NVIDIA Shield Android TV

above1

dark_slayer

I decided to try and play a movie that I stored on my HTPC instead of my UnRAID server and that worked perfectly. I was able to seek, skip chapters and it didnt' miss a beat. That is great and all but I need it to work with my server. I guess I will hit up the UnRAID forums now for a solution.

From someone who has ran a Linux server in the past (windows server these days) I can say that samba is not some simple stand in for SMB depending on the version. Most distros like unraid will bundle samba because it's more widely available, but issues like this can pop up and everyone in the Linux forums will ask why you run Windows or Android or iOS etc since they run Linux everywhere and never have problems. I'm not too saavy with unraid but see if NFS or CIFS alternatives for sharing exist, or an unraid version bump may be a solution (helpful if you could test on some spare hardware with the free trial before migrating your whole server for nothing) Edited by dark_slayer

twitchstick

From someone who has ran a Linux server in the past (windows server these days) I can say that samba is not some simple stand in for SMB depending on the version. Most distros like unraid will bundle samba because it's more widely available, but issues like this can pop up and everyone in the Linux forums will ask why you run Windows or Android or iOS etc since they run Linux everywhere and never have problems. I'm not too saavy with unraid but see if NFS or CIFS alternatives for sharing exist, or an unraid version bump may be a solution (helpful if you could test on some spare hardware with the free trial before migrating your whole server for nothing)

The cable is the culprit. I changed the cables the other day rewiring my network and used a different cable that happens to be a cat6. It was the last thing I thought of since I knew it was working smooth before but I had to use process of elimination. I'm just glad I got it working now. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
Martijn76

Everbody still happy with their Shields?

I'm about to purchase one for use with a low-end unraid fileserver (on HP MicroServer, so no transcoding possible).

Anything I should be aware of?

CBers

Everbody still happy with their Shields?

I'm about to purchase one for use with a low-end unraid fileserver (on HP MicroServer, so no transcoding possible).

Anything I should be aware of?

There's no guarantee that you will Direct Play everything with the Emby ATV app.

You could run Kodi with the Emby add-on for Direct Playback.

Other than that, yes, the shield is an excellent device.

Martijn76

There's no guarantee that you will Direct Play everything with the Emby ATV app.

You could run Kodi with the Emby add-on for Direct Playback.

Other than that, yes, the shield is an excellent device.

Kodi with Emby is my intention. Hope this works as well as I think with two shields (living room and bedroom)

CBers

Kodi with Emby is my intention. Hope this works as well as I think with two shields (living room and bedroom)

You shouldn't have any problems, but if you do, please post in the Emby for Kodi forum.

• 1 month later...
AgileHumor

Does the Shield support HDMI passthrough (like the XBOX) so when it's "off", the normal HDMI input plays?

• 6 months later...
Hi @@above1

The latest beta version of the Emby app offers improved playback, refresh rate switching, and all the HD Audio pass-through you need. Check out the beta thread for more details:

We think you'll enjoy the next update to the stable channel. Thanks !

• 6 months later...
Xorp

Picked up a Shield 2017 version yesterday and immediately loaded up the Emby app and connect it to my server. Overall works really nice. I remux all my discs to mkv and FLAC 5.1/7.1 and it plays those back perfectly. Menus look nice and easy to navigate. Refresh rate switching works and playback is smooth.

Some issue I've collected and features I'd like added:

• Application-wide audio delay setting (24p playback sync is a common issue) instead of a non-persistent per file setting. Seperate 23-25 setting like in ET would also be great.
  • Audio delay adjustments of greater granularity than 100ms (10ms is preferred)
  • Cover art missing from some menu locations
  • Theme songs and video backdrop feature missing
  • Better indication of Direct Play being used (app video settings says playback at 110 Mbit/s, Emby server says Direct)
  • Subtitles look very ugly - basic SRT subtitles render in an blurry, chunky look. [Edit July 20 2017: I believe this has been fixed]
  • Text SRT subtitle customizer feature from other Emby apps missing
  • Animated .ass subtitles do not animate
  • Fast-forward and Rewind is slow and clunky, holding down FF or RW to speed up rate of seeking like in YouTube app is a good model
  • Not deinterlacing interlaced content (only checked 480i)
  • Everything gets decoded to 48kHz? If playback 96kHz or 192kHz content, my receiver says the signal is 48kHz. Can't test if 24-bit is being preserved or converted to 16-bit
Edited by Xorp
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
Devdroid

Picked up a Shield 2017 version yesterday and immediately loaded up the Emby app and connect it to my server. Overall works really nice. I remux all my discs to mkv and FLAC 5.1/7.1 and it plays those back perfectly. Menus look nice and easy to navigate. Refresh rate switching works and playback is smooth.

Some issue I've collected and features I'd like added:

• Application-wide audio delay setting (24p playback sync is a common issue) instead of a non-persistent per file setting. Seperate 23-25 setting like in ET would also be great.
  • Audio delay adjustments of greater granularity than 100ms (10ms is preferred)
  • Cover art missing from some menu locations
  • Theme songs and video backdrop feature missing
  • Better indication of Direct Play being used (app video settings says playback at 110 Mbit/s, Emby server says Direct)
  • Subtitles look very ugly - basic SRT subtitles render in an blurry, chunky look. [Edit July 20 2017: I believe this has been fixed]
  • Text SRT subtitle customizer feature from other Emby apps missing
  • Animated .ass subtitles do not animate
  • Fast-forward and Rewind is slow and clunky, holding down FF or RW to speed up rate of seeking like in YouTube app is a good model
  • Not deinterlacing interlaced content (only checked 480i)
  • Everything gets decoded to 48kHz? If playback 96kHz or 192kHz content, my receiver says the signal is 48kHz. Can't test if 24-bit is being preserved or converted to 16-bit

Yes, I really miss video backdrop support now that we have epic plugins available that downloads the backdrops automatically. 

I also wish for subtitle render settings. I prefer yellow subtitles as white is much too bright on modern TV:s. Especially with OLED!

Edited by Devdroid