Netflix / Prime Integration

mini__me

MBSki
28 minutes ago, roaku said:

Please stop replying to me about this.

As I already said, this is a public forum. If you don't want people to respond, then leave the forum.

roaku

I highly recommend TV Show & Movie Tracker for anyone looking to manage their Trakt viewing activity on Android.

barat

IMO Plex is doing something great ... almost :) It proves, that one can start playing on external service just from other app.

What I would love to see is, that I can add a STUB file which will actually open AppleTV, Google etc and play the movie. This way I can store my DVDs/BluRays locally, but have 4K/HDR/DV versions as purchased copies on those services. I accept to manually create STUB files (just as i "make a safety copy" of my discs). I want to keep Emby as a place where my "purchased" movies reside. Just like "personal Movies Anywhere" (which is not available in my country).

For streaming aggregation maybe I'll start to use Plex - who knows, but for "my own media" I want to continue with Emby.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

MBSki
1 hour ago, barat said:

IMO Plex is doing something great ... almost :) It proves, that one can start playing on external service just from other app.

What I would love to see is, that I can add a STUB file which will actually open AppleTV, Google etc and play the movie. This way I can store my DVDs/BluRays locally, but have 4K/HDR/DV versions as purchased copies on those services. I accept to manually create STUB files (just as i "make a safety copy" of my discs). I want to keep Emby as a place where my "purchased" movies reside. Just like "personal Movies Anywhere" (which is not available in my country).

For streaming aggregation maybe I'll start to use Plex - who knows, but for "my own media" I want to continue with Emby.

Agree. Plex has acknowledged that not every platform supports deeplinking. Xbox and Roku are the 2 I know of and it seems that Plex is trying to get that changed. Whether they'll be successful or not remains to be seen. 

@ebr If deeplinking IS supported on some platforms, would it be possible to test what @baratmentioned above? Linking to the actual service app using a STUB file? 

rbjtech
15 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

@ebr If deeplinking IS supported on some platforms, would it be possible to test what @baratmentioned above? Linking to the actual service app using a STUB file? 

Not gonna happen without an Authenticated API... with all the commission/commercial/data collection trimmings - nobody is gonna provide that for free. 

barat
47 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Not gonna happen without an Authenticated API... with all the commission/commercial/data collection trimmings - nobody is gonna provide that for free. 

It could be achieved in other way like stub which activates Siri/Google assistant command (Play X on Y), or for example for Itunes you can create any link which - if clicked - will open a player with a movie: https://linkmaker.itunes.apple.com/en-us/language

For example this will play Dune on any device which has AppleTV installed :) https://tv.apple.com/movie/dune/umc.cmc.2l7qj9p33t3jww1roxi8cgiw5?itsct=tv_box_link&itscg=30200

• Like 2

MBSki
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Any idea if JustWatch requires payment for using their API? I wonder if that would be an option.

MBSki
16 minutes ago, Tremas said:

FWIW, it sounds like Plex is having some problems with their new "discovery" feature implementation..

Yes of course they are. I think that's pretty standard when they release a new feature. 😅

• Haha 1

sydlexius
1 minute ago, crusher11 said:

Why do people still pretend Plex and Emby are the same type of product?

Probably because their features and audience have more in common, and don't diverge in enough ways to get people to think they are categorically different.

• Like 1

BillOatman
12 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Why do people still pretend Plex and Emby are the same type of product?

I would ask what makes you think they are not the same type of product?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillOatman said:

Plex is more similar than you might initially think to a Netflix/Hulu service than to Emby.  Let me share what I'd consider the fundamental difference between the two as clear as possible:

One is ultimately controlled by the admin of the system who makes every choice as to what content will or will not be available to his "clients" and their apps. Absolutely no content is made available in any form that he/she didn't intentionally setup or configure.

The other is controlled by Big Brother who allows you the option to add to their service your own content and make it available to other clients of theirs you know. You have some control over the content you provide to their service but ultimately your content may not be shown to others the same way you see it.

• Like 2

crusher11
12 hours ago, BillOatman said:

Plex is a streaming service and ad delivery mechanism that happens to allow you to also store your media on it.

Emby is a home media server.

BillOatman
11 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Plex is a streaming service and ad delivery mechanism that happens to allow you to also store your media on it.

Emby is a home media server.

I see where you are coming from now, thanks.

• 6 months later...
xnappo

Old topic, but I really think Emby should add this as an option.  It is a major pain point for people right now tracking between different services and this will bring users.  

I actually wrote a hack to do this using a combination of Sonarr and Emby - but it is NVidia Shield and Kodi dependent, and as I said - a hack :)

https://github.com/xnappo/VirtualEpisodes

I wrote this well before Plex had a similar solution.  Been using it for two years and it is a family pleaser.

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
jaycedk

I would hope this will be an opt. in, if it ever happens.

I left Plex fore this reason years ago.

As it was forced on my users of my server.

Plex always wanted to be the man in the middle, hence i turned to Emby.

My server, my media and my users.

Not Big Brothers.

Emby would never force you to use something like this as we do not and never will force content on you or your system.

Matter of fact I'd think it would need to be turned on and/or the admin would need to supply the data.  Something like this could be used so many different ways (ie show everything, only movies, only shows, only media you don't have, only select shows, only movies showing the first 15 days, etc) that the only way it would fit is by having the admin control the content which of course could be NO CONTENT. :)

I'm sure it would be controllable on a user-by-user basis as well to make sure children couldn't access content somehow as a "backdoor".

Carlo

• Agree 1