Android offline

saitoh183
Go to solution Solved by Hydro,

saitoh183

I just noticed in the dev that I was able to choose my android device as Sync option. It says Sync complete for the show I tested. Does this mean we can Sync offline now?

Sp3kt3r

If I'm correct the sync works fine with android. I've been using it for a few days now but I think the android apps is not ready for offline playback. I'll let Luke or Ebr confirm that.

saitoh183

If I'm correct the sync works fine with android. I've been using it for a few days now but I think the android apps is not ready for offline playback. I'll let Luke or Ebr confirm that.

Yeah im wondering for the offline playback...cuz i didnt see any Info in the last Droid update on the play store

There's no offline support yet and there's no in-app sync management yet. That's why we haven't promoted sync support yet in android, because those things need to get done first.

But, using the web client you can create sync jobs, the content will sync, and then when you play the offline version will be used.

saitoh183

There's no offline support yet and there's no in-app sync management yet. That's why we haven't promoted sync support yet in android, because those things need to get done first.

But, using the web client you can create sync jobs, the content will sync, and then when you play the offline version will be used.

@@Luke, so the file is on my device and if i play it, it will be the offline version even if the official support for offline is not implemented yet?

Yes, as long as you are able to connect to the server as well, the app will choose the local copy for playback.

reluctantflux

@saitoh183 

I believe the current status is that you can sync files to your Android device, but the device will still need connection to the server.  If you have no connection to the server, you will not be able to log on or play anything, even offline files.  If you do have a connection to your server, though, instead of streaming the file and probably transcoding from the server, it'll just play the offline file that is synced directly on the device, so no buffering should occur.

Full offline sync is in the works, but isn't fully implemented. 

saitoh183

Yes, as long as you are able to connect to the server as well, the app will choose the local copy for playback.

@saitoh183 

I believe the current status is that you can sync files to your Android device, but the device will still need connection to the server.  If you have no connection to the server, you will not be able to log on or play anything, even offline files.  If you do have a connection to your server, though, instead of streaming the file and probably transcoding from the server, it'll just play the offline file that is synced directly on the device, so no buffering should occur.

Full offline sync is in the works, but isn't fully implemented. 

Ok, So even if i see it show in the server that i am currently playing a show that is synced to my phone, It is playing the offline version (hence why it says direct play). My other questions is what if i am watching the shows and during playback, i loose connection to the server, while the show continue to play or stop as if i was streaming? I ask because i watch shows in the train and there is a tunnel that causes a lost of  LTE for about 5mins. So streaming isnt possible during that small window.

Eventually, it will all work as you expect it to.  We just haven't gotten there yet.  So you probably just want to wait until the functionality is completed.

As for how it will behave in that situation right now you can try it and see.  I think playback will be fine but it is going to time out trying to report to the server and I have no idea how the app will react to that.

saitoh183

Eventually, it will all work as you expect it to.  We just haven't gotten there yet.  So you probably just want to wait until the functionality is completed.

As for how it will behave in that situation right now you can try it and see.  I think playback will be fine but it is going to time out trying to report to the server and I have no idea how the app will react to that.

@@ebr

• 3 weeks later...
Deihmos

How are the files being transferred to the Android device and where are they stored? I am using the web client and I noticed there was an option to sync.

Ok I guess I need to have the android app installed and can't use the mobile web client.

Edited by Deihmos

saitoh183

How are the files being transferred to the Android device and where are they stored? I am using the web client and I noticed there was an option to sync.

Ok I guess I need to have the android app installed and can't use the mobile web client.

Right. This will only work with the Win8.1 app and the android client (even if offline is not fully implemented yet)

saitoh183

You can directly download content with the web client tho

yeah you can always do that if you want. Unless you want watched status to update after your done watching and removal of media from device once your done. 

• 2 weeks later...
Hydro

How does it work to sync with android ? (even if i can't play offline)

I create a job to sync tv show, when do i know that episodes will be sync ?

saitoh183

How does it work to sync with android ? (even if i can't play offline)

I create a job to sync tv show, when do i know that episodes will be sync ?

On The server Look in the sync section. If it is Queued , Click on convert at the top right to start the process. The Android app does not have sync fully implemented yet so you have no control via the Android app of the sync process.

• Like 1

Hydro

Must i be on the same network ? It says star 14 days free trial, must i do something to enable sync trial ?

saitoh183

Must i be on the same network ? It says star 14 days free trial, must i do something to enable sync trial ?

No, as long as you can connect to your server it can sync over wifi. did you buy the app?

saitoh183

Yes I bought the app. Sync still queued

Since sync is not fully implemented in Android, So you cannot set the app to sync on startup like the Win8.1 app. You just have to wait for the server to sync to the device. 

• Like 1

saitoh183

Even if I try manually ?

The only manual you can do is start the conversion of the file to get it ready for transfer if needed. You could try starting the android app, then on your server start the conversion with the button and see if that works

thefirstofthe300

Under the current app, if you go to accounts>emby, you can manually sync that way. It will only sync content that the server says is ready though. It won't fire conversion and then download like Plex does.

Hydro

The problem is the sync task still queued. I left emby open on my tablet all night, task schedule to every 3 hours but nothing this morning. Must i do something to enable free trial ?

No, you don't have to do anything to enable the free trial.  But, it commences the first time you create a sync job.  So, if you did that, say back when the sync feature was first released, then your trial may be up.