Netflix / Prime Integration

mini__me

MBSki
36 minutes ago, sydlexius said:

What is terrible is that Plex doesn't give you a way to disable results for services you don't currently subscribe to.  OTOH, deep linking to third-party content would be nice to have (aside from .STRM files).

Agreed, I'd like to be able to disable certain services.

sydlexius
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yeah, honestly, this just looks like another implementation of global search that already exists in most devices at their core (Google, Amazon, Apple) - of course, its good for the other guys because they are really trying to become a content aggregator instead of a personal media system and now they can push you towards their partners (just like Google, Apple, et al.)

So, from their business perspective, I completely understand but I'm not sure what it gives you, the user, over what you already have in Google Assistant etc. already.

The specific problem with Google TV/Android TV 11 is you have to adopt that horrible new launcher to get the full benefit.  If I lacked the technical acumen to swap launchers, I'd (hypothetically) consider auto-launching into Plex if it could act as a single pane of glass (that I could configure).  I do agree that at this point, it's hard to understand their strategy compared to the mainstream platforms that already offer these capabilities.  Perhaps they are still developing more capabilities that will tie into this strategy/feature (maybe launching their own HW or partnering with device manufacturers?).

MBSki
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yeah, honestly, this just looks like another implementation of global search that already exists in most devices at their core (Google, Amazon, Apple) - of course, its good for the other guys because they are really trying to become a content aggregator instead of a personal media system and now they can push you towards their partners (just like Google, Apple, et al.)

So, from their business perspective, I completely understand but I'm not sure what it gives you, the user, over what you already have in Google Assistant etc. already.

Global search isn't the big draw with this feature, it's the ability to search globally (including within Plex libraries) and add to a WATCHLIST. Your watchlist can effectively be a library with content from ALL services. It's essentially what we're suggesting within this request. A single platform to combine all of our content whether it's on our servers or on a streaming service.

Does that make sense? The global search aspect of it isn't all that compelling. It's the watchlist of streaming services combined with personal libraries.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

Global search isn't the big draw with this feature, it's the ability to search globally (including within Plex libraries) and add to a WATCHLIST. Your watchlist can effectively be a library with content from ALL services. It's essentially what we're suggesting within this request. A single platform to combine all of our content whether it's on our servers or on a streaming service.

Does that make sense? The global search aspect of it isn't all that compelling. It's the watchlist of streaming services combined with personal libraries.  

Okay, well, there is (at least one) different request for a watchlist but this request is about aggregating content from outside of Emby. 

MBSki
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, well, there is (at least one) different request for a watchlist but this request is about aggregating content from outside of Emby. 

Right, exactly. The watchlist for Emby content has already been requested. Plex has added both the watchlist and the ability to tag content from ANY streaming service. BUT, they created a completely separate section to do this. That part I don't really like. 

As @cayars mentioned though, they're just using justwatch. Is it possible for Emby to do the same or does justwatch require a subscription?

pünktchen
2 hours ago, sydlexius said:

The biggest problem with Plex's new Universal Search is that they're pushing services that you may not even have a subscription to.  For the PPV/purchased content media, this might not be so terrible.  What is terrible is that Plex doesn't give you a way to disable results for services you don't currently subscribe to.

Are you sure about this? Because this screenshot tells an other story: https://www.plex.tv/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/select-your-services-v2.jpg

• Thanks 1

MBSki
3 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

Are you sure about this? Because this screenshot tells an other story: https://www.plex.tv/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/select-your-services-v2.jpg

You cant HIDE services that you don't subscribe to. It is beta, so that could change, but at the moment you can only favorite the services you prefer. The others still show up.

6 hours ago, mbarylski said:

Right, exactly. The watchlist for Emby content has already been requested. Plex has added both the watchlist and the ability to tag content from ANY streaming service. BUT, they created a completely separate section to do this. That part I don't really like. 

As @cayars mentioned though, they're just using justwatch. Is it possible for Emby to do the same or does justwatch require a subscription?

4 hours ago, pünktchen said:

I didn't mean they were using the Just watch service.  I meant they built a "Just Watch" type service in Plex with the idea a monetization in mind.

vdatanet

I would settle for a watchlist (private for each user) anchored on the home screen as if it were a library. 

image.thumb.png.d90d4f2241967b81434d1193f8b5fc48.png

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 2

rbjtech
10 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

I would settle for a watchlist (private for each user) anchored on the home screen as if it were a library. 

image.thumb.png.d90d4f2241967b81434d1193f8b5fc48.png

This is doable now - it's no different to the 'Recommendations/Top Picks/Spotlight' idea that I had and partially implemented - just waiting for @chef to make it a proper plugin as currently it's an external script.

You would add any item to your 'Watchlist' via the existing 'Playlist' functionality - then it appears in your virtual 'Watchlist' library.

Edited by rbjtech

MBSki
37 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

This is doable now - it's no different to the 'Recommendations/Top Picks/Spotlight' idea that I had and partially implemented - just waiting for @chef to make it a proper plugin as currently it's an external script.

You would add any item to your 'Watchlist' via the existing 'Playlist' functionality - then it appears in your virtual 'Watchlist' library.

Is this reaching out to different streaming services?

rbjtech
Just now, mbarylski said:

Is this reaching out to different streaming services?

No but I was assuming from @vdatanet post he was referring to an internal emby watch list ?

MBSki
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

No but I was assuming from @vdatanet post he was referring to an internal emby watch list ?

Ok, thanks. For the watchlist FR I'd agree, but for this FR it doesn't go far enough. Maybe it could be expanded though to use justwatch api to connect to the streaming services.

piercedtiger

I would love something that tracks in-progress shows across platforms. After a long day when the wife and I just want to sit down and relax I end up flipping through Disney, Amazon, Netflix, Emby, Pluto, and Hulu trying to remember 1) what show we left off on last night -and- 2) which service it was on! I'm starting to download items I have available on one of the other platforms just so it's available in Emby and I only have to check there. It's getting to the point where we need a different streaming service for every.single.TV.show we want to watch, which is SOOOOO annoying! We haven't even put Peacock in the rotation or any of the other Roku apps. I work IT support too, so at the end of the day the last thing I want to do is troubleshoot my TV or do more IT magic to make it work.

• Agree 1

GrimReaper
On 4/5/2022 at 4:41 PM, mbarylski said:

Is it possible for Emby to do the same or does justwatch require a subscription?

JW appears to be paid/closed API, but TMDB can be queried for availability/providers, as long as JW is credited as source. 

https://developers.themoviedb.org/3/movies/get-movie-watch-providers

https://developers.themoviedb.org/3/tv/get-tv-watch-providers

Edited by GrimReaper
Rephrased

roaku
11 hours ago, piercedtiger said:

I would love something that tracks in-progress shows across platforms. After a long day when the wife and I just want to sit down and relax I end up flipping through Disney, Amazon, Netflix, Emby, Pluto, and Hulu trying to remember 1) what show we left off on last night -and- 2) which service it was on!

Trakt solves this problem pretty well.

MBSki
1 hour ago, roaku said:

Trakt solves this problem pretty well.

Is there a way to get it to sync with the streaming platforms? I'm not aware of a way to do that.

roaku
32 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Is there a way to get it to sync with the streaming platforms? I'm not aware of a way to do that.

I'm just saying that Trakt itself is a good way to keep track of what you were last watching and where.

Edited by roaku

MBSki
14 minutes ago, roaku said:

I'm just saying that Trakt itself is a good way to keep track of what you were last watching and where.

Hmmm, I'm not sure how it helps track where you're watching a show. Plex's new discover feature is the only thing that comes close (besides justwatch), but it still needs work.

roaku
42 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Hmmm, I'm not sure how it helps track where you're watching a show. Plex's new discover feature is the only thing that comes close (besides justwatch), but it still needs work.

Trakt has a 'watch now' section on each show that lists the services where that show is available.

MBSki
9 minutes ago, roaku said:

Trakt has a 'watch now' section on each show that lists the services where that show is available.

But it has no knowledge of what services the user subscribes to or where you watched the show last. In a nutshell, it still isn't convenient.

roaku
1 hour ago, mbarylski said:

But it has no knowledge of what services the user subscribes to or where you watched the show last. In a nutshell, it still isn't convenient.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything or solve the thread. I was replying to someone else with a suggestion that might improve their specific situation.

• Confused 1

MBSki
33 minutes ago, roaku said:

I'm not trying to convince you of anything or solve the thread. I was replying to someone else with a suggestion that might improve their specific situation.

The last time I checked this was a public forum open to the opinions of everyone. Do you have a problem with that? I'm responding because I think I understand where the poster is coming from. And I'm telling you that your solution isn't very convenient. Especially when trying to view shows on an Android TV device. There is no official trakt.tv app on Android TV devices. Are you incapable of accepting that there are different opinions?

roaku
30 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

The last time I checked this was a public forum open to the opinions of everyone. Do you have a problem with that? I'm responding because I think I understand where the poster is coming from. And I'm telling you that your solution isn't very convenient. Especially when trying to view shows on an Android TV device. There is no official trakt.tv app on Android TV devices. Are you incapable of accepting that there are different opinions?

Please stop replying to me about this.