Live TV

chilloutboy

chilloutboy

Sorry about the negative title to this, I love Emby and the Movie, TV show and Music support is amazing and really appreciate all of the efforts everone has put into this, but the Live TV experience is disappointing to say the least...

Server (version 3.0.5572.0, I use Emby running as a service)
I have spent a lot of money setting up an Emby server (Windows 8.1) and have a decent (TBS 6502 quad TV tuner) and had my TV signal checked.  I am using serverwmc which is all set up and working.  The issues are all around playback of Live TV and recordings.

First of all I love the interface of MBC and have got it on my main TV using a Windows7 PC.  Movies, TV shows and music is really good, But there is no option to support Live TV.  This is a major omission and would really appreciate if Live TV could be supported.

MBT(version 3.0.5571.41151)
So with no support on MBC, I tried MBT, all is good EXCEPT Live TV.  As soon as I select the Live TV tab, I get an error "There was an error prcessing the request"
See attached MBT log
On the occations I managed to get the Live TV screen to display, the interface is dissapointing with 2 blank buttons, one for channels and one for recordings. There is NO TV guide, so choosing what to watch is impossible. Once in channels, the default view is a series of blank buttons with the name of each channel.  I spent a couple of hours going through the channels and adding logos to each one.  If i then want to browse through the channels some will play and most won't, I get the same error "There was an error prcessing the request"  The signal is fine for all channels as I can flick through on 2 separate TV's that use the same aeriel cable.

Windows phone app (version 8.0.66.1)
Again all is well with the exception of live TV.  As soon as I try to play anything, either Live TV or recordings, I just get a blank screen.  I am also unable to get anything at all to display when I select channels.

Web Client (using FireFox)
This is much better... the layout is good, I get a TV guide and can play most of the channels, most of the time, with just an occaisional hiccup where I have to press play a couple of times for it to to play the channel, it either jumps back of displays a blank screen. Dropping the quality helps with most issues. I do get some channels that when play is pressed I get an error "Exception of type 'MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.LiveTvConflictException' was thrown."

Sorry to moan but Live TV is letting the whole Emby experience down.

theater-63564433953.txt

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Id say this is mostly to do with the unnecessary forced transcoding of live TV, it's not really been explained why this has been done

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
hoopes4908

I can't find how to even get live tv working after install of plugins it just says:

Services

Next Pvr

Unknowncheckmarkgreen.png Up to date!

Status: Unavailable (Unable to connect to the remote server)

ServerWMC

Status: Unavailable (No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it [::1]:9080)

I can't find how to even get live tv working after install of plugins it just says:

Services

Next Pvr

Status: Unavailable (Unable to connect to the remote server)

ServerWMC

Status: Unavailable (No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it [::1]:9080)

The Live TV plugins depend on external software which need to be setup prior and functioning to installing the plugin. The ServerWMC plugin depends on a program called ServerWMC, and the NextPvr plugin depends on NextPvr. Do you have either of those?

We are working on our own EmbyTV plugin that doesn't depend on anything and will be pretty much plug and play. it's currently available to play with although its' not fully mature yet.

hoopes4908

The Live TV plugins depend on external software which need to be setup prior and functioning to installing the plugin. The ServerWMC plugin depends on a program called ServerWMC, and the NextPvr plugin depends on NextPvr. Do you have either of those?

We are working on our own EmbyTV plugin that doesn't depend on anything and will be pretty much plug and play. it's currently available to play with although its' not fully mature yet.

I have no idea what "external"  software means?  Like on my PC or what?  

I have no idea what "external"  software means?  Like on my PC or what?  

Yes. Here is info on ServerWMC:

https://0df317251eddfb99d4fce96eecb40d46cfc8ba25.googledrive.com/host/0ByNnAMYBoWvfTk8tRWJXYko1T2c/index.html

and NextPVR:

http://www.nextpvr.com/

What our plugins do is talk to those applications to import Live TV into Emby. That's why we are working on EmbyTV in order to simplify it.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Firstly, thank you to the developers of Emby.  I originally used WMC on Win7 for years, then tried Media Browser for a while before switching to Media Portal for the past couple of years.  I began hearing a lot about Emby, and I felt like a change (as well as better functionality on my Android phone) so I made the switch to Emby.

I love the interface and regardless of what some people say, I found the installation and set-up quite easy.

After a couple of weeks of using Emby, I cannot stand the Live TV aspect.  I really miss the time-shifting of Media Portal.  I would often pause a live TV program then walk away and come back later and un-pause or skip ahead in the program.  I cannot do that now.

What I am wondering is, what are other people using for Live TV?  Do you use Emby as a Media Center and then Media Portal as your Live TV/PVR?

Any help on this would be great.  Thanks

@@tmoyn

I've tried pretty much all available live-tv/pvr software over the past 15 years or so, there's allways something that makes me look for a better solution, allways something missing.

For some time now I've used tvheadend unstable branch, and it's the most stable backend I've used since the mythtv backend I used 10+ years ago. I was using Mediaportal for a long time and it was the only thing I found that could rival mythtv for Live-tv waf. But Mediaportal allways had stability issues, both frontend and backend. So when XBMC got Live-tv support in it's alpha versions I switched to xbmc and have been testing every xbmc compatible tv-server since. Again as with going from Myth to Mediaportal, going from Mediaportal to XBMC was a big step back in terms of live-tv, even with version 15 of kodi (xbmc) it's not feature complete compared to MP as of 5 years ago. In comes Mediabrowser3 teasing Live-TV 1.5 years ago ? so I instantly jumped on it, but as I've come to learn here it's all about the tease and then the long wait. MB3/Emby is a great server/web solution but when it comes to clients it's lacking/unstable. I'm keeping an eye on MP2 development from time to time, but tbh I fear by the time we get great clients live-tv is dead and replaced by streaming services.

Livingroom tv:

Tvheadend +Emby -> Kodi (tvheadend and the excellent emby for kodi plugin)

Cinemaroom:

Tvheadend + Emby -> Kodi (tvheadend and the excellent emby for kodi plugin)

On the fly:

Emby -> Windowsphone (live-tv pretty much not working, said to be working on "internal" builds for quite some time, but no new release)

Emby -> Android tablet, pretty much web site in a wrapper, I've given up on it. Considering a Sufrace tablet to get full windows.

wally007

if anyone tells you that kodi or emby can be used in the livingroom for LiveTv they are either living by themselves or have incredibly patient family. Both emby and kodi are 10 years behind the basic setup boxes and cant be compared to mythTV, WMC. Other stuff like library etc is nice but family friendly LiveTv is 5 years out - going by the progress in last 2 years.

• Like 1

mellomade

if anyone tells you that kodi or emby can be used in the livingroom for LiveTv they are either living by themselves or have incredibly patient family. Both emby and kodi are 10 years behind the basic setup boxes and cant be compared to mythTV, WMC. Other stuff like library etc is nice but family friendly LiveTv is 5 years out - going by the progress in last 2 years.

As someone who has used WMC as my primary live TV conduit since 2005 - I would heavily disagree with this statement.  For the past 3 years I have been using exclusively Kodi clients (OpenELEC) with ServerWMC as my backend with great results.  In fact I would go so far as to say that unless you are using WMC for protected cable content (I am not) - then I see NO difference vs WMC directly. 

In fact not having to run Windows on every client and mess with WMC has been the best part of this experience.  Not having to screw around with codec packs, switching between multiple instances of software - and the general updating/maintenance that comes with the Windows territory made the OpenELEC choice a real no brainer.

I am also using the newer HDHomeRun EXTEND devices that allow DLNA support - and when enabled in ServerWMC my channel change times are less than 1s.

So I would say that if you have big problems using Kodi/ServerWMC vs. using WMC directly - you are doing something wrong.  FWIW - I neither live alone nor have a patient family.....

Edited by mellomade

hoopes4908

I've never heard of mythtv or wmc

Deihmos

As someone who has used WMC as my primary live TV conduit since 2005 - I would heavily disagree with this statement.  For the past 3 years I have been using exclusively Kodi clients (OpenELEC) with ServerWMC as my backend with great results.  In fact I would go so far as to say that unless you are using WMC for protected cable content (I am not) - then I see NO difference vs WMC directly. 

In fact not having to run Windows on every client and mess with WMC has been the best part of this experience.  Not having to screw around with codec packs, switching between multiple instances of software - and the general updating/maintenance that comes with the Windows territory made the OpenELEC choice a real no brainer.

I am also using the newer HDHomeRun EXTEND devices that allow DLNA support - and when enabled in ServerWMC my channel change times are less than 1s.

So I would say that if you have big problems using Kodi/ServerWMC vs. using WMC directly - you are doing something wrong.  FWIW - I neither live alone nor have a patient family.....

With the DLNA you lose stuff like timeshifting. You cannot pause, rewind or ff live tv. 

mellomade

With the DLNA you lose stuff like timeshifting. You cannot pause, rewind or ff live tv. 

You do lose ff and rwd - but not the ability to pause live tv.  That works fine.

wally007

You do lose ff and rwd - but not the ability to pause live tv. That works fine.

So im doing something wrong ?

Like i said, even my DirectTV setup box from 8 years ago offered rock solid timeshifting.

If you are fine with DNLA - good for you. Im not and no amount of nice text lists with thumbs will take over grid view guide, recording conflict resolution, timeshiting, one central recording machine and backend recording that never misses a recording.

WMC and Xbox 360 extenders were released seems like a decade ago and to switch to any other system FOR LIVE TV that is not TIVO is a step back in one way or another.

Playback of local content was not part of the discussion so im not sure why you brought up codecs... but i digress...

mellomade

Both emby and kodi are 10 years behind the basic setup boxes and cant be compared to mythTV, WMC.

The point that I think you missed is that when you use Kodi as a front end client - you STILL can use WMC as the backend and retain the exact same features as WMC while enjoying playback in Kodi.  Don’t like DLNA?  Don’t use it!  If you don’t then you’ll still have all the time-shifting capabilities WMC had.  But you’ll have to wait an extra few seconds for the channel to change.  Does that make it unusable?

WMC and Xbox 360 extenders were released seems like a decade ago and to switch to any other system FOR LIVE TV that is not TIVO is a step back in one way or another.

Again - using Kodi and ServerWMC is not switching away from WMC.  You just use Kodi as the front end player.

And I wouldn’t say a step back - maybe a step away. <rant> Live TV as we know it is dying.  Depending on some programming company to decide when I should watch content is virtually over.  Sure my grandma will never part with her 25 year old TV with rabbit ears - so Live TV will still hang around for a while but Microsoft’s utter abandonment of WMC is proof positive that the world doesn’t want the hassle of running a Windows PC just to get live TV when they can simply get cable.  </rant>

So what incentive do open source software developers have to reinvent the wheel with Live TV software?  Not much - but there are diehards at Tvheadend/NextPVR/etc doing a great job at this for FREE - and they don’t have anywhere near the resources of these big companies to make this stuff work well for the masses.  So don't expect these free tools to work the same as tools that multi-billion dollar corporations have invested years doing.

Playback of local content was not part of the discussion so im not sure why you brought up codecs... but i digress...

It is actually because why else are we here?  For Live TV only?  Ha!  Live TV is simply a feature of Kodi or Emby - certainly not anywhere near its prime reason for being.

wally007

We are in a Live TV section of the forum discussing thread 'Disappointed in LIVE TV'.

Please ignore my posts in this thread, If you want to discuss anything other than Live Tv.

skris88

Hi

I agree with you, "chilloutboy". A media centre solution without Live TV support (unless you go through multiple hoops) is not a solution. And to say Microsoft dropping WMC with Win10 is proof of the fact it's not wanted, is a sad indictment of the failure of Emby.

WMC with a IR remote control and a DVB-T tuner takes literally minutes to setup. MP4 files on a NAS and both Live and recorded TV just works. Pause and continue Live TV? No issue.

Nice pictures off the DVD cover do not a media centre make.

The screen capture showing an EPG is simply False Advertising, and I fell for that.

Hopefully a proper add-in that allows full WMC Live TV features as a no brainer will be a worthwhile to whoever makes it, I'll pay a reasonable fee if I have to. Just so I can finally (since Win XP MCE) dump WMC as my single box HTPC. After all they are dumping it with Win10 so it serves them right if I switch now.

When Emby? When?