To transcode or not to transcode

EduardoSantos

EduardoSantos

Hi everybody,

I am running:

- Emby Server version 3.0.5572.0

- Roku app version 1.87

(but I also bought Android, Windows 8 and ios apps)

My Roku 3 outputs its HDMI content to a 7.2 amp with DD (AC3) and DTS support.

The Roku is, thus, configured in order to pass-through audio streams to be decoded by the amp.

It occurs, though, that when various movies (MKVs with DTS audio streams) are played, I get no "Direct play" but, instead, a transcoded stream.

I am unable to realize why the app decides to translate these movies but this result on a big loss (surround audio is reduced to stereo).

On the effort to understand why these movies are translated, I remembered this Roku still has a previous version of the MediaBrowser app (1.17.6). To my surprise this old version not only plays these files directly (thus correctly passing through audio streams) but also supports subtitles playing all these "suspect" files gracefully.

I understand Emby's development efforts are not focused on the Roku app on this moment.

I am personally waiting for a long time for just a test and validation on this other issue.

Even though, I ask for some attention to this platform/app. Though I get excited about Emby's new features, I have basic problems which are almost preventing me to use Emby on my central home theater room.

I can quickly send logs, mediainfo or any other info required to understand this problem's scenario (it is even possible to directly connect to my server) but I would like it very much to use latest Emby's Roku app version to watch all my movies… 

Thanks for the attention,

dansblackcat

Any chance you have just forgotten to increase the video mbps streaming setting in the Emby Roku channel menu?  From memory the default setting will always transcode media.

Edited by dansblackcat

EduardoSantos

Any chance you have just forgotten to increase the video mbps streaming setting in the Emby Roku channel menu?  From memory the default setting will always transcode media.

Thanks for the suggestion but no, streaming is configured to 30Mbps.

Most strange thing is that the Roku app is now transcoding movies wich I already have seen on this same app/version/device without transcodind?!?!

Any help, please??

EduardoSantos

Well, channel added... Late on the evening I'll try it on some of the movies the current official version does not "like".

Thanks,

EduardoSantos

Sirs,

New Emby Roku app version (1.97) really changed transcoding "decision" on several movies that were being transcoded by the last version!!!!

All MKV/X264/DTS files I tested played directly just fine passingthru audio to be decoded by the amp.

There is still an issue relating to DolbyDigital audio streams:
- 2.0 channel DolbyDigital streams are being correctly passed through
- 5.1 channel DolbyDigital streams results on transcoding so they are downmixed to 2.0 aac.
Though this 5.1 DD behavior ruins surround sound, on this very specific moment this is better than directly passingthru the 5.1 DD audio stream. Why?
Because there is some kind of bug on the most current Roku firmware that results on serious jitter when any kind of DD audio stream is passedthru to the HDMI.
On this Roku firmware, DD audio results on unbearable video - As this Emby version transcodes DD5.1, this poor video occurs only with 2.0 DD audio.

I refer to this problem on this post and I have an open ticket about it on Roku support.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
dansblackcat

Could it be that the audio is actually Dolby Digital +, not just regular DD.  I fell for this trap as my Amp/Receiver didn't support DD+.

EduardoSantos

I am pretty certain the video problem when playing mkvs with dolby digital audio streams occurs due to a Roku firmware problem.

My receiver supports DD+ and I am able to play various NetFlix DD+ streams nicely within this same Roku device. On the other hand the issue occurs with all DD mkv files.

See... Problem with DD occurs not only with Emby but also with Roku's default media player. As stated I currently have an open support ticket with Roku but it seems to be low priority…

This really amazes me. I would suppose there would be lots of Roku users complaining about playing DD files. Only explanation I can think is that no one enabled the passthru.