How do I update Channel Guide from XLTV file on a schedule?

rikiwi

rikiwi
I have been trying to figure this out for a while and it's driving me mad, and my wife.

If this topic has already been answered, please point me to the post.

I use EPG Collector to scrape for epg data and this gets inserted into the WMC guide each day on a windows schedule, and this has been working for years.

Until recently I was using ServerWMC to get  Live TV in Emby, but due to very erratic recording of live TV, I now have switched to NextPVR.

So far NO recordings have failed but I am still having to manually run the guide update from the NextPVR ui.

NextPVR/Settings/Channels/Update EPG

Once this has been done, Emby updates the guide on schedule.

I have set up a Windows Schedule to run EPGCollector and create an XMLTV file - TVGuide.xml

This runs twice a day to keep the EPG updated.

So my question is - how do I get NextPVR to update the Guide automatically from the TVGuide.xml file?

I have spent some time on the NextPVR site reading the Wiki but still can't figure it out. I probably need to create a .bat file, but I'm a bit of a novice at this.

Sorry for the long post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sven

I use the mc2xml tool.

What you need to do is put a bat file in the scripts folder (under the nextpvr folder)

What i do in that bat folder....
I hope it helps you to solve your issue...

cd "C:\XMLTV_EPG\"
mc2xml.exe -d 168 -s -1 -o xmltv.xml

rikiwi

Thanks for your input Sven

I did a lot more reading and now have my XML file in C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Scripts

I looked at using mc2xml but it does not work for New Zealand.

i now have NextPVR and Emby updating EPG automatically, but for some reason my Windows Schedule is now not working. Ah well  :huh:

rikiwi

I've now sorted my Windows schedule so now EPG gets updated every day.

Now, my only problem with using NextPVR is that one channel, Al Jazeera, English, New Zealand, does not play. All EPG data is updated and displayed correctly.

This channel worked fine when I was using ServerWMC before switching to NextPVR.

The weird thing this works perfectly in WMC.

I'm using the same 3 tuners for both.

Avermedia Dual DTV card

Pinnacle DTV USB Stick

Please let me know if I should move this post to a more appropriate place.

• 8 months later...

Thanks for your input Sven

I did a lot more reading and now have my XML file in C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Scripts

I looked at using mc2xml but it does not work for New Zealand.

i now have NextPVR and Emby updating EPG automatically, but for some reason my Windows Schedule is now not working. Ah well  :huh:

@@rikiwi

I have been trying to setup EPGCollector to work with NextPVR. I have set the Updateepg bat and running it from the scripts file, it creates the TVGuide xml. However the NextPVR TV Guide is not populated. Can you provide any guidance or share your setup? Thanks for any help.

@@rikiwi

I have been trying to setup EPGCollector to work with NextPVR. I have set the Updateepg bat and running it from the scripts file, it creates the TVGuide xml. However the NextPVR TV Guide is not populated. Can you provide any guidance or share your setup? Thanks for any help.

Did you hit the 'Update EPG' button on Settings->Channels? ie, normally an UpdateEPG.bat file wouldn't do anything more than update an xmltv file. NextPVR wont read that file until the next time it does an EPG update.

If an UpdateEPG.bat file exists, NextPVR runs it automatically prior to doing it's EPG update, to give the user a chance to run custom commands, like updating their xmltv files etc.

Did you hit the 'Update EPG' button on Settings->Channels? ie, normally an UpdateEPG.bat file wouldn't do anything more than update an xmltv file. NextPVR wont read that file until the next time it does an EPG update.

If an UpdateEPG.bat file exists, NextPVR runs it automatically prior to doing it's EPG update, to give the user a chance to run custom commands, like updating their xmltv files etc.

Thanks. I now have the  NextPVR  updating through its updateEPG. However, it's not updating using Task Scheduler. I am still checking my setup. Thanks for any suggestions in the interim.

Thanks. I now have the  NextPVR  updating through its updateEPG. However, it's not updating using Task Scheduler. I am still checking my setup. Thanks for any suggestions in the interim.

I'm not sure I follow you. What do you need the Task Scheduler for? NextPVR has a service that runs in the background at all times, and it'll run the EPG update process each night. You can configure the time in the NextPVR setting screens. It doesn't need the Task Scheduler for doing this.

(If you think NextPVR is failing to do this each night, I'm happy to take a look at the nrecord.log to check it out for you. If past experience is anything to go by though, it's probably a case of you putting stuff in your batch file that incorrectly assuming the current directory when the batch file is run, or you're saving the tv listings xml file in a directory that is no accessable from the user account the recording service runs as)

Edited by sub3

I'm not sure I follow you. What do you need the Task Scheduler for? NextPVR has a service that runs in the background at all times, and it'll run the EPG update process each night. You can configure the time in the NextPVR setting screens. It doesn't need the Task Scheduler for doing this.

(If you think NextPVR is failing to do this each night, I'm happy to take a look at the nrecord.log to check it out for you. If past experience is anything to go by though, it's probably a case of you putting stuff in your batch file that incorrectly assuming the current directory when the batch file is run, or you're saving the tv listings xml file in a directory that is no accessable from the user account the recording service runs as)

I was trying to run updateepg at an additional time to the time set in NextPVR as I have noticed that later in a day there is no info for some channels that did have info from the auto update. However if I run the updateepg from within NextPVR at that time, the channels are then populated. The EPG update process works.

Running updateepg.bat isn't going to do anything but update your xml file. NextPVR isn't going to know you did that. It's not going to read that file until next time it does it's EPG update.

You can run 'nextpvr.exe -updateepg' though instead, which will run though the normal EPG update process (including running your updateepg.bat).

Are you using ATSC broadcast listings? They're pretty shitty, and only usually carry about 6 hours or so of listings, which is next to useless for PVR purposes. You'd be better of getting a Schedules Direct account, and getting 2-3 weeks of listings. Video showing how to set it up in NextPVR at:

Edited by sub3

Running updateepg.bat isn't going to do anything but update your xml file. NextPVR isn't going to know you did that. It's not going to read that file until next time it does it's EPG update.

You can run 'nextpvr.exe -updateepg' though instead, which will run though the normal EPG update process (including running your updateepg.bat).

Are you using ATSC broadcast listings? They're pretty shitty, and only usually carry about 6 hours or so of listings, which is next to useless for PVR purposes. You'd be better of getting a Schedules Direct account, and getting 2-3 weeks of listings. Video showing how to set it up in NextPVR at:

Yes I am presently using ATSC broadcast listings. Working on understanding NextPVR. Planning on Emby TV in future with Schedules Meanwhile I will try "nextpvr.exe -updateepg".  Thanks for your help.

Edited by lja

• 3 weeks later...
Trevor68

I guess this is sort of related, If I update EPG using NVPR it ppulates the FTA guide fine, but then the next day half of it is missing again, so I again go and manually hit update EPG. I thought it was supposed to update itself at 2am every day, maybe I missed a setting?

I guess this is sort of related, If I update EPG using NVPR it ppulates the FTA guide fine, but then the next day half of it is missing again, so I again go and manually hit update EPG. I thought it was supposed to update itself at 2am every day, maybe I missed a setting?

If you post your logs over at the nextpvr forums, I'm happy to take look what happened with the overnight EPG update.

Hi @@Trevor68, just check in NextPVR to see if you have "update DVB EPG during Live TV" checked on the "Misc" Settings page, if you do, uncheck it. This setting causes the scheduled EPG update to NOT run causing your blank epg - eg it will only update when you are watching Live TV... I had that problem for a couple of weeks until i found this by accident.

@@sub3, any chance of getting NexPVR to do more that one scheduled EPG update every day. It would save a whole lot of messing around with bat files and Windows scheduling. :)

Edited by jordy

Trevor68

Pretty sure you nailed it, unchecking now and will check how it is tomorrow. That is not the most well named setting I have ever come across! I took it to mean we will keep updating even if you are watching tv!

Only thing I can't work out is getting the Channel Logos to show up in Emby, I have them showing ok in NextPVR but its not transferring across to Emby. Have you managed to get them to show @@Trevor68 - or anyone else for that matter?

Trevor68

turned out to be easy for me, I only have 33 channels, so I edited the images for them all using Emby itself, they look great now.

Silly me  :rolleyes:  I forgot about the Metadata Manager. I was expecting them to be automatically transferred from NextPVR. All good now... :)

Trevor68

If you put the logos in the public/nvpr/media/channels folder, and name them exactly the same as your channels, then yes, they "should" autopoulate. For me after adding 14 logos, I noticed that only 4 worked, so gave up and did it in Emby instead.

Getting back on topic, I just realised that NVPR FTA OPG is terribly unreliable? I just did a full refresh of epg, and there is loads of stuff missing, to the point where all my scheduled recordings have vanished, I guess because they don't exist in the guide at all anymore?

This seems odd, as ServerWMC worked fine on its own just using OTG, we never ever missed a recording, maybe I do need that EPG Scraper thingy?

There are sometimes when I see the odd blank spot in the EPG but generally they are all populated. I'm in Adelaide so using the same OTA EPG as yourself.

Re the channel logos, I did place them in the correct NPVR/Media/Channels folder and they populated NPVR just fine (they need to be named to match the channel name in NVPRs EPG in order for it to recognise them). But Emby would not show them even after NVPR/EMBY restarts and EPG updates for both and even a library scan, but they wouldn't show in EMBY until I set them up in the Metadata manager.

If you mean in the NPVR app itself then Yes all of them did. Except for a local station - Channel 44 - haven't found a logo for that one yet. Which ones don't work?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

Edited by jordy

Trevor68

Well kind of, I meant the webpage the app generates, mine all worked in the app too, but not in its own webpage, so doubtful there is a problem with the emby plugin.