ServerWMC Eating Disk Space

Erasmus354

@@chilloutboy, you are right.  Thanks for that (funny that it wasn't caught before).  FYI, it is possible to close the stream from the live-tv section of emby.

@@Luke, like he said - and I just confirmed - emby also doesn't close the stream if you close the browser window while the live stream is running.

Perhaps not immediately but it should I think within 60 seconds. I will retest, but in the latest version of the server I added that background timer in the event a client stops pinging

krustyreturns

@@Luke, you are right.  I just retested and it does seem to close eventually (this is emby version 3.0.5602.23575).  I guess I wasn't waiting long enough.  @@chilloutboy what version of emby are you running?  If its the same, can you provide more detail about how to trigger the non-closing stream?

chilloutboy

Just had another look.

If i press the stop button within the browser client window from within playing the channel ( when the channel is playing) it closes the stream.  However, quite often, after pressing stop i try to play the same channel again,  i get the play window with all the options to pause etc but i dont get any video.  when it is in this state, i am unable to stop the streaming on serverWMC, whatever i do from the client. Even closing the client does not stop it.  I then again opened the client and could play the channel again, i checked and it used the same tuner in ServerWMC, but again by stopping playback in the client , the tuner continued to stream.

The only way to stop the tuner stream is to either reset the tuner in the ServerWMC client or from within the Emby dashboard.  i am using server Version 3.0.5597.1

krustyreturns

Do you have different steps then your post above to make the problem happen? If so, please list them.  I tried it and I couldn't get the bug with the version of emby I am running.   Its either because it is fixed in this emby or (like you say above) the problem doesn't always occur. 

He posted about live tv in the windows phone area, perhaps it's with that app.

chilloutboy

This issue is not related to the Windows phone.  I will post that issue in the WP forum.

I can reproduce the tuner not shutting off very simply in the web client (using Firefox)

1. Select play within a tv channel, the first time I do this it plays correctly
  2. Stop play using the stop button
  3. I check the tuner status and it has closed correctly
  4. Press play again in the web client on the same channel
  5. This enters the play screen with all the options to pause etc, however there is no video.  If i press stop and play again I am unable to get the video to display at all
  6. I check the tuner and it is streaming
  7. Stop play using the stop button and the screen returns back to the tv channel screen
  8. I check the tuner status and the tuner is still streaming.  The only way to stop the tuner is to reset the tuner using the dashboard.
  9. Quite often, even after resetting the tuner, i cannot play that same tv channel again

I have noticed that each time (when in this blank video state) i press stop and play it creates another .ts file in the C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\TempSWMC folder. however the .wtv file stays and continues to increase in size as it is streams.

These tests were done using server Version 3.0.5607.0

I hope this helps you?

I can also reproduce this issue, using Emby Theatre.  If i press play in a TV channel i get "There was an error processing your request" but the tuner still starts streaming.

I have attached the Theatre log

theater-63566754340.txt

Edited by chilloutboy

• 3 months later...
Hflashman

Hi @@krustyreturns,

I have a clean install of Windows and the latest version.  I am now getting this error again where it seems to be eating up disk space with Live TV files continuously growing beyond the time clients have stopped watching Live TV.

Clients accessing have been a mix of Fire Stick and browser.

Here's the latest logs.  The specific Live TV start was on 8/24 and continued growing larger until this morning when I saw I had hundreds of gigs used up.  I could not delete the files without stopping the ServerWMC process and rebooting.

Hope this helps you find whats up here.   I do have the http service/URL option selected as advised in the sticky.

ServerWMC.log

ServerWMC_20150824.log

Edited by Hflashman

krustyreturns

@@Hflashman  

I went through the log and I can see where 4 of the emby streams you started, emby did not issue a close command.  I also can't see any errors.  I tried to reproduce this problem on my setup and couldn't.  It looks like you tried to open the same channel a bunch of times in a row, is that because the stream was failing to start?  Maybe if you can provide more detail about what you were doing.

To help guard against this go to the live-tv tab in serverwmc and set a max time for live streams to run (the default of 0 means no limit).

Hflashman

Thanks @@krustyreturns

What I had was several remote family members watching the same Premiership match (Arsenal v Liverpool) and trying to find the best quality experience (Fire Stick first, then went to the browser).   Between them, they could have started the same thing several times. 

So this sounds like an issue with Emby Windows Server @@Luke?

@@krustyreturns, if I set the limit, will the files created get deleted by ServerWMC in due course?

Thanks.

krustyreturns

I release a new version of the plugin this morning .62, maybe it will make a difference.  It specifically tells emby streams required a close.