ServerWMC Eating Disk Space

Erasmus354

Erasmus354

So ServerWMC lately has been nuking my hard drive. It is filling up an infinite amount of space with 4 files in the RecordedTV\TempSWMC folder.

How do I stop this?

EDIT: Some additional information. It appears that Emby is not closing the streams. Is there some way to limit the amount of space that ServerWMC can use on these temp files?

Edited by Erasmus354

krustyreturns

If emby doesn't close the stream - and since you aren't running in dlna mode - there will be a problem with disk space.  Serverwmc should detect the about-to-be-full disk and shut down the stream and delete temporary files, I am not clear why this didn't work, so I will revisit the code with your log.  

Looking though your log though, swmc is getting close stream commands from emby so I am not sure what happened, and there are so many stream starts and stops there its hard to match them.  Can you reproduce this problem of the stream not closing down? If so, please make  a clean log (restart swmc) and produce the problem.

Swmc currently does not have a disk space limit setting, however you can achieve something similar by going to the 'live tv' settings tab and setting the max run time of a live stream to something reasonable.  Its default is zero, which means unlimited.

Edited by krustyreturns

pr3dict

I have the same issue... One of the streams is stuck open. I looked today, I have one stream that is 1 Terabyte. That's A LOT of rewind time lol.

I actually just stopped it by telling it to release the tuner or whatever that button does lol and it moved the stream to the "savefordebug" folder

Edited by pr3dict

krustyreturns

I can't reproduce it.  If any of you guys can figure out how to trigger it please let me know.  I guess I will need to look into setting a disk limit in the interim.

Erasmus354

I had tried the live tv limit and that didn't seem to work for me (I set it to 5 hours and it still filled up 1.5TB). I will try to spend some time investigating this and getting steps to reproduce it for you and some logs this weekend. I had a very busy weekend.

I am using a Roku to get live tv on my television, so it could be an interaction with the Roku. Anyways, I will do some troubleshooting this weekend to see if I can narrow down the issue. In the meantime, restarting Emby seems to fix the problem. When I restarted Emby I saw the tuners go idle in the ServerWMC interface. So I have setup my Emby server with autorestarts for the time being.

Edited by Erasmus354

krustyreturns

Thanks for  trying.  I will be great to get more data on this.  Sorry for the hassle.

Thanks for  trying.  I will be great to get more data on this.  Sorry for the hassle.

It's ok, it should be resolved using the combination of the latest server and Roku app.

You'll want to grab the Roku beta as it has fixes for live tv:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/8001-emby-for-roku-channel/

An update has been submitted to the public channel but will take time to go through Roku's approval process.

• Like 1

Hflashman

I can't reproduce it.  If any of you guys can figure out how to trigger it please let me know.  I guess I will need to look into setting a disk limit in the interim.

I've tried to reproduce it myself since but no luck.   Here's another log from today.  Looks like its deleting fine.   Maybe its triggered if there are multiple attempts to connect (I often get errors on loading the Guide or when trying to start "Play")?

ServerWMC_Log.txt

krustyreturns

The guide problem (?) wouldn't make this happen, but possible getting the 'Play' error might.  Post the log after one of those errors.

Hflashman

The guide problem (?) wouldn't make this happen, but possible getting the 'Play' error might.  Post the log after one of those errors.

Will do, but was it fixed in the latest server version today?  I see a fix "Live TV streams not being properly closed".

Hflashman

Yes.  See Luke's post in this thread.

Ah...thought he was talking about Roku as he mentioned a combination of things.   Thanks for all your help and the great software!

krustyreturns

@@Hflashman  I went through the log of the 26th carefully and I found the stream that was opened successfully by emby, but emby never closed it.  So the tuner was never released and the stream files not cleaned up.  @@Luke it seems like it is still possible for emby to fail to close a stream that it opened.

Much later swmc detects that the stream should be shut down because it has run so long, but the deleting of the file and the release of the tuner failed.  I need to figure out why that failed.

krustyreturns

@@Luke,

I am not sure if this is how @@Hflashman triggered the problem, but I found that if you start a live stream for a channel and - while you are waiting for the video to start - you hit play again in the same client, two streams are started by emby even though only one will play.  So then later when the user closes the video, emby only closes one of the streams, there is no way to make it close the second one.  This was done using the web client in chrome and not using dlna mode.

Hflashman

@@Luke,

I am not sure if this is how @@Hflashman triggered the problem, but I found that if you start a live stream for a channel and - while you are waiting for the video to start - you hit play again in the same client, two streams are started by emby even though only one will play.  So then later when the user closes the video, emby only closes one of the streams, there is no way to make it close the second one.  This was done using the web client in chrome and not using dlna mode.

That sounds like it. This was via the web client in IE from remote. I'm guessing my family were thinking they had to hit play and did so again due to an apparent delay.

Here's another possibility... what if you had two people watching the same show at the same time via the client i.e. two instances. It could have been under the same account. You'd think this shouldn't cause the issue though as it should be two tuners being used. Thought of this as the issues arose when different family members were watching the Premiership remote (which didn't work well.... I'm guessing its my 4 year old box (i7, 8 gigs of Ram, HP 350t)) but its fine for local MCE on multiple Xbox extenders and HD playback on Plex remotely.

Edited by Hflashman

chilloutboy

I am using Emby on a Windows 8 PC for live tv , this pc has a 500gb HDD. 

I have noticed that all of the disk space gets eaten up with a massive file "LiveTV_MediaBrowser^PRE^0_DVB-T_1_2015_04_28_17_47_18.wtv"  in the C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\TempSWMC folder.  This file is file is 345 GB !!!!!

There is also a "LiveTV_MediaBrowser^PRE^0_DVB-T_1_2015_04_28_17_47_18.ts" file which is 72Gb.

These files afre killing my PC.

Can anyone help me to prevent these getting so big?

chilloutboy

I have the same issue

I am using Emby on a Windows 8 PC for live tv using ServerSMC , this pc has a 500gb HDD. 

All of the disk space gets eaten up with a massive file "LiveTV_MediaBrowser^PRE^0_DVB-T_1_2015_04_28_17_47_18.wtv"  in the C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\TempSWMC folder.  This file is file is 345 GB !!!!!

There is also a "LiveTV_MediaBrowser^PRE^0_DVB-T_1_2015_04_28_17_47_18.ts" file which is 72Gb.

These files are killing my PC.

I have the latest server Version 3.0.5597.1

I am sure i can reproduce this if you need any log files, let me know

krustyreturns

@@chilloutboy

I can reproduce the problem too (see my post above).  But if that is not how you trigger the bug, please tell me your steps to reproduce the problem.

I will make sure the play button can only be clicked once based on krusty's report.

chilloutboy

An update..

I just started viewing a channel from the web client.  I then stopped it with the cross (top right)  i then left it for a couple of hours and one of my 4 tuners was still streaming and i had a 9 Gb file there.

I have attched the ServerWMC log.

I hope this helps

If you would like me to try anything specific or give you any more details, please let me know.

ServerWMC.log

krustyreturns

@@chilloutboy, you are right.  Thanks for that (funny that it wasn't caught before).  FYI, it is possible to close the stream from the live-tv section of emby.

@@Luke, like he said - and I just confirmed - emby also doesn't close the stream if you close the browser window while the live stream is running.