Emby for Kodi access over internet

incadar
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

incadar

i am trying to connect kodi from a remote location over the internet to  a server.

i have tryed to set the kodi addon using the remote web address and port 

also set to HTTP  not SMB

is this possible do you think??

should i try port forwarding in routers each end?

any help greatly appreciated.

Angelblue05

You need to open the port of the router connected to the network where the Emby server is located. It's the only way Emby server can communicate with Kodi outside the network. In Kodi, simply make sure you are using the external address (the address you normally type in your browser to reach the webclient) and the appropriate port. Set to play from HTTP.

Try it out, report back if it doesn't work. Don't forget to post your log. If you need help, check my signature on How to report a problem. Thanks. :)

Edited by Angelblue05

incadar

hi 

thx for the quick reply.

ok did as you said and i seem to be connecting  

when kodi starts now it pops up a screen asking for PIN from emby

i try enter the pin i know twice and each time says wrong password.

then something strange happens, i have the server on team viewer and emby server logs out and rejects my password to get back into user interface.

on kodi it then pops up asking for password for my emby username.

it also rejects my usual password as wrong password.

i have tried this twice now with same result and also on HTTPS port also trying this.

kodi log  http://xbmclogs.com/pcsjb3od8

i have had issues with emby passwords a few weeks back and site admin fixed it.,

Angelblue05

No that won't be necessary. It's my fault, I spaced out and totally forgot easy pin is for in-network usage only, not for HTTP usage, haha :)

For now, if your full password is numeric-only, you can type it in the easy pin dialog. You can also disable easy pin for now too, to force regular password dialog to show up instead of easy pin. I will correct the issue as soon as I can, today. 

Edited by Angelblue05

• Solution
Angelblue05

Ok, I've pushed a fix for this and it's now available on Github until the new version is pushed to the Kodi Emby repo.

Basically, I had to replaced the numeric dialog with the regular alphanumeric one, but the easy pin feature will work if you are connected locally to the Emby server. If you are connecting to a remote server, enter your regular length password and it should work. Let me know if it works correctly and you are able to authenticate with the change.

Thanks! :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2

incadar

Hi

working now many  thanks, my up speed is in theory 10 meg but using setting 2 meg HD seems to be a good compromise between quality and zero buffering. 

• Like 1

dragon2611

If your Server is on a domestic broadband then you need to be aware of the upstream speed of that connection as in most cases they are not synchronous unless you are one of these lucky people who get ethernet or full fibre. 

If you are not transcoding a full HD stream can easily hit 10 - 30Mbit/s