Roku App Freezing on Movies

Novalak

dethknite

Do not worry about me though... I have some network testing to do.  My internal network is running jumbo frames 4000/4088 and I had hit a few snags with SSL.  Have been running it like this for over a year though.. but I am going to back it out and try a few things.

*Update* turning off jumbo frames on all devices between streaming seems to have resolved the issue I was seeing.  Never had it before though up until about a month ago... who knows.. I do not need the 20% boost I was getting transferring files to and from the NAS anyways...

Edited by dethknite

dethknite

Actually spoke too soon.  Roku was not working on movies last night.  FireStick worked flawlessly.  I decided to completely remove Emby from the Roku, and then added it back and set it up.  Funny thing is that the Movies never populated.  Default view is Suggested, and I am fairly confident it is still timing out.  This seems to be an Emby for Roku issue for me.

After sitting at this screen for about a minute, the movies finally populated, but trying to browse to one hung, and crashed out of the app.

55f2d8459ccd1_IMG_20150910_205835.jpg

Edited by dethknite

@@dethknite

Ive had this happen when the server is scanning the library. It also occurs for me when the server is downloading missing subtitles. The cpu of the PC running the server is maxing out. It could also be running a task that requires fetching data from the internet. If you are using up the bandwidth downloading things, while one of these tasks that needs bandwidth is running this will lag your server too. The larger your library is exacerbates this scenario. Next time you see this occur, see what tasks the server is busy with. Maybe the cpu is busy while ffmpeg is transcoding something very resource intensive, 1080p video with very high bitrates and AC3/DTS audio. It might also be since its a streaming stick over wifi, the signal isnt optimal and packets arent able to completely reach the roku. You will have to do detective work next time this occurs.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

dethknite

@@dethknite

Ive had this happen when the server is scanning the library. It also occurs for me when the server is downloading missing subtitles. The cpu of the PC running the server is maxing out. It could also be running a task that requires fetching data from the internet. If you are using up the bandwidth downloading things, while one of these tasks that needs bandwidth is running this will lag your server too. The larger your library is exacerbates this scenario. Next time you see this occur, see what tasks the server is busy with. Maybe the cpu is busy while ffmpeg is transcoding something very resource intensive, 1080p video with very high bitrates and AC3/DTS audio. It might also be since its a streaming stick over wifi, the signal isnt optimal and packets arent able to completely reach the roku. You will have to do detective work next time this occurs.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the notice.. this could be culprit as I have a larger collection, and typically I have family streaming media during this time.  I will check the server next time I see this occurring.

• 3 weeks later...

My roku locks up every time I look for a movie to watch.  I can still look around at other movies, the roku just stops responding to any buttons.  If I wait long enough(~5-10m) it will go to the movie and play without any issues.  I don't see any cpu spikes while the roku is being non-responsive.

• 1 month later...

@@mack, we dont experience the issue or would of course chime in with a remedy. We can only give suggestions without experience the issue, not solutions. So you will have to help by giving some kind of note of your server version, library size, logs from server to show what else was going on, etc.. In lack of such I can suggest you try the app below:

https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=EmbyBlueNeon

When using this app, does the problem still occur? If yes, the problem isnt your roku app. It is your server being slow. To diagnose a slow server is difficult. We need emby server version, emby server logs, etc.. to see why this is happening.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

• 2 weeks later...

I had an issue with the server yesterday and it wouldnt start. I tried to upgrade but itemid was null and wouldnt let me start

So i uninstalled emby completely and reinstalled

Everything is working perfectly now - this AND the other issue is resolved

This is a little odd that its server related considering it only happened on Roku app

Although i have had this issue for over 6 months, i am stoked its now working correctly

I have a friend who has the same issue, ill try the same on his now

Edited by Novalak

Since the latest update to both Emby Server and the Roku app, I too have had freezes in the Roku app and was once blown completely out of the Roku app and back to the Roku menu after clicking on an item listed in Genres. I was also completely kick out of the Roku app when selecting a channel to play in Live TV. I was trying to play the channel from the new guide feature. I am using a Roku 2 XD in case that information is relevant.

I'm having these same issues as of a couple of days ago. I've got a Roku 3, hard-wired. What gives?

• 1 year later...