem on the phone and play them with another player. I know it's just a workaround but it did work for me.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did this when I realised I couldn't do it without the internet connection.

But yes, it's not ideal as Vidman has mentioned.

I also find that if I change the sync details (eg change number of files to sync in a particular sync setup) that the sync doesn't update and the files aren't updated. I'm just assuming that the sync isn't ready for final release either as it doesn't seem to sync even if I go and manually to sync.

• 2 weeks later...
mikejclark

It's coming soon.

Any update on this? This is the most important functionality for me. I moved from madsonic and became an emby supporter, but no use to me without offline support. Recently got my pi2 emby server working, but will have to re-build build a madsonic server again if offline support is not imminent.

Look forward to your response

Pete_Repeat

If I wasn't paying to have this service I would normally be a little more patient... But is there any indication of when this will be released other than "soon" of which was said 6 month's ago.

As I said, if I wasn't paying a monthly fee I would be more patient, but my emby service just isn't really being used without this feature and may need to be reverting back to mediamonkey for syncing of video and watched status which wasn't my first choice. Well kodi was my first choice, but came to the emby server for watched status and syncing on my devices as kodi doeant so that.

• 2 weeks later...
thefirstofthe300

I am in the same boat here.  I am wondering when the last push will be made to have sync on Android feature complete.  I have been trying to push myself away from using Plex but I find myself installing it over and over again for the simple fact that I need to be able to use sync completely offline at times.  As soon as this feature goes live, I am pretty sure I can say goodbye to Plex permanently.

• 2 weeks later...
Capt.Insano

I am looking forward to this feature being implemented.

I was travelling at the weekend (the first of much Christmas based travelling!!) and had synced some movies and episodes to my Nexux 7 for watching on the flight. I didn't realise that Emby did not offer offline support until I was on the plane!!

Thankfully I figured out what is mentioned previously in this thread:

Navigate to /sdcard/emby/sync with a FileManager app and/or use MXPlayer or other video player to play the files.

I know there have been many updates to the Beta Android App recently, any of these updates related to upcoming Offline Support?!

Pete_Repeat

It will be in the next significant app update. It is next on the list. The only reason it would not be in the very next release is in the event we have to put out some kind of bug fix for whatever reason.

So I'm guessing the recent change in version number isn't classed as a significant update even though it's 4.0?

Still no updates on this other than "coming soon"?  This is getting very long in the tooth since it was said oming soon. Wouldn't be complaining if I wasn't paying a monthly fee..... But I am. 

• 5 weeks later...
Pete_Repeat

Still no response. Don't particularly want to setup plex but it appears that does everything I am asking. Looks like offline usage in emby is not likely to be soon seeing the lack of response here.

I apologize that this feature has been delayed as I do really want to get it done. The reason for the delay is that a new way of doing it has come to light that I need to set aside time to explore, because if it works out like I'm expecting then the results are going to be incredible because the benefits will extend beyond the android app itself. Again I am sorry that this has created a delay in getting the feature out.

• Like 2

john6555

Understand the reasoning for the delays but given the amount of time that has passed I am dubious that this is a top priority for the devs. Obviously we all want the feature working (as advertised) including the devs but from an outside perspective it seems to be back burnered among other priorities. It's a shame because meanwhile Plex does offer offline support and continues to strengthen their product, so once the feature is added it may no longer have the impact it once would have.

Redshirt

Understand the reasoning for the delays but given the amount of time that has passed I am dubious that this is a top priority for the devs. Obviously we all want the feature working (as advertised) including the devs but from an outside perspective it seems to be back burnered among other priorities. It's a shame because meanwhile Plex does offer offline support and continues to strengthen their product, so once the feature is added it may no longer have the impact it once would have.

I'm curious how many core devs you think there are? Emby has become a massive project in a fairly short amount of time. There are lots of "top priorities", but is there the manpower to realize them...

Pete_Repeat

Hi Luke.

Will you report back here when Emby has this offline mode developed?

I will give plex a go in the meantime, but perhaps look at coming back to Emby once it's syncing and offline usage has been implemented.

• 2 weeks later...

also, what could be great is a way to see all my offline medias. A bit like Plex do it (choice between remote server and local "server"). So that way i can see all my local medias. So far, i prefer how emby is working with subtitle but have to admit that plex offline medias is better.

Pete_Repeat

Same here. I'm trying Plex and it seems to fit my purpose at the moment, but I prefer how Emby integrates with kodi. I also like the way emby looks.

So here's to hoping that the offline and improvements/advances in syncing (more defined rules and reliability) come soon, particularly the offline mode and recording of watched status.

• 2 weeks later...
Capt.Insano

I am looking forward to this feature being implemented.

I was travelling at the weekend (the first of much Christmas based travelling!!) and had synced some movies and episodes to my Nexux 7 for watching on the flight. I didn't realise that Emby did not offer offline support until I was on the plane!!

Thankfully I figured out what is mentioned previously in this thread:

Navigate to /sdcard/emby/sync with a FileManager app and/or use MXPlayer or other video player to play the files.

I know there have been many updates to the Beta Android App recently, any of these updates related to upcoming Offline Support?!

I am just back from another trip and using the workaround as above, just wondering; any further updates Luke?

Do any of the "dramatic performance improvements" mentioned in the 3.0.5870 release have anything to do with upcoming offline android support?

Thanks as always!

• 2 months later...
Pete_Repeat

coming very soon.

So this is still coming very soon?? Yes I am stirring, but please can we have a realistic update on this? It's almost a year since this statement and your customers  really haven't been updated much about this feature. 

Any ideas of time frames? As in weeks, months... 

Will this be offered to beta users first? 

Will it record the play count data etc when offline and sync it when back on a network? 

I don't mean to troll but you have  said coming soon for a long  time now. If it could be year then just say it so I know where it stands. 

Edited by Pete_Repeat
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest petwri

Just saying, I want to purchase Emby Premiere, but without this offline sync feature on Android, I simply don't see any reason why I should. Please, please, please get it done!

Guest petwri

Live TV in theater seems to be the main focus atm

I don't get that, there's plenty of live tv software out there that could provide streaming features. But there is hardly anything for seamless interdevice sync. And it is one of the most advertised features of emby. That does not work though.

The recent android releases have taken care of some pre-requisites that were needed for this, such as targeting the app for api 23 and supporting runtime folder permissions, so it is ongoing.

Guest petwri

The recent android releases have taken care of some pre-requisites that were needed for this, such as targeting the app for api 23 and supporting runtime folder permissions, so it is ongoing.

So, everything is there on the server side, it's Android itself that is holding you back?