OpenELEC Kodi Emby Lockup (0.0.29) On Raspberry Pi 1 (Model B)

finite8

finite8

Getting a Complete Lockup in Kodi.

Setup:

- HTPC running EMBY Server with ServerWMC

- Raspberry Pi 1 (Model B) running OpenELEC 5.0.8

Installed Addins (other than defaults)

- Emby Repository

- Emby Addin (installed from repository)

- PVR Client for ServerWMC

Failed Resolution Attempts

- Complete Rebuild of SD Card

- Cleared Database in Kodi

- Installed Heatsinks on Raspberry Pi + Fan cooled.

Steps to reproduce

- Power up Pi

- Kodi Starts

- PVR Client successfully syncs channels and EPG data.

- Emby starts syncing. Progresses at a good pace, processing titles faster than i can count per second.

- Screen eventually dims, continues syncing.

- Eventually slows down as it appears to start processing a large batch of movie titles. Progresses about 1 title every 5 - 10 minutes.

- about 1 hr in, complete system lockup. UI unresponsive, unable to SSH, no longer responds to pings.

Full Log (21,075Kb):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36477635/kodi%2020150451%2022%2045.log

I also have the logs from a previous attempt. Interestingly, this one caused a reboot of Kodi only (not a full OS reboot), but they both seem to have failed at the same point, trying to process 407 Movie Titles in one hit. Pushing the memory limits trying to deserialize that much JSON data in one hit?

Previous attempt logs (caused a kodi reboot) (21,105Kb):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36477635/kodi%2020150421%2020%2047.log

Edit: This issue continues to persist in 0.0.30

Edited by finite8

finite8

My model A completely freezes when playing with Emby so I guess you need rpi2

The model A only has 256Mb RAM so it has a fair bit less to work with. I got it working fine playing 1080p content prior to dying syncing Emby. I even got it playing Live TV as well (although a bit slow, but that may have been due to the WiFi at the time). The TV it's plugged in to isn't full HD so it has a slightly easier job.

finite8

I think part of the solution may be in here:

https://changelog.com/ijson-parse-streams-of-json-in-python/

This would allow you to read each JSON object one at a time, rather deserialize the entire JSON response in one hit. Sounds like this would save you from both having to store in memory the entire response in a character array as well as avoid having to store in memory the entire deserialized JSON data as well. 

I haven't touched python before (primarily a c# dev) but if i find time over the next few days, i will jump in and see if i can refactor it and see if that improves it.

• 5 months later...
reggierat

Did you ever have any luck with this? I think I am having the same issue. Pi managed to eventually finish its sync but nothing plays. I can start items using remote control but sending something using remote app adds item to playlist and then never starts playing. Later I seem to lose network connectivity.

reggierat

Please find log attached, i have trimmed it down to what i think is relevant as the full log was 80MB.

Just to elaborate further, i am running openelec 5.08 with a patch to support the Wolfson DAC. Previously this was running flawlessly using a shared mysql library.

Emby config is working wonderfully on the main htpc in the lounge room so happy my path substitution is all ok.  This unit will run headless to deliver music to the bedroom. I appreciate your time

Might be unrelated but worth mentioning now that i think about it.  I initially had trouble installed the Repository, i had it saved on a network share and after installing it would be empty.  Moving the zip to one of the PI's on folders fixed the issue

log - edited.txt

Edited by reggierat

reggierat

Forcing a refresh did not help either. Installing it from local storage did though.

Will try the github version when I get home in a few hours.

Angelblue05

Yeah, that's the correct link. Hm that's odd that it turned up empty and even refresh had no effect. Oh well, at least you manage to solve the issue. :)

Angelblue05

Looks like your starting Kodi when the network is not ready yet. 

Is there an option somewhere in Kodi that allows you to delay Kodi boot until network is ready? Something similar to that?

Angelblue05

Sorry that I can't be more help, it seems something is wrong, however I'm not sure what. 

That's what your log basically contains, not sure what this means... I don't own a PI, maybe someone else will help out:

13:24:40 T:2980050000   ERROR: CecLogMessage - could not open a connection (try 5)
13:24:41 T:2980050000   ERROR: CecLogMessage - RegisterLogicalAddress - vc_cec_set_logical_address(E) returned invalid arg (8)

It got the proper path from the add-on for playback and then nothing, like you said. You could try to use local path instead of plugin path to see if you get a better experience (add-on settings > sync option) Then reset and let your content resync.

Edited by Angelblue05

reggierat

Just thinking about the next move and how to best move forward with this.

next i will disable CEC in addons (not even sure why it is on given this usually runs headless and just uses the analog audio out)

create a new Emby user with limited data, access to 1-2 music folders only to reduce resync time until it is tested and working

use local path and resync all data (i may have this on already but i don't think i did a full resync)

fresh install of Openelec 5.08

perhaps install latest beta 5.95.x 

any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated

reggierat

Well that was easy!

Happy to report that

Direct Stream Music Library - Off

Use local paths instead of add-on redirect - On

Has fixed my playback issues

Appreciate everyone's time who looked at this

• Like 1

reggierat

Probably would have worked this out sooner but I didn't realise a reset and resync was required when turning on Use local paths

Angelblue05
You could try to use local path instead of plugin path to see if you get a better experience (add-on settings > sync option) Then reset and let your content resync.

;) Glad you worked it out.

reggierat

so yesterday afternoon i had enough time to sit down and look at this again.  i created a new user with access to 2 albums so i could re-sync the database quickly in between changing settings.  results as follows

Direct stream yes
Use local no
10s start, fast track switching, responsive 12secs

Direct stream no
Use local no
10s start, fast track switching, 15s album change

Direct stream no
Use local yes
10s start, fast track switching, 17s

Direct stream yes
Use local use yes
10s start, fast track switching, 17s

So it looks like it was totally my fault all along :)  I think without realising i needed to resync the database anytime i changed a setting i had changed something without a resync and therefore broken it myself.

Noob mistake :) sorry if i wasted anyone's time 

• Like 1