Movie Theme Videos Plugin Questions and Support Thread

radeon

radeon

So do I need to delete all the themes for movies that are listed in this thread as "bad" or is that done automatically and updated with any new, corrected theme?

At the minute, yes, I'm looking at ways to keep users 'in sync' with the available media to make sure everyone has the most accurate collection of themes. Development hasn't started on it yet though, my real world has taken over for a little while. :-(

radeon

Hi Radeon,

I do see some entries that are incorrect, can I suggest to have another option that can flag an item that was downloaded and records some kind of checksum, then it will stop any further downloads, but only if the file in the CN matches the checksum. This way we can flag incorrect themes and only if the file changes, we get a new download.This flag can also be used in the CN to delete the file and if someone tries to re upload it, we can use the same kind of checksum at the server to stop the upload again.

The new icon to flag a download would flag the incorrect theme, record the checksum, then delete the them. This will keep the media clean in case another correct version is available.

Also another scenario is that a"new" theme is available, but it has the wrong file attached. Since it might be an older movie in the database, we might not notice that we have the wrong data until later, so we can get a screen similar to the auto organize, where if a file in the CN has a different checksum than the file in our server, we would get a screen that will allow to either keep the current file (it could have been manually added) or replace it with the one in the CN.

Yup, already being looked into, there are a few problems to work through though, for example, I cant do a match on the file on the server and the file locally using something like a checksum as the file will always be different on the server to the one you have on the local machine if you have audio normalisation enabled, which 99.9% will have as its enabled by default. I could log the checksum before it gets normalised but then i wouldnt have backwards compatibility.  I have a few ideas tho! Dont worry! :-D

DigiTM

@Radeon Hobbit is fixed, I am currently sending this to you to double check.  The reason I would like you to double check it is, I have found a way to get the menu's directly from the bluray as MP4 and at a much smaller size without loss.  At least I am hoping, thus why I would like you to double check.
This will eliminate the need to have them as MKV from MakeMKV and send them to you to convert, and I can just start putting them in the movie folders and wait for the contributors network to upload them.

Just wondering though, since I do a lot of menus, if I start only doing it through the contributors network, does that mean if someone doesn't have it enabled then they won't receive my menus?

Edited by DigiTM
  • Like 1

foghat

I too would like to know the best way to contribute.  Upload to you directly or just let the network pull it up.  Right now I am actually doing both, as I am too impatient to wait for you to process.  :)

radeon

@Radeon Hobbit is fixed, I am currently sending this to you to double check.  The reason I would like you to double check it is, I have found a way to get the menu's directly from the bluray as MP4 and at a much smaller size without loss.  At least I am hoping, thus why I would like you to double check.

This will eliminate the need to have them as MKV from MakeMKV and send them to you to convert, and I can just start putting them in the movie folders and wait for the contributors network to upload them.

Just wondering though, since I do a lot of menus, if I start only doing it through the contributors network, does that mean if someone doesn't have it enabled then they won't receive my menus?

Nice one, yeah, you can put them in your local folders and let them upload. You're right tho, if you do that, only those with the contributors network enabled will get them. I dont mind that though. Its a good incentive for them to have it enabled.

radeon

I too would like to know the best way to contribute.  Upload to you directly or just let the network pull it up.  Right now I am actually doing both, as I am too impatient to wait for you to process.  :)

Just add them to your local folders as they will be automatically uploaded and distributed as long as they are under 100mb.

Although, are you sure the ones your sending my directly as all I have had off you of recent is Frozen but that was the exact same file I added to the plugin via the contribution network?

foghat

Within the past week or I have sent you directly: frozen (last night), total recall (2012), princess bride, and I think one other, but can't remember what.

These also probably would have also been uploaded via the contributor network.

My process is to add the move and run the plugin. If a theme doesn't download, I create my own, add it to the movie folder and then upload to you directly.

I will just add it to the movie folder for contributor upload from now on.

Edited by foghat

foghat

Nice one, yeah, you can put them in your local folders and let them upload. You're right tho, if you do that, only those with the contributors network enabled will get them. I dont mind that though. Its a good incentive for them to have it enabled.

Where that falls apart though is you have people who have paid for the plugin who don't want to contribute. And if the direction you are giving is to now just submit via contributor network, those guys aren't going to see many new updates...

DigiTM

Using DVDFab now instead.  Love the fact it can let me preview a title before ripping it (time saving to see if it's the correct title).  Plus for doing the bluray menu themes it instantly converts to high quality MP4 with uncompressed audio.  And I have found a couple of menus on Warner Bros titles for the first time.   (though they suck such as just a static background with theme music playing)

• Like 1

foghat

Using DVDFab now instead.  Love the fact it can let me preview a title before ripping it (time saving to see if it's the correct title).  Plus for doing the bluray menu themes it instantly converts to high quality MP4 with uncompressed audio.  And I have found a couple of menus on Warner Bros titles for the first time.   (though they suck such as just a static background with theme music playing)

Hmmm will have to check that out. I too have checked a few wb ones in my bluray player and,yes, they are static menus.

radeon

Where that falls apart though is you have people who have paid for the plugin who don't want to contribute. And if the direction you are giving is to now just submit via contributor network, those guys aren't going to see many new updates...

I think that's more than reasonable. And i really don't consider it to be falling apart by encouraging more users to contribute to make an already massive collection bigger.  If they don't want to be part of a two way network then i don't see why they should get access to the new themes I haven't been able to acquire and that have been contributed by other people in the network. They still get access to over 2000 other themes as standard.

Even if they have the box ticked and dont have a single new theme to upload, they will still get the download so i really dont see what the big deal is.

Edited by radeon

foghat

I think that's more than reasonable. If they don't want to be part of a two way network then i don't see why they should get access to the new themes I haven't been able to acquire and that have been contributed by other people in the network. They still get access to over 2000 other themes as standard.

Even if they have the box ticked and dont have a single new theme to upload, they will still get the download so i really dont see what the big deal is.

Just perception, I guess - some may not feel comfortable joining the 'network' for whatever reason.

I would have thought that from your pov (plugin sales) you'd want as many themes accessible by as many people as possible. I view the contributor network as a great way to easily up your theme count, but unless there are technical limitations, not sure why you'd limit who has access to the themes to other contributors only.

The people contributing do so because they want to make their 'work' available to as many people as possible. At least that is my view.

• Like 1

foghat

Also, if I add my own theme or get a theme from the network, will it end up showing in the downloaded list?

radeon

Just perception, I guess - some may not feel comfortable joining the 'network' for whatever reason.

I would have thought that from your pov (plugin sales) you'd want as many themes accessible by as many people as possible. I view the contributor network as a great way to easily up your theme count, but unless there are technical limitations, not sure why you'd limit who has access to the themes to other contributors only.

The people contributing do so because they want to make their 'work' available to as many people as possible. At least that is my view.

Yeah, i do see that, the thing is, there are advantages and disadvantages to being in the network. Take you for example, you deliver high quality themes which we know are accurate to their metadata and will generally be a success whereas, from the reports on other themes, some are just completely wrong, trailers, bad quality etc. Whilst im looking at ways to relieve this and ways to report it, it will always happend and by being a part of this network, the users are accepting the fact that these themes might not be as perfect as the confirmed themes in the 'standard' collection.

In an ideal world, i would just merge the lot and have all themes available to the users and an option to upload separate if people want to. I suppose what im saying is quality is a concern.

If i can iron out those issues, i may look to separate them.

On another note, by tying the two together, It has clearly encouraged people to be involved as they actively get something back out of it by contributing.

• Like 1

radeon

Also, if I add my own theme or get a theme from the network, will it end up showing in the downloaded list?

Yeah, if you add a theme and it gets uploaded, it will be added to the upload filter but it wont be in your download filter as you uploaded it.

foghat

Yeah, i do see that, the thing is, there are advantages and disadvantages to being in the network. Take you for example, you deliver high quality themes which we know are accurate to their metadata and will generally be a success whereas, from the reports on other themes, some are just completely wrong, trailers, bad quality etc. Whilst im looking at ways to relieve this and ways to report it, it will always happend and by being a part of this network, the users are accepting the fact that these themes might not be as perfect as the confirmed themes in the 'standard' collection.

In an ideal world, i would just merge the lot and have all themes available to the users and an option to upload separate if people want to. I suppose what im saying is quality is a concern.

If i can iron out those issues, i may look to separate them.

On another note, by tying the two together, It has clearly encouraged people to be involved as they actively get something back out of it by contributing.

Fair enough.

So would you rather I upload to you (in addition to uploading to network) so that everyone can benefit?

Edited by foghat

radeon

Fair enough.

So would you rather I upload to you (in addition to uploading to network) so that everyone can benefit?

Well they cant be listed twice so it would be one or the other. I'm quite happy for people to have to tick the button in order to get the quality.

I mean, even if they dont have a single new one to upload, they will get access to all of the new ones and I'm looking at adding a new 'sync' feature which will remove the wrong'uns from their collections and and when they are removed from the server and replaced with a new one if its available. It needs a lot of thought and time which i really dont have at the minute but i do plan on bringing something.

• Like 1

Scott84Z28

Well they cant be listed twice so it would be one or the other. I'm quite happy for people to have to tick the button in order to get the quality.

I mean, even if they dont have a single new one to upload, they will get access to all of the new ones and I'm looking at adding a new 'sync' feature which will remove the wrong'uns from their collections and and when they are removed from the server and replaced with a new one if its available. It needs a lot of thought and time which i really dont have at the minute but i do plan on bringing something.

A "sync" feature to clean up the wrong themes would be perfect.  Looking forward to that!

foghat

@@radeon, am noticing that even on some newer movies, The Wolf of Wall Street, for example - the theme downloaded is only 720p. I have replaced the downloaded version with a 1080p one that I did. My 1080p one will not be uploaded I assume. Do you want me to send it to you so you can replace the 720p one?

It's really cool to see everyone getting behind this.  When it's all said and done we are all going to have some real nice, high quality themes. 

• Like 1

JDizzy

Would it be possible to keep the themes to one format like mp4?

As it is, I use an external player for videos.

I have configured MBT to send all video (except mp4) to the external player.

I also renamed all my movies to have the mkv extension.

This way, the themes are played by MBT. If they end up going to the external player, the result is no menus or any description overlay.

Of course, I can easily rename the themes as they come in but seems if they could be all one extension type (mp4) as they are uploaded it would also help. (at least me)

Also, I have made a theme to try out. Where do you put it to have the system pick it up?

I know the downloaded themes are in hidden folders.

Edited by JDizzy

foghat

The theme needs to be placed in a backdrops folder within your movie folder. These are not hidden.

radeon

Would it be possible to keep the themes to one format like mp4?

As it is, I use an external player for videos.

I have configured MBT to send all video (except mp4) to the external player.

I also renamed all my movies to have the mkv extension.

This way, the themes are played by MBT. If they end up going to the external player, the result is no menus or any description overlay.

Of course, I can easily rename the themes as they come in but seems if they could be all one extension type (mp4) as they are uploaded it would also help. (at least me)

Also, I have made a theme to try out. Where do you put it to have the system pick it up?

I know the downloaded themes are in hidden folders.

Anything within the "official" range of themes will be mp4, anything as part of the contribution network will be anything thats a video, less than 100mb and above 720p in quality.

I do tend to convert files which are anything but mp4, especially if they are large, but its not restricted as I really want the best collection rate possible and restricting MKV would almost halve the amount of submissions.

Whilst I see your predicament, it almost seems like a bug/oversight in mbt if its launching an external player for theme media as it defeats the object.

The theme needs to be placed in a backdrops folder within your movie folder. These are not hidden.

backdrops\theme.ext should be marked as hidden under windows. I know some users with unraid etc dont accept those file attributes but the plugin will attempt to hide them where possible.

foghat

backdrops\theme.ext should be marked as hidden under windows. I know some users with unraid etc dont accept those file attributes but the plugin will attempt to hide them where possible.

Gotcha.

Can you please comment on post #269

Thx.

geno27

found some trailer themes -

The Goonies (1985) - 9340

Resident Evil - Retribution (2012) - 71679

Despicable Me 2 (2013) 93456 

Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991) - 280

incorrect theme

Safe (2012) - 72387 - playing the correct theme for Safe House (2012) 59961

Ride Along (2014) 168530 - random clip from the movie