Android Client n00b question

IvoryJazzMan
Go to solution Solved by Redshirt,

IvoryJazzMan

I've successfully installed the mb3 server, classic (xbox360) and roku versions, but am stuck trying to get the Android client (beta 14, or RC2.1) to log in. I keep getting "Could not connect to library." I've typed in the name of the pc, and the router IP address, and port 8096 seems to be open, and there seem to be rules for the mb3 server in the firewall. Have I missed something obvious? Perhaps a detailed set-up tutorial would help? Do changes to the firewall rules need to be made? Why doesn't the android client "see" the LAN automatically, especially since the phone is already logged into wifi? Do I need to change a setting in server to look for the android client? Running mb3 server on Win7 Pro x64. Running mb3 android on Verizon Moto Droid Razr android 4.1.2.

• Solution
Redshirt

you can't use just the PC name with Android. It's a limitation of the OS. You can use a fully qualified domain name though.

If your connected to your network using wi-fi, don't use the routers IP unless your sure your router supports use of the external IP from the inernal lan. My router doesn't support this. So in my situation I have two server connections configured. One using the servers IP which I use from within my network, the other using a dydns address that I use when connected using cellular. 

• Like 1

irengineer

you can't use just the PC name with Android. It's a limitation of the OS. You can use a fully qualified domain name though.

If your connected to your network using wi-fi, don't use the routers IP unless your sure your router supports use of the external IP from the inernal lan. My router doesn't support this. So in my situation I have two server connections configured. One using the servers IP which I use from within my network, the other using a dydns address that I use when connected using cellular. 

Redshirt, can you please help me with this?  I have Dydns and it entered the computer IP from Dydns and it still won't connect.  I'm a noob in this area.  Thanks.

Edited by irengineer

Redshirt

Are you able to connect to the server from within your network using the servers address?

irengineer

Are you able to connect to the server from within your network using the servers address?

Yes, I can do everything from in network via wifi. Can't get in over data or offsite wifi.

Edit:not sure I understood your question right. I set up 2 connections like you did. My wifi connection works fine, but the connection using the dyndns doesn't. I think it's a setting issue.

Edited by irengineer

Redshirt

The most likely cause is that you haven't forwarded the server port(s) on your router. I can't give you specifics because each router has a different UI... You go into the port forward section of your router. it may also be labeled NAT. You'd then add an entry for each port that the server is listening on, just check the server web dashboard to see what port(s). 

Edit: Here's an example of my port forwarding configuration.

2013-11-20%206-22-04%20PM.jpg

Edited by Redshirt