[Dev] EmbyTV a livetv client for Network Tuners (HDHomerun at the moment)

jose

I have been working on a way to have the server interact directly with my HDHomerun Prime without the need for aditional software.

At the moment the plugin is capable of livetv and single episode recording. It is also able to pull epg data from schedules direct.

It only works with HDHomerun devices, for recording it doesnt check if it had the necessary tuners to record at the time (plan to work on this) and only supports one device (working on multiple hosts). Also recordings will be made to C:\Temp unless changed directly on the configuration xml file. 

For bugs and problems please provide:

Logs of the server or at least the part where the error occurred.
Copy of configuration file (remove your password from it but make sure it has one)
What device are you using? Model?

Partial support for m3u playlists:

Should support the following formats rtsp, rtmp, http, file but only tested with http stream from a prime. 

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="1" tvg-name="ABC",Channel 1
http://192.168.1.238:5004/auto/v8
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="2" tvg-name="Channel_2",Channel 2
http://192.168.1.238:5004/auto/v9

Needs to be added manually to the config xml file, example a HDHomerun Prime and a m3u playlist.

<TunerHostsConfiguration>
    <TunerUserConfiguration>
      <ServerId>HDHR3-CC-XXXXXX</ServerId>
      <ServerType>HdHomerun</ServerType>
      <UserFields>
        <UserField>
          <Name>Url</Name>
          <Value>192.168.1.238</Value>
        </UserField>
        <UserField>
          <Name>OnlyFavorites</Name>
          <Value>true</Value>
        </UserField>
      </UserFields>
    </TunerUserConfiguration>
    <TunerUserConfiguration>
      <ServerId>test</ServerId>
      <ServerType>M3UPlaylist</ServerType>
      <UserFields>
        <UserField>
          <Name>PlaylistPath</Name>
          <Value>C:\Users\Win10\Desktop\Prime.m3u</Value>
        </UserField>
      </UserFields>
    </TunerUserConfiguration>
  </TunerHostsConfiguration>

Basic Instructions:

So steps to installs the service from a clean slate (no previous config file):

1. Install the plugin and restart/start the server.

2. Set the Ip address of the tuner, username and password and zipcode for schedules direct and click save.

3. the page should refresh itself in about 5 seconds, if everything was okay the dropdown should be populated, if not wait a few seconds and hit ctrl-f5 (it may have taken the server a little longer to obtain the data), if nothing still shows check the config file if the password field is empty it mean that probably the username or password was wrong.

4.Select from the dropdown your lineup and click save. Now all the configuration is done.

5. Restart the server so that when Emby starts the server for the first time and asks the service for channels it now has a tuner ip to look for those channels.

6. You need to refresh the guide data again after the server populated the guide data for the images for the guide to show, for some reason even tough the images are downloaded during the first check it doesn't show them until a refresh, we should fix this as it is not a good practice to query schedules direct twice plus it takes a long time depending on the number of channels and days .

5529a87d8688a_channels.png

5529a89108aba_guider.png5529a89e66dcb_showimage.png
Edited by jose
  • Like 9

Well done Jose. This is a big deal folks so please try it out and report your feedback. This plugin is going to mean full live tv integration without the need for any additional software.

• Like 3

This looks great.  I was hoping someone might take a shot at this to take one more piece of software out of the setup.  Which HDHomerun tuners are supported?  I have one of the very first versions so probably will not work but this might be a good reason to upgrade!

you'll need to have one that supports the dlna features. even better if you get the h264 model

you'll need to have one that supports the dlna features. even better if you get the h264 model

Thanks for the quick answer...makes sense. I wish they had a model that supports both OTA and encrypted cable but I guess I can use the old one for OTA.  Last question for now...does this require Emby running on a Windows machine?   The SD site has a lot of information about the Prime model only working with WMC so wondered if this is a requirement.

mediacowboy

Just noticed this and have a question. Can I install this and have ServerWMC running?

This plugin should run in any os the server runs, it shouldnt interfer with serverwmc but i dont know how the server decides which service to ask for streams and recordings.

I have the Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner HDHR3-US. Would this work and if not, which model would you recommend?

Could you also post an image of the set up page showing an example of the host name/ip address etc.?

I have the Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner HDHR3-US. Would this work and if not, which model would you recommend?

Could you also post an image of the set up page showing an example of the host name/ip address etc.?

I am working on the config page (adding multiple hosts/devices) when i finish with that one i will post an image. For now you need to input the ip of the device example: 192.168.1.2 and check the box if you want only those channels that are stared to show. 

It works with the tuners that support dlna at the moment. I dont think your model supports dlna. 

I am working on the config page (adding multiple hosts/devices) when i finish with that one i will post an image. For now you need to input the ip of the device example: 192.168.1.2 and check the box if you want only those channels that are stared to show. 

It works with the tuners that support dlna at the moment. I dont think your model supports dlna. 

Thanks. That's why my ip address did not work. Any particular model?

Check here all that say that they support dlna/upnp

https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/

And those that say transcode would be even better as the server has to do less work (code is not yet implemented but will be just need to clean up some other stuff before i start working with that)

Thanks. Appreciated. Good work.

New update partial support for multiple hosts.

Based on Luke html/javascript code from Folder sync i tried to do the same to have multiple hosts, at the moment it is experimental and the two host should contain channels on the same lineup. 

552b3fb734017_multipleHosts.png

are you able to discover them?

Not at the moment the user has to put the ip of them it may possible as they are dlna devices.

Awesome work on this. With WMC seemingly not appearing in Win10, this will be a very important plugin for a lot of us :)

kaebelhar

Thanks for working on this, I can't wait to see how this progresses so I can get rid of WMC and just use EMBY Theater.

I tried version 0.5.2.41984.  I installed the plugin, at first it had no place on the setup page to enter the ip address of my hdhomerun, finally got it to show up after a couple of server restarts and closing my browser, not sure what my issue was.  Got it entered, put in my schedules direct info, saved, selected provider.  Restarted server, refreshed guide data again.  

Went to live tv and there were no channels or guide, went back to the settings and it looks like it didn't save my password for schedules direct so I figured that was why I had no channels/guide info.  I entered it again, and pressed save it keeps saying "error loading page".

Also, in my area 47403, I get 2 providers with the same name (which is correct), could you include the location name in the drop down so I know the correct one to pick? 

Let me know if you need any more info

santhony

Great Work Jose...

I was looking for this feature... I just ordered my HDHomeRun Extend from Amazon Prime..

I'll be testing later this week and post my results!

Thanks for working on this, I can't wait to see how this progresses so I can get rid of WMC and just use EMBY Theater.

I tried version 0.5.2.41984.  I installed the plugin, at first it had no place on the setup page to enter the ip address of my hdhomerun, finally got it to show up after a couple of server restarts and closing my browser, not sure what my issue was.  Got it entered, put in my schedules direct info, saved, selected provider.  Restarted server, refreshed guide data again.  

Went to live tv and there were no channels or guide, went back to the settings and it looks like it didn't save my password for schedules direct so I figured that was why I had no channels/guide info.  I entered it again, and pressed save it keeps saying "error loading page".

Also, in my area 47403, I get 2 providers with the same name (which is correct), could you include the location name in the drop down so I know the correct one to pick? 

Let me know if you need any more info

An error occurred when you didn't have a previous config file on the javascript of the config page it should be fixed on 5.3, fyi once you save your password the field will appear empty, if you want to be sure if a settings was save open the EmbyTV.xml configuration file.

rabbit1543

Noticed a few things regarding this plugin. Some of it im unsure if it is a plugin issue or a server issue. I also realize that the EmbyTV plugin is still in its infancy and there may be some things that have not been fully fleshed out yet. 

1. In the dashboard under LiveTV there is a link labeled EmbyTV towards the top under services. This points to Localhost. This makes this link only usable if you are viewing the dashboard from the Emby server. I would expect that this point to the emby servers LAN address or dyndns address

2. When my wmc htpc is viewing something on one of the 2 HDHRprime units i've added to EmbyTV the tuner status updates that the tuner is in use but it does not display which client is using the tuner. For informational purposes my Emby server and WMC htpc are two seperate pcs.

3. Recorded tv files have obscure names and no metadata. I would like to see filenames that are a bit more descriptive and also have metadata added that would somewhat mimic the metadata of a wtv file.

kaebelhar

An error occurred when you didn't have a previous config file on the javascript of the config page it should be fixed on 5.3, fyi once you save your password the field will appear empty, if you want to be sure if a settings was save open the EmbyTV.xml configuration file.

Thanks.  I was able to get the guide to populate and my channels to show up after I set favorites = false in the xml file.  I had initially added my tuner and told it to only pull favorites but it never would pull anything.  Where are the favorites set?  Maybe that was my issue.    

Also, anybody have luck with setting the quality to anything above 720p?  I've got a hardwired network, but anytime I set it to anything above 720p, the stream really struggled. 

If you go to the ip of the tuner and to channel lineup you can click on the start next to the channels, that way you can filter out channels that repeated or that you dont use.

Noticed a few things regarding this plugin. Some of it im unsure if it is a plugin issue or a server issue. I also realize that the EmbyTV plugin is still in its infancy and there may be some things that have not been fully fleshed out yet. 

1. In the dashboard under LiveTV there is a link labeled EmbyTV towards the top under services. This points to Localhost. This makes this link only usable if you are viewing the dashboard from the Emby server. I would expect that this point to the emby servers LAN address or dyndns address

2. When my wmc htpc is viewing something on one of the 2 HDHRprime units i've added to EmbyTV the tuner status updates that the tuner is in use but it does not display which client is using the tuner. For informational purposes my Emby server and WMC htpc are two seperate pcs.

3. Recorded tv files have obscure names and no metadata. I would like to see filenames that are a bit more descriptive and also have metadata added that would somewhat mimic the metadata of a wtv file.

@@Luke is there any way to include the metadata of the program to record, or that i can access the epg data already on the server from the programid ? I dont want to make another call to get the program info or stored the information in two places. Is it possible for me to query the server for epg information and/or use query the metadata provider of the server?

New version out. 

• Keep a cache for the epg of the channels in case data pull from schedules direct fail it will pull the data from here, also lets you create your own epg for each channel.
  • Recording are now named with their name and release date, also separated into regural tv and movies.
  • Add the recording path as a field on the configuration page.
  • Like 1