Limiting content visibility in "Smartshare"

Marc_G
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Marc_G

Hi folks,

Please let me know if this should be in a specific server folder or other place... mods feel free to move this thread!

I just got a new LG 42LF5800 TV for the family room (which will be a secondary EMBY viewing location, not the main one). It replaced an old CRT TV that just had a DVD player.

My intention was to set up the Xbox 360 we recently got for the kids to view specific EMBY folders with age-appropriate content, as a WMC extender.

Much to my surprise and delight, The TV sees EMBY as a source all on its own, without me doing anything special to get it to do so. EMBY shows up in the TV's list of inputs as a "smartshare" device. So I probably don't have to fuss with the Xbox setup. The only problem is that the EMBY server is sharing this way all of the content, including content not suitable for my little kids.

How can I limit what content the EMBY server is sharing this way? My content is organized in folders (Movies, TV Series, etc.) but I could easily segregate the kids' stuff to a "Kids" folder, and just share that via the Smartshare thing.

But it's not clear to me how to make the server only share that folder, without messing up what it serves to MB Classic or other devices.

Thanks!

Marc

• Solution
Happy2Play

Do you already have a kids account with content access and parental controls set?

Do you have more than one LG TV using DLNA?  If so you will need to work on multiple LG DLNA profiles.

But if you go to the Dashboard-DLNA-Profiles-Select LG Smart TV

Customize the Profile Name

Then use the dropdown in User Library and select kids account

Click save, then click Profiles again

You will see your custom profile listed now.

This will use the kids user access on this device.

This assumes the TV is already seeing the LG Smart TV DLNA profile.  You can check the server logs for that.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 2

Marc_G

@@Happy2Play

Thanks so much! I think I understand what I have to do now. 

I haven't yet set up a kids' account, since so far the only place to watch EMBY has been the main media room, which always involves a parent.

I will create a kids account and define a set of storage locations associated with it, then assign that profile to the LG Smart TV profile. It's the only LG TV in the house, so I don't have to make a different LG profile just for the kids, but I'll keep it in mind for the future in case this changes.

Wow. This is very impressive. I'm loving EMBY!

Marc

• Like 1

the LG profile relates to the device, so you would never create a separate profile per user.

since there's no way to present a login screen with Dlna, what you're actually doing is configuring the server to assign a user library to a Dlna Device.

Enjoy.

• Like 2

Marc_G

OK, this makes a lot of sense. This solves my "problem" (ignorance) brilliantly, and tells me what I need to know. Thanks guys.