Bandwidth setting questions

fc7

Can someone explain me how the bandwidth setting in the app works?

Is the rate setting in MegaBytes per second or is it Megabits?

The highest setting is 120MB/s, if those are megabytes per second it will mean that you will need a connection that is faster than gigabit to reach the limit?

If my LAN connection is 100mbit which limit should I use?

Sorry for all the different questions but I'm really confused with this setting.

Thanks.

fuzzthekingoftrees

The setting is in megabits/s

technically it's in mebibits/s

Edited by fuzzthekingoftrees
  • Like 1

FrostByte

I believe it's Mbps like fuzz mentions and should match what your tv says it can handle in the users manual and not what your network can handle.  I use 30 Mbps setting on my F8000 and my Samsung HTS, some of the newer tvs/hts can go higher.  A file higher than your setting will be transcoded

552455e33b82a_Untitled1.jpg

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

The setting is in megabits/s

technically it's in mebibits/s

So the app will check the bitrate of the video file and then transcode it accordingly to this limit if needed?

fuzzthekingoftrees

yep, like FrostByte says the server will transcode if the bandwidth is above your setting, also the server will transcode if your TV can't play one of the codecs or the container.

I believe it's Mbps like fuzz mentions and should match what your tv says it can handle in the users manual and not what your network can handle. I use 30 Mbps setting on my F8000 and my Samsung HTS, some of the newer tvs/hts can go higher. A file higher than your setting will be transcoded

552455e33b82a_Untitled1.jpg

This makes more sense than what I understood from the app GUI.

Maybe it worth changing the setting name to "max bitrate/connection speed" or something like that?

Edited by fc7

FrostByte

It could.  The description says what your network can handle, but I guess it could say something like what your device and/or network can handle.  I suppose some people may have networks slower than what their tv or hts can handle and it should be set at the slowest of the 2.  Or, chess was just lumping everything together and figuring the tv/hts was part of your network?

Edited by FrostByte