Netflix / Prime Integration

mini__me

mini__me

Hey there,

Not sure how much demand there would be for this but something I noticed scrolling through Netflix last night was how many of the videos I have in my library are now on Netflix / Prime...it made me think as I now access Emby through devices that have access to Netflix / Prime I should be able to remove the movies physically from the server and instead link through from my Emby library on certain devices.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but for me it makes sense to only hold the movies that I need to on physical disc taking up space and for the others to link through to the appropriate store if I have a subscription.  Meaning I have one central Emby repo for all my links, whether that link is to a local share hosting the media locally or to an online repository such as Netflix / Prime.

Clearly this is a little niche but is probably where we are all going at somepoint in the future...

There would be a lot to work out in the logic of it I'm guessing and is probably based mainly on the client side with an "emtpy" move / tv holder being placed on the server to be ignored by clients that are told they don't have access to the streaming service.

Thoughts appreciated on whether this is a stupid idea or one that makes sense?

I know I can setup watchlist and in turn I can and do use the PlayOn Channel which gives me the option to view those streams, but it would be slick if they were natively in my library as is now :)

Cheers

mini

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Chris Jones

I doubt Netflix would allow (fast enough) access to do this? Also what happens when Netflix takes down one of the videos that's been deleted from your server? Wouldn't it be better to use netflix as a sort of cloud sync-esque server, so if the video exists on netflix then stream through that instead of your own server (if you are outside of your LAN of course). Probably not possible though.

mini__me

As I say thoughts appreciated on whether it's a good / bad idea :)

I suppose the argument is that should it be taken down in the future you just re-import the media to your physical library again....would need some kind of message to say "Movie - XXXXXXX has had Netflix / Prime link removed as it no longer exists. This will now be hidden from Client view as no media exists for playback."

The bigger issue here is that Netflix is never going to allow us direct access to their content. 

• Like 2

mini__me

Ah, damn, I thought there would be a way to link through to a video file on netflix that when passed to an App as an argument would open the video :(

I know I block a lot of stuff but always assumed there must be adverts for Netflix that would be a clicky here to watch type thing.

Nevermind bin it off then :)

mini__me

I'm guessing what they hide is how to get the links to map to movies.  I was thinking it might be possible to hand off a link such as the below for Daredevil to an app and magic would occur.  It would be the mapping from Movie to Link that the server would somehow have to sort out....if I'm hearing and understanding correctly that is the problem. :(

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80018294

It is probably technically feasible to hack something but we will not do that as it would be illegal.  Sorry.

While the above is not being considered, are there any plans to be able to access Netflix and play in Emby. Similar to NetfliXBMC for Kodi?

Angelblue05

While the above is not being considered, are there any plans to be able to access Netflix and play in Emby. Similar to NetfliXBMC for Kodi?

At this point, I don't think there's a similar to, since the add-on has been broken for a while now. :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

The bigger issue here is that Netflix is never going to allow us direct access to their content. 

It is probably technically feasible to hack something but we will not do that as it would be illegal.  Sorry.

The other thing is if you look at that plugin, it needs to run on a computer. 

This Will Not work on anything else. So no it wont work on android, apple tv, roku, amazon stick, raspberry pi. It will not work, and most likely will never work.

• 3 months later...
jeflatt

I too have been hoping for an app for Netflix and/or Prime. I use WMC and Emby classic right now on my HTPC because I can access all my content with one program then. So that I can use my remote control to navigate instead of having to lug a keyboard and mouse around the living room all the time. With Microsoft cutting their support for WMC I'm realizing that I need to find some alternative. My wife is not technically savvy, and she'll never watch anything again if getting to a show is going to involve navigating multiple websites. I love Emby, but without Netflix, Prime, and MCE remote support I have to use my HTPC as a PC, not a HT where I can just sit back and watch.

Deathsquirrel

I too have been hoping for an app for Netflix and/or Prime. I use WMC and Emby classic right now on my HTPC because I can access all my content with one program then. So that I can use my remote control to navigate instead of having to lug a keyboard and mouse around the living room all the time. With Microsoft cutting their support for WMC I'm realizing that I need to find some alternative. My wife is not technically savvy, and she'll never watch anything again if getting to a show is going to involve navigating multiple websites. I love Emby, but without Netflix, Prime, and MCE remote support I have to use my HTPC as a PC, not a HT where I can just sit back and watch.

There's nothing stopping you from continuing to use wmc.  Alternatively you could get an android tv type device or an xbox one for playback...but netflix in Emby will almost certainly never happen.  Netflix isn't going to allow it.

im85288

Most of this can be achieved with Kodi. It has a native Amazon prime addon, Netflix is slightly hacky in that it launches a web browser for playback but works seamlessly. You can for example find a TV show you like and add the info via Emby to Kodi (so it appears like local data).

Deathsquirrel

Most of this can be achieved with Kodi. It has a native Amazon prime addon, Netflix is slightly hacky in that it launches a web browser for playback but works seamlessly. You can for example find a TV show you like and add the info via Emby to Kodi (so it appears like local data).

It's doable though how your non-tech wife will react to working with KODI will likely be the important question.  I dislike kodi but the wife loathed it.

• Agree 1

Vidman

It's doable though how your non-tech wife will react to working with KODI will likely be the important question. I dislike kodi but the wife loathed it.

I still don't understand this sentiment, with a little bit of tinkering on the initial set up, you make make kodi look and behave pretty much however you want

Deathsquirrel

I still don't understand this sentiment, with a little bit of tinkering on the initial set up, you make make kodi look and behave pretty much however you want

I've never seen a kodi skin that fixed the basic user experience flaws that make me dislike the app.  Perhaps they're out there.  My incentive to check is limited given the availability of emby on so many platforms I don't dislike using.

The poster said they had a nontechnical wife who wouldn't enjoy something hard to use.  KODI may not be a good fit there.  They should definitely play with it before introducing it to that audience as the new media solution for the living room.  It was not well-received in my living room, that's for sure.

Vidman

I've never seen a kodi skin that fixed the basic user experience flaws that make me dislike the app. Perhaps they're out there. My incentive to check is limited given the availability of emby on so many platforms I don't dislike using.

The poster said they had a nontechnical wife who wouldn't enjoy something hard to use. KODI may not be a good fit there. They should definitely play with it before introducing it to that audience as the new media solution for the living room. It was not well-received in my living room, that's for sure.

Care to explain what you consider user experience flaws?

• 5 years later...
MBSki

Plex appears to be making things interesting. It's an unofficial report so far, but seems legit. Just waiting on the announcement from Plex to confirm, but that could be awhile. If this is true, could give an opening for Emby to negotiate although it appears some "fundraising" would be needed. 

Plex's latest funding will boost its own streaming catalog while supporting others | Engadget

roaku
9 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Plex appears to be making things interesting. It's an unofficial report so far, but seems legit. Just waiting on the announcement from Plex to confirm, but that could be awhile. If this is true, could give an opening for Emby to negotiate although it appears some "fundraising" would be needed. 

Plex's latest funding will boost its own streaming catalog while supporting others | Engadget

To be clear, this article doesn't say any particular integration with any particular service is happening with Plex.

Edited by roaku