how to turn off transcoding and force direct play ?

dirkdigs

dirkdigs

Using panasonic viera default profile . 

can somebody post a screen shot of the setting? i am not finding anything.

JeremyFr79

There is no way to do this.  Emby is setup so it will only transcode when it needs to.  If it's transcoding that indicates your TV doesn't have or is improperly reporting it doesn't have the capability to direct play the file.

Happy2Play

Can you provide the media info of something you think should direct play?

Happy2Play

When something is playing you can look at "Active Devices" in the Dashboard or check you log folder for transcode logs.

553993a6a2a55_activedevice.jpg

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\logs

dirkdigs
Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1920x800
Aspect ratio2.40:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate25
Bitrate10101 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames5
CABACYes
Audio
Languageeng
CodecDCA
ProfileDTS
Layout5.1
Bitrate1500 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Containermkv

dirkdigs

yea if i change the container to mkv the movie starts and then stops right away.

Here is the transcoding details:

5539a9838e003_20150423_212406.jpg

well no, you can't transcode to mkv. you should leave the transcoding profiles alone and look at the direct play profiles

have you compared that value against he bitrates of the content you're attempting to play?

dirkdigs

ok that's interesting. i raised it from 8 to 21 and it now plays with the correct aspect ratio (which it wasn't doing previous)

but now it says audio format not supported.

dirkdigs

And I have a Viera GT50 just for the record. 

so is there any way for me to have the correct aspect ratio when transcoding?

Happy2Play

Looks like your model doesn't support DTS.  Try to remove dca from the profile.  This should only transcode the audio.

See page 89

• 1 year later...
christian875

bumping this as everyone seems to have the same problems with recent update which causes everything to be transcoded.  any chance you can implement a "force direct play" option soon similar to plex?

• Thanks 1

Deathsquirrel

bumping this as everyone seems to have the same problems with recent update which causes everything to be transcoded.  any chance you can implement a "force direct play" option soon similar to plex?

Check your user account settings in the dashboard.  There are options to disable the ability to transcode video and audio.  I found out when reading the first, (incredibly predictable), thread I've seen about media not playing as a result.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

christian875

Check your user account settings in the dashboard.  There are options to disable the ability to transcode video and audio.  I found out when reading the first, (incredibly predictable), thread I've seen about media not playing as a result.

sorry but where is that at? I've been through all settings through server and app side and there are no options to disable transcoding at all.

Happy2Play

sorry but where is that at? I've been through all settings through server and app side and there are no options to disable transcoding at all.

Go to Dashboard-Users-Select a user-Media playback options

christian875

Go to Dashboard-Users-Select a user-Media playback options

ok thanks but that didn't really solved the problem; now just won't play files if not transcoded.  anyway, it's all the x265 10bit movies that are not playing direct.  hope there's a solution soon!