Fresh new client design for Roku?

Allan Cameron

i have looked at those samples. the good news is that does look like we can do individual screens at a time, without having to do the entire application at once.

• Like 1

b0dyr0ck2006

I'm going to bump a year old thread here. I had a play with emby on the now tv box (ROKU) and the theme was just appalling. Not user friendly, not flowing or pleasing to the eye and definitely not in keeping with the other branches of emby in terms of styling.

How is the redesign coming along?

dcook

Not sure why everyone is complaining about the Roku App, I use it on Roku3's and its very fast, easy to navigate and I can read the text on the screen just fine.

b0dyr0ck2006

Not sure why everyone is complaining about the Roku App, I use it on Roku3's and its very fast, easy to navigate and I can read the text on the screen just fine.

It looks rubbish

dcook

Maybe something wrong with your TV then?

Looks perfect for me, very similar layout to the Netfix app

Shows my libraries, and I can search, or jump right to the letter I want, or I can choose most recent, or next up 

To me it looks almost exactly the same as the web browser interface, only difference is web browser is more vertical navigation, and Roku is more horizontal

It looks rubbish

b0dyr0ck2006

Maybe something wrong with your TV then?

Looks perfect for me, very similar layout to the Netfix app

Shows my libraries, and I can search, or jump right to the letter I want, or I can choose most recent, or next up

To me it looks almost exactly the same as the web browser interface, only difference is web browser is more vertical navigation, and Roku is more horizontal

Sorry, how is this remotely like the Netflix app? Also it couldn't be further from the web browser interface. It's clunky. It's beyond me why the menus are placed where they are and the way they work, the graphics are pixilated and don't follow the emby theme.

9133c397dbfd8f419fc93e05c8536a8d.jpg

The look and feel of emby across the various branches (apps) should all be tightly integrated, yes perhaps there will be slight deviations due to functionality in the API's but as a whole Emby should look much the same regardless of where you are using it.

Sorry, how is this remotely like the Netflix app? Also it couldn't be further from the web browser interface. It's clunky. It's beyond me why the menus are placed where they are and the way they work, the graphics are pixilated and don't follow the emby theme.

The look and feel of emby across the various branches (apps) should all be tightly integrated, yes perhaps there will be slight deviations due to functionality in the API's but as a whole Emby should look much the same regardless of where you are using it.

Sounds like you should sell your roku then. The UI will only ever be 720p on roku3. Emby theme? Since when did emby have a theme? I see your other posts too. You are just a whiner. I disagree. A third party theme is what you posted in your screenshot. Not the official app. The one by me. This is why I take it personally.

Do you just need a nap, diaper change, and a warm bottle of milk? *Burp*

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

b0dyr0ck2006

And this is useful how?

Perhaps you should take a rest for a while instead of insulting other users. We each have our opinion and are entitled to that opinion, we don't have to agree.

You been through and read all my posts have you? Every single one? Your life sounds fun then

And this is useful how?

Perhaps you should take a rest for a while instead of insulting other users. We each have our opinion and are entitled to that opinion, we don't have to agree.

You been through and read all my posts have you? Every single one? Your life sounds fun then

I contribute more than disparging remarks.

You felt the need to post the same lowbrow comments in many roku threads today. Not just this one yo. This is all I have to see. After this you prove my point. I am responsible for the app in your screenshot. You have fired a shot across my bow sir. It upsets you? Don't poke the bear.

We have our opinion?

Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

Instead of just throwing words lets see you code an app. Afterwards I will nicely call your app a huge "pile of puke". Now we are even and both have opinions.

Edited by speechles

b0dyr0ck2006

Apparently you can't take criticism either, and your maturity shines through with your insults.

I beta test a large array of apps and devices and have done for a number of years, none of which I can talk about due to the collection of NDA's I'm under. If I think something doesn't look or work right, I say so. I'm not going to tip toe about in fear that I may offend the developer, take the input and roll with it or ignore it that's your privilege but resorting to insults because you've taken comments personally is a little childish.

dcook

That is not the same EMBY app as I have, maybe you have an old version I am not sure what you have done, but yes I agree whatever you have looks awful with the glowing blue outlines

I will take a photo of my TV tonight and post here so you can see.

CBers

I will take a photo of my TV tonight and post here so you can see.

If you enable developer mode, you can take a screenshot.

dcook

Good to know, I will try that when I get home and post how my Roku looks

If you enable developer mode, you can take a screenshot.

No need to screenshot. The blueneon app also has the "stock" theme. So the pasting of screens is not required since both themes are included in one app. The argument is the standard app is missing too many features. The blueneon app has lapped it feature wise. The only thing missing is the "pretty graphics". People seem too focused on looks rather than functionality. I got a new music update for the blueneon app, "Artists Tracks". I Will be releasing it later today.

When @@Luke is ready to move onto roku coding he can get together with me and we can each help out designing screens. Until that time I will keep building missing functionality into the existing app.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

dcook

Here is mine, I couldn't get the screen capture to work, so I took a photo, you can see the interface is clean, with the left right horizontal layout which is the same as Netflix, from what I can see the only difference in the Roku interface and the standard web interface is the Roku is more horizontal and the Web Interface is more vertical

To those who say the text is not visible, or it looks gnarish, perhaps need to adjust the colors on your TV

ROKU: (this is crystal clear on my tv, its slightly blurry in this image because I took a photo of my tv with a camera)

574506da65ca0_IMG_1376.jpg

WEB:

5745077e70f1a_Capture11.jpg

Found this image on google, it looks the same (except for the emby logo) as my ROKU, as you can see the text is clear and legible:

3ce60d69809346858bd013c6ff902662.jpg?sz=

Edited by dcook

@@dcook Did you just purchase a roku and are new to emby? One has to assume this because you are praising the stock built-in roku screens.

See here: https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Working+with+Screens

These are the same screens it has used for the last 3 years. This is the old outdated look people are mention. Now look at AndroidTV/FireTV/AppleTV and their clients. It is clear which is more visually rich and which arent. The roku is not visually rich in its presentations. This wont be the case forever. The roku will eventually "catch-up" in the looks department.

Until that time the blueneon app is to create a more feature-rich and colorful look for users. As I also said the blueneon app also has the "stock" monochrome theme. So you can have your cake and eat it too if you prefer that look. It isnt meant to replace the standard app, both can exist at the same time on your roku channels screen.

When using the blueneon theme in the app the "glowing" outline you mention can be changed to the stock white box. The colors of text are all user selectable. The user is given more choice and control than the official app gives you. This may be too much for you. You prefer to be told rather than choose. This is okay too. You can use the standard stock theme in the app.

I do like the enthusiasm you've shown for the little roku box and the praise given it, but the roku can do more than it is right now with emby. Wait til you see what it can really do. Take the training wheels off "so to speak" and graphically WOW people.

Edited by speechles

dcook

I have been using my Roku3 for over a year, and never had a problem with it, not sure what version it is as it auto updates from time to time.  The only apps I use on it are Netflix and Emby with probably 80% usage on Emby.  Its played everything I asked, no lag, or issues with audio, no pixelation, or anything.  What more can you asked for then a solid reliable media player device.  

Why are you obsessed with trying to get the Roku to do more and more?  It does its job very very well, to try and do more and more and more you just going to cause issues.

I use my Roku for watching movies/tv and playing music that is it.  As I said it does the job very well.  If I want to manage my library, update metadata, add collections, etc, etc I just connect via web browser on my laptop, there is no need to try to make it so Roku can do everything possible.

You are saying that the Roku app does not look anywhere the same as the web app, and I posed photos that show you that they are very very similar, aside from navigation where Roku is horizontal and web is vertical.

We are obviously not going to agree, but when people are saying the Roku is crap and it does not work, or looks horrible, I will defend it, as I said its the most reliable media player I have owned, and I have gone through many of them over the years.  It works amazing straight out of the box, the Emby app installs without any issue and the look and experience of the app is very good.

I never mentioned the look, I meant the functionality of the web app. I was quite clear that emby cannot keep competitive against plex with the roku looking like it does. So you alienate users with rokus who abandon emby in favor of plex. Plex has updated its roku app to look beautiful quite some time ago. Emby hasnt got the beautiful part on the roku yet. You cant be complacent and get comfortable. There must be an ever evolving act to keep pace with the competition. It is nice that you love the app in its present form. In fact, almost endearing. But unfortunately the world moves while we sleep. If you expect to stay relevant you have to innovate and show progress. It has progressed to the point that I've fixed every shortcoming I could find feature wise. The only thing left to do is "add the pretty face". This is what I was try to explain in my previous post.

Btw, the roku is my primary client. It gets the hdmi cable to the living room TV. So I understand how great the app is in its present condition. It is reliable, stable, and I love it. At the same time, it would be nice to have some of that love android and apple are getting from developers. That developer love is coming. I am not an emby developer. I am just a solitary person with time to offer making the emby roku app better.

@@dcook as a person who enjoys music would it be cool to browse your library and play background music while you are doing so? There is a "stop music" option you change to "no" in the blueneon app that allows this. You can also search by song, album, genre, artist, studio, etc. The search in the blueneon app is ridiculously robust. Even the web client lacks a search screen this amazing. You are missing out on things using only the official roku app.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...