Amazon Fire TV and playing WTV files

sbussinger

sbussinger

I'm running Emby server 3.0.5588.1 and playing with the just released Amazon TV app on an Amazon TV Stick. Mostly looking pretty good (nice job guys!), but one problem so far. I'm running Emby server on my Windows Media Center box (Win7) and sharing some WTV files I've recorded myself. They work fine from a browser or from several of the apps. But on the Amazon TV Stick all I get is a black screen where the video should be (audio seems to be fine).

Not all WTV files are a problem, just most of them. I tried perhaps 10 shows and only 2 worked. As I said, those same shows worked in other Emby Apps, the problem is specific to the Amazon TV Stick.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I just want to second this, as I am having this exact same problem.  This didn't use to happen, but seems to be a recent change.  Maybe in the past couple weeks or so?

I just want to second this, as I am having this exact same problem.  This didn't use to happen, but seems to be a recent change.  Maybe in the past couple weeks or so?

The Fire TV app was released yesterday...  Are you experiencing it elsewhere?

I have been using the regular Emby app for Android that I side loaded.  I didn't update it for a while, then when I started to have issues, I updated it to the latest, and still had the issue. 

I believe the side loaded app was Media Browser 2 1.38

and the updated version was Emby 2.2.29

Hope sbussinger doesn't mind my additions.  They seem like the same problem.

For the record, I haven't tried the Fire TV app yet.  I was going to do that today when I got home.

And, just like sbussinger, it only happens on the Android app.  It works fine on a PC or either of the iOS apps.

Edited by Fuego

sbussinger

I played with this a bit more tonight and have some additional details.

I can't find a pattern on which WTV files work and which don't. I have two episodes of "The Good Wife" recorded, one worked and one didn't. I have three episodes of "Once Upon A Time" and all of them worked. No other files I tried worked. "The Good Wife" was recorded at 1080; "Once Upon A Time" was 720. I had it set for 5 mbps bandwidth, but upping it to 30 mbps didn't help. I had no problems with any non-WTV files I tried (MKV,AVI,MP4).

I tried unchecking "Enable HLS Streaming" and that sort of gave me video for all WTV files, but it was unwatchable (blocky, jerky, completely unrecognizable much of the time). Other video file types worked OK in this mode. I could try recording 1 minute of something as a test file if that would help track this down.

Is anyone else having better luck with WTV files?

Thanks!

Please post the media info (end of the web client detail page) for both the episode of "The Good Wife" that worked and the one that didn't.

sbussinger

OK, I now have 3 episodes of "The Good Wife" to work with. Here's the Media Info from each (only the first one works):

This one works:

Subtitle
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo

Audio
Languageeng
CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Bitrate375 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultNo

Audio
Languagespa
CodecAC3
Layoutmono
Bitrate125 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultNo

Video
CodecMPEG2VIDEO
ProfileMain
Level4
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedYes
Framerate29.97003
Bitrate9243 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p

Embedded Image
CodecMJPEG
Level-99
Resolution200x113
Framerate90000
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuvj420p
DefaultNo
Containerwtv

PathD:\TV Shows\The Good Wife\Season 06\The Good Wife s06e18.wtv
Size4262 MB

This one doesn't:

Subtitle
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo

Audio
Languageeng
CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Bitrate375 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultNo

Audio
Languagespa
CodecAC3
Layoutstereo
Bitrate125 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultNo

Video
CodecMPEG2VIDEO
ProfileMain
Level4
Resolution1920x1080
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedYes
Framerate29.97003
Bitrate7828 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p

Embedded Image
CodecMJPEG
Level-99
Resolution200x113
Framerate90000
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuvj420p
DefaultNo
Containerwtv

PathD:\TV Shows\The Good Wife\Season 06\The Good Wife s06e19.wtv
Size3610 MB

Nor does this one:

Subtitle
CodecCC_DEC
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo

Audio
Languageeng
CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Bitrate375 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultNo

Audio
Languagespa
CodecAC3
Layoutstereo
Bitrate125 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultNo

Video
CodecMPEG2VIDEO
ProfileMain
Level4
Resolution1920x1080
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate29.97003
Bitrate7872 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p

Embedded Image
CodecMJPEG
Level-99
Resolution200x113
Framerate90000
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuvj420p
DefaultNo
Containerwtv

PathD:\TV Shows\The Good Wife\Season 06\The Good Wife s06e20.wtv

To simplify, I made a spreadsheet of the differences between them. I also added in a working episode of "Once Upon A Time".

553fb51004515_emby1.png

But I don't see any pattern to what's working and what isn't.

• 2 weeks later...
bmoses

Are there any updates to this issue? i just got a fire tv stick over the weekend and have been playing around with it off and on, hope to replace my HTPC setups with this. during initial testing i wasn't able to play some random recorded TV WTV files. The audio would start playing but it would just be a black screen, no video. WTV files work everywhere else i stream them, media center classic and the emby app on my phone.

granted i haven't tried it since the updated version that was just released within the last day or 2. hope to get some more time to play around with and configure things tonight.

Nothing has been specifically discovered at this point.  WTV always seems to cause weird issues though.  Do try the current version and let us know if it improves.

bmoses

Just got home and am testing it out, no go :( I tried 5 different recorded tv files and all of them played audio with a black screen. One of them my wife had been watching last night in media center classic and I tried resuming it and it gave a can't play video file error. I didn't try restarting it as I don't want to lose the resume spot.

Let me know what logs and info you need to take a look at this and I'll get them for you!

I guess a transcode log for one that works and one that doesn't.

bmoses

i haven't found one that works yet so here are 2 transcode logs from the same file. the larger of the 2 logs is with the debug logging turned on.

logs.zip

Here is the immediate difference I see but I need Luke to confirm if it is significant.

The one that doesn't work has this message in it:

[mpeg2video @ 0000000002f12c00] Invalid frame dimensions 0x0.
    Last message repeated 20 times
  • Like 1

bmoses

Hey, just wanted to check in and see if you found anything with this? If you need more testing from me just let me know, thanks!!!

bmoses

Fyi - I tested on the latest server beta release just in case and the ones that don't work still aren't. If you need anything from me let me know!

ajz1982

I'm also having this same problem with all my wtv recordings on the Fire Stick. Let me know if you need any more log files to resolve the issue.

leebo

I see this still has not been resolved yet?

I have a suspicion but I need a bit more info. From the media info posted earlier in this thread, it appears to me that the files that do play are OLDER than the files that do not play? Is this correct? If so, can you identify a date where before that date your recordings play, and files recorded after that date do not play?

Edit: Forgot to ask whether you are recording from an antenna or cable.

Edited by leebo

ajz1982

This is now working properly for me with the latest server and app that just came out.

Is it possible to have a couple of more options under the Live TV portion for sorting the recorded TV? Right now it's just a long list but it would be great to have a series option like the Emby server has.

ajz1982

What app that just came out?

Server 3.0.5621.3. For the Emby Fire Stick app I thought it had a version update because the logo changed.

bmoses

this is now working for me as well. i tested some recorded TV that wasn't working previously and it is now. thanks for getting this fixed and the new guide and interface is awesome! i think its at the point i can safely replace a HTPC with the fire tv stick :)

• Like 1

farside847

Might be a dumb question but does emby transcode WTV files On the FTV?

How do they look on the FTV?

I use a roku now and have never really figured out the frame rate conversation of 60fps interlaced content to a format that the roku can play (30fps non interlaced) and still be silky smooth.

Thanks!

Edited by farside847

I haven't tested specifically, but I'm sure the Fire will need to transcode WTV as that is a format that not many things natively support.

P.S. - Your avatar is one of my all-time favorite Far Side frames :).