Emby for WMC not showing correct genres

ItsTheDutchGuy

ItsTheDutchGuy

Running into an interesting problem: I want to change the images used for genres (using stills from movies that I actually own, instead of the generic art [because Eddie Murphy and a bad Dr. Seuss movie, ugh, but I digress]...

I updated the images in the AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\metadata\Genre folders, copied the images (just to be sure) to the AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\Genre folders (even going as far as adding a copy of "poster.jpg" and naming it "folder.jpg"), but to no avail.

The Web Client displays the added/changed images as expected, but the Classic interface in WMC stubbornly refuses to display the new images. I updated the Metadata through the web client, restarted the server (several times), re-scanned the library (several times), updated the library from within the WMC Classic interface... but I'm still not seeing the right images in WMC (see screenshot below, WMC/Classic in front of the web client view).

The Mediabrowser-Classic folder contains no data, except for two config files in the Configurations subfolder. I could not find any other location to place the files.

Using Emby Classic version 3.0.258.0 and Emby Server version 3.0.5572.0, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 Media Center.

So, what's the trick to get this to work in Emby Classic?

552bfd355e155_Image1.png

(And just to head off the obvious question: WMC/Emby Classic shows the exact same thing on the actual TV screen as it does in the RDP view, natch.)

Not sure why it isn't updating automatically but try deleting the image cache on the EMC (MBC) machine.  c:\programdata\mediabrowser-classic\imagecache

ItsTheDutchGuy

Thanks for the suggestion... I actually just did that... and even deleted the localcache.db and display.db files in the Cache folder there... then I went into the web client, and set a lock on the (correct, as in: the ones I made) images in the metadata editor...

... restarted WMC and Emby Classic... and within seconds, the original images came right back.

It must be getting those images from somewhere. 0_o

[... time passes... ]

This gives me a clue (I hope). Be right back.

[EDIT:]

Closed Classic and server. Deleted cache (and db files) on both, in all the places mentioned above. Restarted Classic and Server. And still the original images keep coming back.

So where are those originals stored?

Edited by ItsTheDutchGuy

ItsTheDutchGuy

UPDATE:

So I got part of it figured out. the MB Classic interface requests it images by means of HTTP requests to the MB Server. The internal CGI translates the request, and retrieves the images from what appears to be a fixed location: a folder inside AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\metadata\library. Figured this out when I ran a "duplicate image finder" app to see where the originals were hidden.

I removed the library contents, and now (duh!) I see no images, just empty folder icons... at least in MB Classic Looking at the MBClassic_log I can figure out the HTTP request for one of the images, and when opening the URL directly in the browser, this is what I get:

Error Code WandException

UnableToOpenBlob `C:\Users\[uSER]\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\metadata\library\b8\b831c0be12a7d7967e77c019c5e86ca8\primary_key_4df4c0e1191b7974e74d208d5d8d67f5.png': No such file or directory @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2675

Stack Trace

[GetItemImage: 4/13/2015 7:20:48 PM]: [REQUEST: {Id:b831c0be12a7d7967e77c019c5e86ca8,MaxWidth:350,Quality:90,Tag:ec07e8881de6af8893d9acfffc82f961,EnableImageEnhancers:True,AddPlayedIndicator:False,Type:Primary}] ImageMagickSharp.WandException: UnableToOpenBlob `C:\Users\[uSER]\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\metadata\library\b8\b831c0be12a7d7967e77c019c5e86ca8\primary_key_4df4c0e1191b7974e74d208d5d8d67f5.png': No such file or directory @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2675 at ImageMagickSharp.WandCore`1.CheckErrorBool(Int32 status) at ImageMagickSharp.MagickWand.OpenImage(String path) at ImageMagickSharp.MagickWand..ctor(String path) at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Drawing.ImageProcessor.<ProcessImage>d__7.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task) at MediaBrowser.Api.Images.ImageService.<GetImageResult>d__f.MoveNext()

It would appear that something goes wrong during the communication between Classic and Server - after all, the Web client (runningon a different PC on a non-domain network) still shows the correct images (the ones I made as well as the originals I haven't replaced yet), but MB Classic just doesn't seem to get the images from the Server (and they're installed on the same system) - there seems to be a reference in one of the databases that insists on pointing towards the Metadata\Library folder instead of the Metadata\Genres folder.

And yes, I did restart the Server, and even did a manual library refresh in there through the web client (as well as a library refresh in MB Classic followed by a restart of the application) - the above error was retrieved after all the restarts and refreshers.

Could this just my install being messed up, or is this something not quite right in the current versions of both/either Classic and Server?

Can you please paste in the http request for one of these images being made by MBC?

ItsTheDutchGuy

Sure thing:

http://192.168.2.101:8096/mediabrowser/Items/b831c0be12a7d7967e77c019c5e86ca8/Images/Primary?maxWidth=350&Quality=90&tag=ec07e8881de6af8893d9acfffc82f961

And if you paste that into a web browser, you get the old image?

Try pasting it into a browser and deleting everything after 'Quality=90'.

ItsTheDutchGuy

Now, that is interesting.

It actually shows the new image now - before, it showed the error page I copy/pasted the info from above.Gonna have to wait a little bit - the missus is watching a show at the moment, but as soon as that's done (half an hour or so from [reply timestamp ;)]) I'll check MB Classic again to see if things are all showing correctly now... because that would mean that it just takes (quite) a while to sync the server's metadata.

So... back in a few with an update.

(And thanks for the assistance so far)

ItsTheDutchGuy

And indeed, after several hours, the images (both the ones I created myself and the copies of the originals I placed in the Metadata\Genres and IBN folders) have been loaded into MB Classic.

So all it took was to wipe the contents of AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\metadata\library, and a fair bit of time.

Funny thing is, checking the log files I see that the image information was only retrieved just now after Netflix was closed and control was handed back to MB Classic... after Classic had been running all day without generating any log entries.