Incorrect music metadata

MSL_DK

steve1977

we pull everything from tags except for the mbz id's

Sounds great. Out of curiosity. Why would you not pull the mbz ids from the tags? Would you not pull them at all or rely to another source to pull them?

steve1977

last fm but starting with the next build we'll just use what's in your id3 tags instead.

This is fantastic. What information will by default be pulled from ID3 tags? Just release date and year or also artist name, MBID or albumart?

steve1977

Thanks for your reply. Just tried and unfortunately, MP3tags are not being pulled yet. Neither the year nor the albumart. I am using version 3.0.5070.20258.

steve1977

I have tried running ffprobe, but failed with the command line. Will give it anther try over the weekend.

What is the issue with the music files that I have forwarded you? Does it not pull the tags at all? Or just not the year and the embedded art? Any indication or appears just some bug in ffprobe?

steve1977

Just spend some more time trying to extract year and albumart from my mp3 files with ffmpeg/ffprobe. The commandline item that worked to extract the embedded albumart from the mp3 was the following:

ffmpeg -i inputfile.mp3 folder.jpg

Any thoughts to include this in MBS?

steve1977

This is great to hear. Unfortunately, it does not work for some (all?) of my MP3s. When I manually tried as above, it does extract it. Can I send you a sample MP3 via email? Thanks in advance!!!

steve1977

Do you have folder images present in the album folder?

No, just the plain MP3. Nothing else! I have tested with 5 albums (all of them have perfects tags and embedded artwork). For two of the albums, no albumart is displayed in MBS and one of them no year. I cannot say for sure, but it could be that all info right now comes from last.fm and nothing from my tags?

RaxPower

Does MBS use the id3 tags over an album.xml file in the album folder?

I had an album where the genre was set to Dance, i edited the album in the metadata editor to add an extra genre and it was not being shown in the album info after refreshing.

Below is a snippet of album.xml

<LocalTitle>True</LocalTitle>
  <PremiereDate>2013-09-07</PremiereDate>
  <ProductionYear>2013</ProductionYear>
  <MusicbrainzId>26d64e29-553f-47b2-9cf5-4f8163485d5e</MusicbrainzId>
  <MusicBrainzReleaseGroupId>61180839-f4a7-407f-b86f-24c48eef4066</MusicBrainzReleaseGroupId>
  <Genres>
    <Genre>Country</Genre>
    <Genre>Dance</Genre>
    <Genre>Folktronica</Genre>
  </Genres>
  <Genre>Country|Dance|Folktronica</Genre>
  <Studios>
    <Studio>Island Records</Studio>
  </Studios>
</Item>

This is what is presented in MBS:

529a353a0eada_Albumexample.jpg

the tags in the flac files read as "Dance\\Country\\Folktronica" for the genre tags, which i know is an unsupported format at the moment. Just wondering where the server is reading the metadata from, if it isnt the local xml files in the folder.

Also say if i wanted to upload a different picture for a track in the album, if save local metadata is ticked, where would the image end up. Would a structure like album\metadata\trackname.jpg be supported?

EDIT: artwork present in the album folder is backdrop.jpg and folder.jpg

Edited by RaxPower

genres initially come from tags then go into album.xml, however, they can be re-pulled from tags when the songs in the folder change or if we update ffprobe. you can prevent this by locking the genre field on an album that you change manually. you're probably best off using a tag editor to change the tags in the files though.

song images - we don't have a location for those within media folders. they'll go into our internal data folder. a tag editor is probably a better tool for the job.

steve1977

You guys can tell that I am eager to get music metadata work for me. Attached is a log-file from a failed attempt to extract the artwork from the MP3. Any additional feedback welcome! Issue for me is both artwork extraction and reading out the "year tag":

https://www.paste.to/dZJQWTdm

Thanks in advance!

steve1977

I know I may be annoying pushing this thread up again. But wanted to update that this is still not solved with the new server release. Would be great to see a fix for reading art and other metadata from tags. Thanks!

if you want help you need concrete examples of what you feel isn't working. screenshots, diagrams, flow charts, roadmaps, powerpoint presentations, etc

• Like 1

steve1977

The part that is not working is that it does not read the "albumart" from the MP3tag. The screenshot would just show that there is no albumart within MBS. I have shared a log and can redo the log file with the latest server update. Also, I have shared via email an example of an MP3 file that has embedded albumart, but the albumart does not end up in MBS. Also, I have tried ffmpeg directly via commandline (posted comment in this thread) and it does scrape the albumart, so it should not be an ffmpeg issue and also not an issue of wrongly embedded art. I can provide screenshots, but they will be rather "empty".

If you prefer, I can also provide log from the "year" that is not being scraped from the MP3 tag (and neither from last.fm). My guess is that the two issues are related though.

Let me know what else I can do and happy to provide.

steve1977

Below an example of an album that shows a release date, but does not show a release year.

52a29108299ba_AbbaArrivalwithreleasedate

And below an example of an identified album, but does not show albumart (although embedded in the MP3 tag)

52a2919550268_AbbaKaraokewithyear.jpg

52a291bd5c7c3_AbbaKaraokewithoutalbumart

And below the log from scraping the Abba/Karaoke album. Thanks for any thoughts / bugfix!

https://www.paste.to/ulwRsG7d

Edited by steve1977