How do I update Channel Guide from XLTV file on a schedule?

rikiwi

Trevor68

I had a play with EPG Collector, but it only seems to be for foxtel in Australia, unless there's a way to manually configure it for freeview perhaps?

Can be done for OTA. I did it a while back but decided to stay with NextPVR anyway. when I get access to the HTPC I'll check out the settings.

Trevor68

Yes, I use NextPVR, I just wanted to add guide data to it using EPG Collector as the current guide data sucks. Also I have Genre Colours working in the app, but they do not show on its webpage, or emby, so same as the logo's I guess.

If you follow the userguide closely it is quite easy to set up if a little manual... you will need the Transmit frequency of each channel group you want to add, Channel Nine, Seven, SBS etc and will need to enter each separately in the Tuning Tab and at the same time choosing the EPG source eg EIT or MHEG5. After you have entered your channels you need to save the configuration and then run the EPG Update. I used MHEG5 as the source and its pretty good, containing more information that EIT. Good luck

Trevor68

there is a userguide for this? I have EPG Collector setup, it is creating a TVGuide.XLTV file inside the NVPR\Scripts folder, which I presume NVPR will read every 2:00am.

The last hurdle is to get EPG Collector to run twice a day to update the file, I guess that's where the Windows Task comes in?

Trevor68

Gotcha, just defeating a few EPG errors right now, could you possibly post the contents of your 2 bat files please. I have been to the nvpr forums and found no mention of epg collector in their wiki, so unsure how to word it.

Also unsure of the epg collector one for the windows task to run it.

I haven't actually setup any bat files as yet, I just wanted to check it out. I'm getting all I need through NextPVR EPG collection. I don't actually use EMBY to record anything as I have a second pc set up with Win7 / WMC which does all my recording. I just use EMBY to watch TV when I'm not able to view a TV screen - eg bedroom  or outside etc.

Trevor68

Bugger, reading the first page I "think" there is no need to schedule EPG Collector, as you can use the NVPR Bat to not only read the xml, but also call EPG Collector to update it. Noone has posted code though, not even on the NVPR forums

@@Sven posted this, but the second line needs modifcation for EPG Collector.

cd "C:\XMLTV_EPG\"
mc2xml.exe -d 168 -s -1 -o xmltv.xml

Edited by Trevor68

Trevor68

I found a batch file that I can use to update the xml.

cd \"C:\Program Files (x86)\Geekzone\EPG Collector\EPGCollector.exe"
EPGCollector.exe /ini="C:\Users\(Name of your computer)\AppData\Local\Geekzone\EPG Collector\EPG Collector Parameters.ini"

Last hurdle now is figuring out how to get NVPR to actually read it.

In NextPVR go to the Settings / Channels page, select a channel and click on "Details" at the bottom, change the EPG Source to XMLTV, set the location of the XMLTV file and make sure the mapping is correct then click OK. repeat for each channel. I think that's all you need to do. When finished click on "Update EPG" and you "should" be good to go...

Edited by jordy

Trevor68

Pretty close to just giving this away now, finally got EPG Collector to output what looks like a valid xml file, but the moment I hit Update EPG in NextPVR the program crashes instantly

Pretty close to just giving this away now, finally got EPG Collector to output what looks like a valid xml file, but the moment I hit Update EPG in NextPVR the program crashes instantly

I've not heard of NextPVR crashing regardless of how bad any xmltv file is. What error message do you get?

If you want to supply the xmltv file, I'll try it here.

Trevor68

Nextpvr. I am assuming its not liking the form of the xml that has been output by EPG Collector. I think I had best post some logs, and the output over on the nextpvr forums and hope someone can tell me the right settings for the EPG Collector output.

here is the outputted xml file attached.

TVGuide.xml

Edited by Trevor68

Nextpvr. I am assuming its not liking the form of the xml that has been output by EPG Collector. I think I had best post some logs, and the output over on the nextpvr forums and hope someone can tell me the right settings for the EPG Collector output.

Lots of people use EPG Collector xmltv files with NextPVR, so it should be fine. Even if your xmltv file has something weird about it, the worst that should happen is that NextPVR will tell you it can't read the file - it shouldn't crash.

Yep, post the logs and/or error message on the NextPVR forums and I'll check for you.

What type of tuner are you using? I'll try to give you instructions for how you'd set it up.

I'm assuming you're using a digital tuner, in which case the general steps are as follows:

1) First we need to setup your channels. Go to the Settings->Devices screen, double click the device, select 'Australia - All Regions', hit 'Scan'. Hit OK to save the channels.

2) Next we need to map your channels. Go to the Settings->Channels screen, double click a channel. Set the 'EPG Source' to 'XMLTV', hit the 'Browse' button and select your xmltv file. Use the 'Mapping' drop down to select your channel from the xmltv file. That channel should be done now. Next you can either repeat these steps for each of the channels, or hit the 'Bulk map' button and map the rest of the channels in one go.

3) Pull in the EPG, but going to the Settings->Channels screen, and hitting the 'Update EPG' button.

Then you should be good to go.

Hi @@sub3, perhaps you would like to try mine. I can't get NextPVR to import it either. It goes through the motions and doesn't crash or give any error msgs, but I get a guide full of nothing.  If you can get it to work then perhaps you could supply the necessary settings to make it work - eg does it have to be in a specific Folder etc

What type of tuner are you using? I'll try to give you instructions for how you'd set it up.

I'm assuming you're using a digital tuner, in which case the general steps are as follows:

1) First we need to setup your channels. Go to the Settings->Devices screen, double click the device, select 'Australia - All Regions', hit 'Scan'. Hit OK to save the channels.

2) Next we need to map your channels. Go to the Settings->Channels screen, double click a channel. Set the 'EPG Source' to 'XMLTV', hit the 'Browse' button and select your xmltv file. Use the 'Mapping' drop down to select your channel from the xmltv file. That channel should be done now. Next you can either repeat these steps for each of the channels, or hit the 'Bulk map' button and map the rest of the channels in one go.

3) Pull in the EPG, but going to the Settings->Channels screen, and hitting the 'Update EPG' button.

Then you should be good to go.

That's exactly what I did with the xmltv file I just posted, but all I see is something like "No program detected" (not sure about the exact text but you get my drift) in each time block. Any ideas?

I'm using a Leadtek DVB1000s tuner, which NextPVR has no problem extracting the EIT guide from, However I'm trying to use EPG Collector to get at the MHEG5 data because it's more detailed in respect of season/episode numbers etc.

Edited by jordy

Hi @@sub3, perhaps you would like to try mine. I can't get NextPVR to import it either. It goes through the motions and doesn't crash or give any error msgs, but I get a guide full of nothing.  If you can get it to work then perhaps you could supply the necessary settings to make it work - eg does it have to be in a specific Folder etc

Ok - I'll check yours now.

That's exactly what I did with the xmltv file I just posted, but all I see is something like "No program detected" (not sure about the exact text but you get my drift) in each time block. Any ideas?

I got the same thing as you when I tried your xmltv file, but I quickly spotted why. It's because of the different date format used in the <previously-shown> tag (aka 'original air date'), which I haven't seen in any other xmltv files. I've modified the next build to handle it. (They're all "20000101000000 +1030" anyway, so not great data)

In the meantime, I'm guessing EPG Collector gives you the option whether to include this information in the xmltv file? Can you turn it off for now? ie, Trevor68's EPG Collector file doesn't have these, and I haven't seen them in anyone else's EPG Collector generated xmltv files. If you can't turn it off, I'll see if I can provide a patch for you to add support for this format.

Edited by sub3

I got the same thing as you when I tried your xmltv file, but I quickly spotted why. It's because of the different date format used in the <previously-shown> tag (aka 'original air date'), which I haven't seen in any other xmltv files. I've modified the next build to handle it. (They're all "20000101000000 +1030" anyway, so not great data)

In the meantime, I'm guessing EPG Collector gives you the option whether to include this information in the xmltv file? Can you turn it off for now? ie, Trevor68's EPG Collector file doesn't have these, and I haven't seen them in anyone else's EPG Collector generated xmltv files. If you can't turn it off, I'll see if I can provide a patch for you to add support for this format.

Ok, that is an EPGCollector setting designed to identify a repeat showing. I thought it would be good to enable it to make sure that repeats don't get recorded. I can turn it off and check again. Thanks

edit: re (They're all "20000101000000 +1030" anyway, so not great data) that's prob the default date used where EPGC can't find  the original air date...

Edited by jordy