If a movie is part of a collection, only show the collection.

jeremymeyers

jeremymeyers

I have a bunch of 2-disc "special editions" ripped to video_ts format, using the "Disc 1, Disc 2" standard. I would like for there to be two things related to this

1) On the website at least, browsing through movies shows each disc as its own movie, rather than grouping them together as a collection. This would be fine (or at least acceptable), except that it also does not have any visual indicator of which disc is which.  I see how collections are useful as their own nav, but there should definitely be a way to have them grouped together in the main "movies" section.  There appears to be a "Group movies into collections" preference in the user prefs, but maybe it's not working?

2) When viewing a collection comprised of titles with the Disc # format, show a disc number indicator, so it is possible to determine which is the movie and which is the bonus features, or whatever.  This is also true for "Studios" view.

Edited by jeremymeyers

Koleckai Silvestri

1) In the web client select My Preferences by clicking on your icon in the top right corner. You can set it so collections are collapsed.

2) Special features for a movie should go into an Extras folder under the movie and the display will change.

Not sure how either of these work when you rip to a disc format though. I find that format doesn't make sense in the modern world.

if you click the help button on the library setup page, it will take you to the wiki where you can view the naming conventions for multi-disc movies. if you follow that then you'll get the discs grouped together rather than as separate titles.

jeremymeyers

1) In the web client select My Preferences by clicking on your icon in the top right corner. You can set it so collections are collapsed.

Yeah I have this done, but it does not seem to be working via http://app.emby.media

2) Special features for a movie should go into an Extras folder under the movie and the display will change.

Not sure how either of these work when you rip to a disc format though. I find that format doesn't make sense in the modern world.

@koleckai : I have 300+ movies ripped from DVD, most of them with at least one worthwhile bonus feature.  Unlike many people, I do actually watch and enjoy the making-of documentaries and commentary tracks.  If there is a way to demux my collection in a manner that keeps these features intact, i would be happy to do that. I dont really care about the menu system or anything.  But, for example, the Lord of the Rings dvds include like 20 hours of bonus features per movie and its just not feasible to go in and separate all those out manually.

If i just wanted to watch movies, i'd stream them from netflix or amazon or whatever at this point.

if you click the help button on the library setup page, it will take you to the wiki where you can view the naming conventions for multi-disc movies. if you follow that then you'll get the discs grouped together rather than as separate titles.

I have renamed the files appropriately.  see: Aladdin, via explorer

5525bdf80914f_Screenshot20150408194414.p

Aladdin in the "Movies" view

5525be1ae4c2f_Screenshot20150408194447.p

and a search for "Aladdin"

5525be30af041_Screenshot20150408194521.p

the presence of the collection.xml is causing it to be treated like a collection of movies, rather than a single movie spanning multiple discs

• Like 1

jeremymeyers

Hooray, that seemed to address the issue.  Thank you, Luke.

On a related note, is the ability to view a disc as a DVD rip (i.e. with the lame menus) at all present in the app version or anything other than MBClassic for Wndows Media Center?

No modern solution is going to support disc-based playback with menus and such.  WMC can play video_ts formats with menus and the old-school PC players like TMT (now discontinued) and PowerDVD probably can as well.  BD gets even more difficult with the options really just being TMT or PDVD I think.

Deathsquirrel

If you want to, and I certainly recommend it, you can run the discs through MakeMKV.  It can easily convert every special video into its own MKV file that you can then drop in the Extras folder.

Koleckai Silvestri

@koleckai : I have 300+ movies ripped from DVD, most of them with at least one worthwhile bonus feature.  Unlike many people, I do actually watch and enjoy the making-of documentaries and commentary tracks.  If there is a way to demux my collection in a manner that keeps these features intact, i would be happy to do that. I dont really care about the menu system or anything.  But, for example, the Lord of the Rings dvds include like 20 hours of bonus features per movie and its just not feasible to go in and separate all those out manually.

If i just wanted to watch movies, i'd stream them from netflix or amazon or whatever at this point.

I hear ya. I have over 200 animated films and over 1500 cartoons and all their extras. My live action library is approaching 800 films and I keep the extras for my favorites there as well. Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit take up about 500 GB of storage with their extras and I don't even have the last Hobbit movie on my system yet..

I use MakeMKV and it will pull everything off the discs.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri