Android & Chromecast subtitle size/font

gbdematos

gbdematos

Hi!

I started using Emby a few days ago, but I'm having an issue. I'm from another country so I use subtitles (SRT) in basically all that I watch. And the font/size are just too small!

Oh the phone the size is fine, but the subs are white, and when the video has a white or bright background, I can't read anything.

Same thing when I mirror the video to Chromecast from the Android app, white with no shadows, and in addition, they are too small.

I've already changed settings on Android app to the biggest size (Large, if I'm not mistaken).. I don't know if it made a difference on Chromecat, but still too small...

I've also tried using stylized ssa/ass subs, but the ssa shows the "style text", like font, border, etc, above the sub text in each line and doesn't change the style, and the ass just shows the same old white subs.

What can I do to correct this?

Thank you!

Gabriel

Edited by gbdematos

The android subtitle settings do not apply to chromecast. For Chromecast we are using the default font size set by the device although we've overridden the subtitle background color. I've just pushed an update to the Chromecast receiver to adjust this. Please reboot your CC device and then try again.

As far as customizing the font size of CC subtitles, this is currently not supported but it something we can look at in a future release.

For ssa/ass, the reason the original styling is not preserved is because we are converting the subs to plain text in order to avoid transcoding. I can add a server setting for this to force transcoding by burning the subtitles into the video. This will preserve the original styling at the cost of higher cpu usage.

And? In those second two screens the actor names are burned into the video. there is nothing we can do to avoid overlap there other than putting the subtitles in some other non-standard position

badous

My comprehension of the english is not that great, but from your response to gbdematos is there a way to add an outline coloris to the subtitles?

Thanks for thé quick answer.

gbdematos

The android subtitle settings do not apply to chromecast. For Chromecast we are using the default font size set by the device although we've overridden the subtitle background color. I've just pushed an update to the Chromecast receiver to adjust this. Please reboot your CC device and then try again.

After @@Luke's response, I rebooted my CC and the subs got a very thin shadow, and it's fine now on white backgrounds, thank you!

It's still unreadable when the actors name are appearing, or other texts... It'd be great to add a background, like it does when using Chrome. Maybe in the future? Or just increase the size a little.

---

I have another issue.. related to subtitles.

When I pause the video, a box appears at the bottom with video information, right? But when I play again, the box stays there for some seconds, preventing the user to read the subtitles behind it. Is there a way to "configure" this box? Maybe set it to disappear right after hitting play, or moving it to the superior instead of bottom... either one would work.

Thank you!

Gabriel

Edited by gbdematos

• 1 year later...
miquelx

I aso would really like to see a setting to increase the size and style of the chromecast subtitles.

@@Luke
Is this something that is being worked on?

We are using the system default (chromecast) subtitle presentation.

SgtAdam

As far as customizing the font size of CC subtitles, this is currently not supported but it something we can look at in a future release.

For ssa/ass, the reason the original styling is not preserved is because we are converting the subs to plain text in order to avoid transcoding. I can add a server setting for this to force transcoding by burning the subtitles into the video. This will preserve the original styling at the cost of higher cpu usage.

Any chance you guys are gonna do this anytime soon? I use Emby for all my anime on my chromecast and while before it was fine, lately it's very annoying to see all the errors because of the default subtitle reader in the chromecast.

Adding that feature alone would make me pay for premium so bad.

SgtAdam

So for anime this is .ass/ssa format subtitles?

It really depends on the fansub group or what the source is, but most of it is .ass/ssa.

for chromecast, the format dictates where the drawing is happening. .ass will happen on the server by burning in with transcoding. ssa and plain text formats like srt we handle directly on the chromecast. so i'm guessing for you it must be ssa because .ass should come out perfect when ffmpeg handles it on the server.

SgtAdam

for chromecast, the format dictates where the drawing is happening. .ass will happen on the server by burning in with transcoding. ssa and plain text formats like srt we handle directly on the chromecast. so i'm guessing for you it must be ssa because .ass should come out perfect when ffmpeg handles it on the server.

It used to do that until one of the latest updates. Now only specific shows have their subs burned in while others, which when I double check the subbers say .ass, look like they must actually be srt, yet when I use MPC-HC from CCCP, no problems. Also I dunno if the transcoder isn't doing it right away but I have to start and stop some movies before subtitles even show up.

and in what app are you playing it? can you discuss the example? thanks.

SgtAdam

and in what app are you playing it? can you discuss the example? thanks.

To my chromecast 2015 version. Using chrome to start the video and send it there. I have other shows that work perfectly fine, the only problem is the text is broken, as the text is supposed to be in italics and it'll show <i> in the subtitle before the line, but I don't see this problem in VLC, MPC-HC and even other chromecast apps like Videostream.

Ok, according to ffmpeg these are ssa. We typically send these down to the client converted to srt in the interests of avoiding burning them in, which for some users can be painful for their server. I am going to change that for the next server release and just burn them in anyway.

Keep in mind we have several apps that support ass/ssa in-app without any burning in, including the web client, android, emby theater, etc. You can read about the web client support here:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-300-emby-server-305930-released/

Since chromecast is html based i would eventually like to give it that same feature, I just haven't been able to make time for it yet.

SgtAdam

Ok, according to ffmpeg these are ssa. We typically send these down to the client converted to srt in the interests of avoiding burning them in, which for some users can be painful for their server. I am going to change that for the next server release and just burn them in anyway.

Keep in mind we have several apps that support ass/ssa in-app without any burning in, including the web client, android, emby theater, etc. You can read about the web client support here:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-300-emby-server-305930-released/

Since chromecast is html based i would eventually like to give it that same feature, I just haven't been able to make time for it yet.

Ah thanks for helping.

• 1 year later...