Send Message To Logged In Users

Netbug

Netbug

Quick question: Is there a way to send a message to all users who are logged in/watching something?

Occasionally I need to reboot the Emby server machine and would like to send out a message to all logged in that it will be down for about 5 minutes.

I couldn't find any information on this with a quick forum search.

• Like 12

TolkienBard

AFAIK, this feature does not currently exist, though I too (and I suspect many others) would love such a feature.

• Like 1

It sure does, using remote control from the web client. You just can only send one at a time.

• Like 4

MSattler

This kinda goes along with my prior feature request of letting users know of upcoming maintenance.  I don't want to have to text my kids and family members who use the server, because I'm lazy.

I'd rather have the ability to force a popup which tells a user when there is an upcoming maintenance.

Thanks!

• Like 1

It sure does, using remote control from the web client. You just can only send one at a time.

Yeah, but it is pretty cumbersome to do so to more than one or two connected users.  It would be nice to have a "broadcast" ability that would send it to all connected users at once. 

• Like 8

daspannerman

I drive my wife crazy with unexpected restarts when she's laid back in bed watching something

• Like 1

TolkienBard

I must go look into this. I have a number of users that would appreciate a heads-up that a restart is coming.

• 1 year later...
horstepipe

Ok this thread is quite old but a broadcast feature would be really helpful and keep the users quiet :-)

@@Luke any chance to get this soon?

• 1 month later...
browned

How about a message that can be displayed at the top of the web pages so when users login they can see the message and acknowledge it. Then perhaps an options to display it on client machines, login pages before login, and if possible a message when people start a show from a client device?

• Like 1

KillermanGabe

How about a message that can be displayed at the top of the web pages so when users login they can see the message and acknowledge it. Then perhaps an options to display it on client machines, login pages before login, and if possible a message when people start a show from a client device?

+1 on this.

• 3 weeks later...
zigzagtshirt

+1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
legallink

+1! Whether implemented as a message in the system or a message that is sent to each user, I'm indifferent. Simply messaging to users would be great.

JeremyFr79

You could just use a web server on a separate machine/vm doing a redirect to emby and set it to display a message while you have your emby server down.

CarlosLima
Hello everyone. See so many wanting to send messages to all connected users and I still wanting to learn how to send a message to one user at a time.

How do I access this feature? I searched the wiki and did not find it. I even opened the remote but I did not understand how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 2 weeks later...
saajan4u

why is it you guys need to restart your server so frequently? i have 6 users on my server, never been any issues with this,

see my picture which shows my current uptime, and previous to that it was nearly 90days, can you not just restart the emby service instead?

.590b8a3606886_uptime.png

Jdiesel

I have zero issues updating or restarting my server without interrupting or causing errors with in progress playback. Maybe Emby just restarts very quick for me...

legallink

Some of us want to send messages to users, regardless of the purpose, and we'll support any request that comes close to filling that need! :)  

• Like 1

mediacowboy

I would like to be able to send a mass message to all clients if saw the weather is bad or something of that nature.

Also all the plus ones need to like the first post to really show support.

Edited by mediacowboy

• 1 month later...