how to turn off transcoding and force direct play ?

dirkdigs

You probably need to run that problem file through MKClean.

https://www.matroska.org/downloads/mkclean.html

HandBrake is well known for going off the map when building headers for streams. The Roku wants the header in compliance. HandBrake is not in compliance. HandBrake can/will/does mess up the header enough that it is hard for the Roku to ingest it.

Here is a better explanation:

https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues/1396

The moral of the story:
Who put MP4 into MKV? If that MP4 was an MP4 extension we would not be having this conversation. This thread would not exist. Once packaged as MP4 the attributes match compliance with the MP4 container. The Roku decoder isn't the latest. You are using the latest and greatest handbrake version. It will use the latest encoder techniques which the Roku unfortunately is years behind.

Edited by speechles

oneduality

I provided metadata to one that isn't working.. I'm not going to go through all 90 files in this library and the many dozens of others in other libraries

I honestly am just frustrated.. the basic lesson here is others can play it, Emby cannot..  leave it unresolved I suppose, like so many other emby issues .. I have work to do, I was on vacation time but my job as a full time developer is now beckoning and I can't debug again until the weekend.

pwhodges

You haven't yet provided the log which would tell what the server thinks is going on; without that any diagnosis is basically speculation.  As an experienced programmer and admin you will know the importance of using as much information as possible to get the best diagnosis.

Paul

oneduality

Of course I know the usefulness of that but I'm at my office now and can't.. I am still at a loss that people have been reporting this since 2017 and not seen any resolution beyond "change your quality settings" to force transcoding .. and of course the same rant I make.. no other server has this issue .. I came here as a last resort because I rarely find resolution.

pwhodges

You have no way of knowing that other people's problems with similar symptoms are in fact down to the same cause; for many people altering the quality does resolve their issue.  Concentrate here on helping to find a fix for your problem, and then others can see if that helps them.

Sometimes problems which remain unresolved are in that state because the evidence simply hasn't been provided.

Paul

oneduality

Okay :).. I'll be using something else to play these files.. too much headache to deal with.. here.. let's just consider this unresolved like those other mysterious different situations.

Been talking to the community/devs of Jellyfin.. getting me much further in much less time on so many of the other issues anyway.. it's frustrating to hit the same dead ends here repeatedly.. and you see it throughout on so many topics.. just done with it.. I'll keep my license until one feature they are working on is  there that I do enjoy.. 

pwhodges

There is no dead end here - you are demanding a miracle while not providing sufficient information.  And you wonder why there are other unresolved issues!  Providing logs is no headache to a Linux admin, surely?

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

You are free to choose your own media. We offer that ability. While doing so there are of course going to be issues with how a person has encoded their media. The way the metadata and fields within the header are built are also open to consideration. We offer the ability to play that media. Granted not everything is going to be a smooth ride. This is because of the ability to "play anything" becomes possible that anything will happen. 

Issues happen all the time. Usually caused by changes to Roku firmware. In this case the encoding is probably at fault. There is something non-standard about it that certain players (Roku, others possibly?) have playing it. We aren't as different from the other guys in terms of what we can play. Roku offers a single player. What it plays isn't different between us and the other guys or anyone else. What it plays is what it plays. You cannot alter much about the video player, or as Roku calls it the "Video Node" when it plays objects.

We do not know why it is transcoding. Have you enabled stats for nerds inside the Roku app? It will give a clear indication why it is transcoding. Fix that and it will direct play. Is that all this is?

To enable stats for nerds "which only we have" press DOWN while video plays. Find the Cog/Gear and click it. On that menu of choices will be Stats for Nerds. Click it to change its status. Once enabled it will show the status of the playback. If this is not direct playing it will issue updates to the progress every 10 seconds.

Please let us know what the transcoding reason is that shows on stats for nerds of the Roku app. Thanks.

You need to create a new thread. This thread has too much noise from 4 years ago no longer relevant in any way. We do not like to mix our alcohol. We do not like to mix threads like this.

Please help us help you. This is all we are trying to do. We like you. We are friends. This isn't where we pick on users for not knowing how things work. This is where we help them.

We cannot give you the right answers without all the information. We just need a little more information and a clean thread to populate with help for you. In this thread there is far too much noise. Can you please make a new thread for any issue regarding this playback. Thanks. ^_^

1 hour ago, oneduality said:

I have work to do, I was on vacation time but my job as a full time developer is now beckoning and I can't debug again until the weekend.

We are on the same mindset then. When you have time to help us debug this issue we can again start to track it down. We need users to help us when we cannot reproduce these problems on our own. It isn't that we are lazy, incompetent, stupid, mean, abusive, terrible, ridiculous, underhanded people. It is the scope of this project will of course lead to problems when you attempt to play "your media your way". We apologize for the issues you and your users suffer. We are always trying to track down users who can help us defeat these lingering issues. But those users quickly lose faith in us, they lose hope too soon. They start to get mean with us and other users start in. Then it goes down in flames and we have to back away from the thread. We need to be nicer to each other. This is a small world after all.

Please make a new thread and link to this thread. But make a new thread to discuss further. This thread is poison and will only lead to bad. We want good. Thanks again.

Edited by speechles

12 hours ago, oneduality said:

I provided metadata to one that isn't working.. I'm not going to go through all 90 files in this library and the many dozens of others in other libraries

I honestly am just frustrated.. the basic lesson here is others can play it, Emby cannot..  leave it unresolved I suppose, like so many other emby issues .. I have work to do, I was on vacation time but my job as a full time developer is now beckoning and I can't debug again until the weekend.

You provided metadata for one file only but didn't tell us what's wrong with it.  Does it play but not advance to the next file correctly?  Does it not play, does it play but stutters or freezes.  You left us hanging not knowing what your problem actually is.  How can we help without knowing what the actual issue expressed in a sentence or two?

Can you tell us what's happens when you play that file you provided metadata for?

Edited by cayars

• 1 month later...

Delete Me! Why is there no option to delete my own post? Add one. I shouldnt have to ask a mod to delete a comment.

Edited by Guest

Hi there, we have user permissions that you can utilize to disable transcoding if you wish. But emby apps out of the box will already direct play whenever possible.