Emby Server on QNap

breezytm

QnapEmby

After some quick testing, I have the following things to report....

I added 719 Movies (my digital movie collection)

PS3 will play videos fine, however the system does not fast forward or rewind (option not given - greyed out), and there was no cover art showing for the movies,

Kodi was more accepting of an installation process, installation was smooth and easy.  That said, after the initial processing...the movies are not showing up in Kodi ( All I am getting is a "please wait" message with a flower icon rotating through the petals )

Windows Media Player provided the best response, it found the Emby Server, listed the movies, and allowed for fast forward and rewind ( albeit slowly ), and showed cover art.

-- is this the kind of testing you were hoping for?

QnapEmby

Yes I'm glad to hear that, thank you. Kodi does a one-time library sync the first time you open it and then it should be fine. The ps3 artwork I'm sure can be fixed.

QnapEmby

Yes I'm glad to hear that, thank you. Kodi does a one-time library sync the first time you open it and then it should be fine. The ps3 artwork I'm sure can be fixed.

After a quick reboot of Kodi the videos are now showing with artwork...worth the side note :) Kodi needs to reboot after initial scan.

Edited by QnapEmby

QnapEmby

So, I spent a few hours messing around with the interface and learning about the software I tried a few tv shows (Firefly - 1080p ACC 5.1) the QNAP CPU running at (65% tops). Playback is studdering on PS3. PS3 is connected via hardwired gigabit lan. I also tried tv shows that are 480p in resolution, with 2.0 stereo ACC sound. These played fine. 720p movies with ACC 2.0 sound played fine as well.

Not sure what the issue here is. Suggestions?

breezytm

So, I spent a few hours messing around with the interface and learning about the software I tried a few tv shows (Firefly - 1080p ACC 5.1) the QNAP CPU running at (65% tops). Playback is studdering on PS3. PS3 is connected via hardwired gigabit lan. I also tried tv shows that are 480p in resolution, with 2.0 stereo ACC sound. These played fine. 720p movies with ACC 2.0 sound played fine as well.

Not sure what the issue here is. Suggestions?

Was the file being transcoded?

QnapEmby

Yes - it was a high end transcode - 1080p AAC 5.1 - in addition it was encoded with h264 4.2

QnapEmby

Sidenote : I need to put the file transcoding down to 480p in order to play properly.

breezytm

I don't think i ever tried emby with a ps3 but I do own one. I will give it a try tonight. 

I have 2 Emby setup. One of my qnap and one on my NUC. I'll report back. 

• Like 1

QnapEmby

I don't think i ever tried emby with a ps3 but I do own one. I will give it a try tonight.

I have 2 Emby setup. One of my qnap and one on my NUC. I'll report back.

Thanks, in order to replicate the problem - do you have any h.264 encodes with 4.2 level encoding?

I would like to point out something - during my testing - I also compared performance with Plex (also on QNAP HS-251). Plex transcoding does the same thing. So, I believe it is the preformance of the renderer (PS3). I have a Roku 2 - wireless - this unit plays the files I mentioned earlier correctly, without issues (running on plex)

Edited by QnapEmby

breezytm

I highly doubt it. All my files are in compatible formats and profile. 

My files are mp4s with aac 2.0 stereo default and ac3 5.1; 4.1 profile h.264 

QnapEmby

Any chance of creating a sample file of said encoding parameters? I just want to see if it is just my server.

breezytm

I also received the same behavior. I the QNap resources were pretty high. 

@@Luke Does anyone from your team own a QNap? Emby performance on there is pretty poor. From browsing through the web client to scanning library. I also have Plex running on the same QNap and it does everything Emby does in 90% less time. I also have three other applications running on there using mono and they are running fine. 

Just thought i'll share. 

Catchwa

I'm running this on my QNAP TS-251 and everything seems to be working except for metadata. I'm migrating an existing setup (Sonarr + Couchpotato feeding into Emby) that was working on Windows onto the NAS and have mirrored the settings but can't quite work out what's going wrong.

Episodes 2 to 9 below were added after I migrated Emby to the NAS. The season number and episode numbers are getting populated but no metadata (even after a refresh). If I manually populate the IMDB and TVDB IDs into the individual episode I still get messages like:

App: TvdbEpisodeProvider returned no metadata for /share/Multimedia/TV/Inside Amy Schumer/Season 1/Inside Amy Schumer - S01E09 - Terrible People.mkv

I have attached DEBUG logs.

EDIT: Sure enough, just after I posted this, I ran a refresh on the Show (not the individual Episode) and it worked. Not sure what the difference was, but I'll keep an eye on it.

55bd58324686e_InsideAmySchumer.png

server-63574099420.zip

Edited by Catchwa

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...